Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: Going to meet GF's Pentacostal family
(13-12-2014 05:23 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 12:58 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  The underlying issue is that humans just aren't build for long term monogamy,

I disagree. I think that some people are and some people aren't. Some people are driven by their sex drive, others with an urge to find a life long companion. I also think that this may be genetic.

It's very likely genetic. If your parents didn't have any children, it's likely you won't. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2014, 07:48 PM
(06-10-2014 10:39 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Okay so I've been with my current gf for 10 months now and I swear I'm in love with this woman.

Her family is Pentacostal and doesn't exactly approve of her dating an open atheist (they don't know she's left the faith to), but her mother is going to give me a chance to meet me.

So I'm going to be flying to Tennessee this New Years to spend a week with her family, her mother approved this on one condition.

She wants me to go through a Bible study session with a friend of the family's (who amusingly enough shares my first name, Cory)

So I just want to ask if there's any advice I could get on this?
I really love this woman and if this is what I have to do for her family to accept me then so be it.

Cory, her "condition" is disrespecting your religion. It's kind of a creepy request to ask you to go one-on-one to a buybull study with a complete stranger, and I would wonder why your lady isn't going, too. What will be waiting for you? Ha!

You'll be fine, just suck it up, embrace the creepy, and don't laugh inappropriately! I admire your strength and love for your lovely lady, however, it's hard to imagine ever having the respect of her parents by atheist default, so just keep that in mind with your head up. Meet them, dazzle them with your intelligence and wit (hoping you have those), let them know you will protect their daughter (very important, you heathen), and realize that no matter how this visit goes, it is probably already decided, and it will most likely have the outcome her parents create.

Vive la différence! Love hard.

~incrédulité~
Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 05:18 AM
If you love the girl and think it's worth it: I would read the skeptics annotated bible beforehand, just to keep sane.

Knights who say NI!
Find all posts by this user