Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 03:11 PM
RE: Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.
Listen to Bucky man. He's right on the money.

Your parents are sending you because they think it's unhealthy to be an atheist. That doesn't mean your doc will agree with them. Like Bucky said, make an effort to take full advantage of this opportunity. In fact, I'd suggest telling him about being uncomfortable with strangers first thing. He'll know how to better put you at ease. Then, maybe the two of you can talk about things that actually are important, like your crazy folks!

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-10-2012, 03:12 PM
(30-10-2012 03:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 03:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  Take it easy. Tell him you're pissed and why. Just be straight up honest like you are the forum.

I am only mad that they would waste money on something as stupid as this.

Then don't let it be a waste. Make something of it.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
30-10-2012, 03:27 PM
As long as its not a "Christian" therapist, you'll actually probably have him/her on your side. Otherwise, you're extra screwed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I have said it once, and I'll say it a thousand times.

When you make posts or talk on subjects like this, about you having to do something because your carers are making you.

I want not much more than to meet your caretakers, and very carefully, in little words so they can understand, explain how the mind works (in this case). Though I would just love the opportunity to beat something into a veritable pulp, I'v got a lot of pent up anger that could be put to constructive use like that..

My own insanity aside, I suggest you try to turn it around as others have already suggested. Later on if you repeat visits psychoanalysis him, just for shits and giggles!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-10-2012, 04:04 PM
(30-10-2012 02:41 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're not "getting analyzed". He's just gonna talk. Don't prejudge him. Maybe you'll like him/her. He may end up being a resource for you.

I am not judging, I just prefer not to talk to people about me, my past and my ideas with out me giving it away. Plus, I don't feel comfortable being in rooms with strangers.

You don't have to tell him or her everything, or anything, on the first visit. His or her job is to build a rapport with you. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to talk, that means you have a sense of needing trust in relationships- something everyone needs.

Bucky is right on the ball, every post. I've voluntarily been to psychiatrists and loved it. The doctor doesn't diagnose you if there is nothing to diagnose, but they will help with skills to process anything you'd like to improve on in life. If your attitude about the experience adjusted then this could actually be a good time. I feel like we all 'know' you here on this forum and I don't see anything but a normal person with a few problems out of your control (parents, situational, etc).

In fact, you could even tell this person about how you feel about the circumstance you're in with them, how you view the doctorate they have and how you don't really want to be there. Nothing wrong with saying that, it's perfectly acceptable.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
30-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Parents sat in the session.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
30-10-2012, 06:34 PM
When your caretakers realize that it wont convert you to whatever religion they'll pull you from it anyway.
Your caretakers want this for their own personal interests. The psychiatrist is there for YOUR personal interests, not your caretakers. When they see that you'll be pulled from faster then something that gets rapidly pulled from something else.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
30-10-2012, 06:36 PM
First session...ok, maybe that's justifiable depending on his approach.

If it happens again though, I'd be calling bullshit.

Did he ask anything outside of the normal "getting to know you" bullshit?

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 06:36 PM
He made me take a test about how I usually feel and I think I might test positive for something. I checked yes for "Are you bored with your life?" And many other things that might hint I have autism of some sort, but all of those can be explained as soon as I talk to him again, privately.

Plus, I think he is secretly an atheist as well. I thought I saw him wink when he asked me my current religion and I answered none. Couldn't be too sure though.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
30-10-2012, 06:37 PM
(30-10-2012 06:31 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Parents sat in the session.

Was it a "Christian" therapist ?

You can say : " I want the session to be private, and no one in the room with me and the therapist. If not, I refuse to say anything."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)