Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 06:41 PM
RE: Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family
Hello AW and WW! I keep my fingers crossed for you. It's great that you're not held back by religious differences and family. Persons should be so much more than their labels and families of origin.

If I was in your situation, I would just confess to being a methodist. That means, knowledge (or faith) is only as good as its method, it's the journey that matters, not the goal. Most people's method of getting to faith is just growing up around another person of faith. That's not a good method, because lots of people grew up around other people and they grew up quite different. So that's why I'd choose a different method.

Maybe God's word does not change, but people seem to change a lot. They can't talk to each other over religious differences. Religions split and divide people and they hardly ever merge. That's a good reason to stop worrying about getting the right credentials for God and to focus on the method. The method is the reason and senses, which is the only thing that we really have for day to day use. To reason and senses alone, shepherds in Middle East aren't any more important than cowboys in Texas.

There are some side effects to this philosophy, but I think it's a good intro. It's quite a conversation stopper, but it's innocent, I think. Not provocative.

(06-10-2014 12:34 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Say no thank you. But you're going to have to say it in their babble.

Ach nee ddoodoo peetteee.

Laugh out load

Anyways, you don't have to be accepted by her family. You're not going to change for them, and that's likely what they expect you to do with their bible study. Don't waste their time or yours for the sake of trying to be accepted by the family.
That reminds me of something. Consider Are you from Czech Republic?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2014, 07:58 PM
If your girlfriend is an atheist than I would kindly tell the mom no. It's nice to have family approval but your girlfriend is the only one that matters.

She doesmt have the right to place stipulations on you so not let her unless she's willing to compromise.
19-10-2014, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2014 11:48 PM by AutumnWolf000.)
(19-10-2014 03:43 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

WHERE IS THE CUTE COUPLE?

There is a thread for pictures if you care to follow up the <ahem> invitation. Smile

I will have to check with Winter first to make sure he doesn't have a problem with me posting one... I'm fine with it... Although, it would seem to make more sense to post it in the thread for which the photo was asked... lol
22-10-2014, 09:10 AM
(19-10-2014 11:42 PM)AutumnWolf000 Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 03:43 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

WHERE IS THE CUTE COUPLE?

There is a thread for pictures if you care to follow up the <ahem> invitation. Smile

I will have to check with Winter first to make sure he doesn't have a problem with me posting one... I'm fine with it... Although, it would seem to make more sense to post it in the thread for which the photo was asked... lol
I have no problem with pictures. Get my good side love. HeartBig Grin

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
23-10-2014, 12:21 PM
(22-10-2014 09:10 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 11:42 PM)AutumnWolf000 Wrote:  I will have to check with Winter first to make sure he doesn't have a problem with me posting one... I'm fine with it... Although, it would seem to make more sense to post it in the thread for which the photo was asked... lol
I have no problem with pictures. Get my good side love. HeartBig Grin

I'm trying to upload one, but I'm having trouble. Will upload one when I can.
12-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I apologize that it's been a few months since I first started trying to post the picture that you requested... It's finally (hopefully) allowing me to do this... I hope that it works... If it turns out to be bad quality, I apologize.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 4 users Like AutumnWolf000's post
13-12-2014, 05:15 AM
My suggestion:
ask what the study is on
come prepared
have fun with it

It will show them 2 things: that you are confident in your thoughts and that you love their daughter. If you aren't willing to fight for you beliefs and loves what does that say about you and your beliefs from their perspective?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
13-12-2014, 11:36 AM
A friend married a Pentecostal gal from Kentucky. The marriage was working as long as they remained here, many, many miles away from family influence. She began wanting to spend more and more time with family and well, the marriage lasted 5 yrs. The family was so caught up in his lack of religious belief that they failed to see all the positives in their marriage. He was thankful that they hadn't yet had any children.
13-12-2014, 12:58 PM
(13-12-2014 11:36 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  A friend married a Pentecostal gal from Kentucky. The marriage was working as long as they remained here, many, many miles away from family influence. She began wanting to spend more and more time with family and well, the marriage lasted 5 yrs. The family was so caught up in his lack of religious belief that they failed to see all the positives in their marriage. He was thankful that they hadn't yet had any children.

At the risk of getting off topic...

Blaming the family might be a case of confusing correlation with causation. They just happened to live far away while they were in the honeymoon phase of their marriage. Her desire to spend more time with her family could have been an indication of growing dissatisfaction with the marriage as the newness wore off.

I think it's likely they were on their way out already before her family became an issue, and it's entirely possible that the first few years of their marriage could have been great even if they did live by her family.

The underlying issue is that humans just aren't build for long term monogamy, and we complicate the analysis with our tendency to take credit for things going well and assigning blame for things going wrong.

The honeymoon phase can last from 0 - 3 years. We tend to give ourselves credit for having amazing relationship skills during that period even though things would have been good anyway. After that point, marital satisfaction drops, and it starts taking work. At about seven years (aka "7 year itch") couples either get tired of working at it and split or adapt (next stop 10 years for alimony or 20 years when the kids get out of school...).

The truth is that all relationships are temporary, they're easier in the beginning and "happily ever after" is just a lie sold by Disney. So...

Xenia Onatopp: Enjoy it while it lasts.
James Bond: The very words I live by.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
13-12-2014, 05:23 PM
(13-12-2014 12:58 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  The underlying issue is that humans just aren't build for long term monogamy,

I disagree. I think that some people are and some people aren't. Some people are driven by their sex drive, others with an urge to find a life long companion. I also think that this may be genetic.