Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 11:31 PM
RE: Going to my first appointment with the pyschiatrist.
(30-10-2012 06:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sounds pretty standard for a first session, all the formal stuff out of the way. I don't imagine he'd have your parents there everytime, that would make it difficult to get you to open up. So, you survived so far? Smile

Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

Eish. Psychologists... I'm always confused by this. It's like on visa application forms where they have a question "are you a terrorist?" um... If I *was* a terrorist, would I be writing 'Yes' in there ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-10-2012, 04:35 AM
(30-10-2012 07:00 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:58 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Yes. Your answer screens you are not an unempathetic psychopath or sexually aggressive with abusive patterns. It's not a personal question, I was asked on my first sessions if I was a heavy drinker, sexually promiscuous, have I cheated, do I self harm, etc. it's not that I was suspected of this, rather I was screened. Same with other questions in the future. It's a process of ruling out, much like a physical doctor does with taking blood tests, urine tests etc. It doesn't mean you have it, just making sure you don't.
That's what I thought, but it was just awkward sitting there in front of my parents answering these questions.

wait wait wait wait, back the crazy train up a bit here for a moment.

He asked you those questions in front of your parents???

Coming from a former 15 year old boy (not the boy part, the 15 part...) I can honestly hand on heart say I would never admit to ANY of those questions in front of my parents. Actually he might even ask them again when it's just you two.
Why the fuck were your parents even in the room??? That defeats the entire purpose of seeing a shrink. Yuck, that would be super creepy.

As for the autism, it's really not the end of the world. It'll be mild form of it if it's anything. Unless you stack things obsessively like ALLLL the time, then it may be a little more severe.
Either way autism is just a different way of thinking often resulting in a lack of social skills in favor of other things.

Also if the guy gives you medication I'd be a little skeptical. Shrinks are way to keen these days to give minors things like anti-depressions or anti-psychotics which can be pretty harmful drugs. (actually, is this guy even one of those shrinks that can give out drugs? I know some do some don't I'm not up-to-date on those that can and those that can't). But if he can and he does it wouldn't be silly to do a bit of research on it, just because it's prescription doesn't make it safe.

But I'm sure it wont come to that. Big Grin

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-10-2012, 06:41 AM
So is this an actual psychiatrist or a psychologist or some other flavor of therapist/counselor? There is a difference in what each does and how. Your parents were in the room, is this a family counseling setting or is it supposed to be individual?

It's hard for me to imagine that you would be brought to a Doctor of Psychiatry as though non-belief is a condition that can be (or needs to be) treated in a medical manner.

What is the goal here? Are your parents just looking for ways to MAKE you believe or is there something else they are worried about?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-10-2012, 07:39 AM
(30-10-2012 03:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I am only mad that they would waste money on something as stupid as this.

It is not a waste of money for them. They are paying for their own peace of mind.

I am assuming that you have tried to explain your views, yes? And they don't "get" it.

I assume this because I have seen how eloquent and articulate you can be.

So actually, it is they who are confused, not you.

I would be tempted to learn what I can about the therapist's technique and start applying it to your parents... subtly asking them the same questions that you are being asked.

I would be treating it as a learning opportunity.

I had the same experience (although I think I was around 18 years old).

Had it been better understood back then, I probably would have been diagnosed as being somewhere on the Autistic Spectrum... or at least an extreme introvert.

I recall being asked about my "life position" with this diagram:

I'm ok / ..........¦............I'm ok /
You're ok.........¦........You're not ok
......................¦
----------------------¦---------------------------
......................¦
I'm not ok /......¦.........I'm not ok /
You're ok.........¦......You're not ok

I reckon you could correctly place a few TTA members correctly on this diagram.

Incidentally, I went for a fifth option which the shrink hadn't thought of; it made her laugh. Then she told my parents not to worry about me.

31-10-2012, 09:59 AM
(30-10-2012 11:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

Eish. Psychologists... I'm always confused by this. It's like on visa application forms where they have a question "are you a terrorist?" um... If I *was* a terrorist, would I be writing 'Yes' in there ?

Yeah, it doesn't rule out pathological lier, or any lying at all, lol.

(31-10-2012 07:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I reckon you could correctly place a few TTA members correctly on this diagram.

Ha ha. Maybe a lot of us are not okay with a bunch of others that aren't okay? Fun times!
31-10-2012, 10:15 AM
(31-10-2012 07:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 03:03 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I am only mad that they would waste money on something as stupid as this.

It is not a waste of money for them. They are paying for their own peace of mind.

I am assuming that you have tried to explain your views, yes? And they don't "get" it.

I assume this because I have seen how eloquent and articulate you can be.

So actually, it is they who are confused, not you.

I would be tempted to learn what I can about the therapist's technique and start applying it to your parents... subtly asking them the same questions that you are being asked.

I would be treating it as a learning opportunity.

I had the same experience (although I think I was around 18 years old).

Had it been better understood back then, I probably would have been diagnosed as being somewhere on the Autistic Spectrum... or at least an extreme introvert.

I recall being asked about my "life position" with this diagram:

I'm ok / ..........¦............I'm ok /
You're ok.........¦........You're not ok
......................¦
----------------------¦---------------------------
......................¦
I'm not ok /......¦.........I'm not ok /
You're ok.........¦......You're not ok

I reckon you could correctly place a few TTA members correctly on this diagram.

Incidentally, I went for a fifth option which the shrink hadn't thought of; it made her laugh. Then she told my parents not to worry about me.

When I was in psych, briefly, I crossed them all out.
I wrote in ; "I'm OK, you're not so hot".
They came in and said, "OK, funny guy, time to go home". Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-10-2012, 06:05 PM
At least you can score some Adderall and Ritalin from a psychiatrist. Far more useful than what you could score with a priest.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-11-2012, 03:08 AM
(30-10-2012 06:49 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sounds pretty standard for a first session, all the formal stuff out of the way. I don't imagine he'd have your parents there everytime, that would make it difficult to get you to open up. So, you survived so far? Smile

Are you sure the rape question was standard procedure?

I have been to a few shrinks in my lifetime and those questions (especially about rape) never came up. Then again, I don't think they knew I was an atheist back then either.
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Why he hell are you going to a physiatrist??
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
(01-11-2012 11:24 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Why he hell are you going to a physiatrist??

My atheism.

Well, I have another appointment soon.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.