Going to university

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Going to university
Just spent the first two weeks at my university and it seems pretty awesome.

It's a private Catholic university called Our Lady seat of Wisdom up near Ontario's Algonquin park. the school only has about 70 students. The town where the school is, is the largest town in the area at 1000.

the courses are the coolest part though. The university is old school. I'm learning Christian Doctrine (catechism), Logic, philosophy, Latin, essay writing, western civilization and chorus. the degree is christian humanities.

The two weirdest things are that everyone is extremely pro-life. And they advertise it. This is not so much a problem as just weird as i grew up in Toronto which is fairly secular so I rarely talk about my pro life stance.

The other weird thing is when they had was a swing dance night where about 40 of the 70 students danced to swing music doing all the dance moves. Me growing up in Toronto had never experienced that. And these people were from all over Canada and the US (one even from Australia).

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2012, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2012 12:37 PM by Chas.)
RE: Going to university
(15-09-2012 10:33 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Just spent the first two weeks at my university and it seems pretty awesome.

It's a private Catholic university called Our Lady seat of Wisdom up near Ontario's Algonquin park. the school only has about 70 students. The town where the school is, is the largest town in the area at 1000.

the courses are the coolest part though. The university is old school. I'm learning Christian Doctrine (catechism), Logic, philosophy, Latin, essay writing, western civilization and chorus. the degree is christian humanities.

The two weirdest things are that everyone is extremely pro-life. And they advertise it. This is not so much a problem as just weird as i grew up in Toronto which is fairly secular so I rarely talk about my pro life stance.

The other weird thing is when they had was a swing dance night where about 40 of the 70 students danced to swing music doing all the dance moves. Me growing up in Toronto had never experienced that. And these people were from all over Canada and the US (one even from Australia).

Why are you going there?

Edit:
Checked their web site. Only other religious institutions accept their courses for credit. That should be a red flag.

Also, "University": I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-09-2012, 12:12 PM
(15-09-2012 11:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why are you going there?
As far as I know, he's a theist.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Interesting curriculum. I study Latin, though I focus on the Roman authors and secular authors primarily. This semester I'm reading Vibius Sequester, all 4 In Catallinam speeches by Cicero, the entirity of Sallust's Bellum Catalinae, and parts of the Aeneid.

You will love Latin!

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα