Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 06:40 PM
RE: Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.
(30-10-2012 06:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  First session...ok, maybe that's justifiable depending on his approach.

If it happens again though, I'd be calling bullshit.

Did he ask anything outside of the normal "getting to know you" bullshit?

He asked if I raped anybody, has sexual intercourse, did drugs, or have thoughts of suicide. All of which I answered no to.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds pretty standard for a first session, all the formal stuff out of the way. I don't imagine he'd have your parents there everytime, that would make it difficult to get you to open up. So, you survived so far? Smile
30-10-2012, 06:49 PM
(30-10-2012 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sounds pretty standard for a first session, all the formal stuff out of the way. I don't imagine he'd have your parents there everytime, that would make it difficult to get you to open up. So, you survived so far? Smile

Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

30-10-2012, 06:58 PM
(30-10-2012 06:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sounds pretty standard for a first session, all the formal stuff out of the way. I don't imagine he'd have your parents there everytime, that would make it difficult to get you to open up. So, you survived so far? Smile

Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

Yes. Your answer screens you are not an unempathetic psychopath or sexually aggressive with abusive patterns. It's not a personal question, I was asked on my first sessions if I was a heavy drinker, sexually promiscuous, have I cheated, do I self harm, etc. it's not that I was suspected of this, rather I was screened. Same with other questions in the future. It's a process of ruling out, much like a physical doctor does with taking blood tests, urine tests etc. It doesn't mean you have it, just making sure you don't.
30-10-2012, 07:00 PM
(30-10-2012 06:58 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

Yes. Your answer screens you are not an unempathetic psychopath or sexually aggressive with abusive patterns. It's not a personal question, I was asked on my first sessions if I was a heavy drinker, sexually promiscuous, have I cheated, do I self harm, etc. it's not that I was suspected of this, rather I was screened. Same with other questions in the future. It's a process of ruling out, much like a physical doctor does with taking blood tests, urine tests etc. It doesn't mean you have it, just making sure you don't.
That's what I thought, but it was just awkward sitting there in front of my parents answering these questions.

30-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.
Absolutely. The department of health makes all assessments find out if a prospective patient has been a perpetrator or "victim" of any kind of abuse. Simply put, they have very little time to get a broad based picture of who you are and what makes you tick. I'm a therapist, not an MD though.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
30-10-2012, 07:51 PM

It's standard to ask if you've raped anyone? That doesn't sound very standard. No

Edit: oh, are talking about taking the MMPI? I guess there are plenty of random awkward questions on that.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I agree with Stark, Bucky and LJ. You really can make the most of the experience but you need to have an open mind, no point going in all defensive and dismissive.

One thing I would recommend though is that the first thing you ask him in private is what he can legally pass onto your parents (or find out before you next go), in England we have doctor-patient confidentiality but it doesn't kick in til you're 16 (or didn't last I knew). I don't know how things work in America.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
30-10-2012, 09:08 PM
(30-10-2012 02:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ....or possibly some time better spent than you can imagine.

Give it a chance little brother.

For what, exactly?

TRy and humour them.Rolleyes
30-10-2012, 11:19 PM
(30-10-2012 02:32 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  For what, exactly?

For peace and quiet.
Play them like fiddles. A2, you're no dummy.
Make a game of it.
Tell them you converted, and you want to become a priest. Laughat
At least they'll leave you alone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin