Going too far

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Going too far
An 83 devout Christian lady has begun calling me daily and talks about God and all the wonderful things he does. She calls every Sunday if they can pick me up for church. It has become invasive. I have always been polite because of her age but it has to change and I'm at a loss as to how to do it. I have begun to suspect "harderning of the arteries" as my parents would say, over the past year. She can no longer carry on a conversation without continual biblical reference. I don't wish to snap at her but anger roils within now whenever I hear her voice. Help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 08:07 AM
RE: Going too far
(20-10-2013 07:55 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  An 83 devout Christian lady has begun calling me daily and talks about God and all the wonderful things he does. She calls every Sunday if they can pick me up for church. It has become invasive. I have always been polite because of her age but it has to change and I'm at a loss as to how to do it. I have begun to suspect "harderning of the arteries" as my parents would say, over the past year. She can no longer carry on a conversation without continual biblical reference. I don't wish to snap at her but anger roils within now whenever I hear her voice. Help!

Do you have caller ID so that you can screen your calls? That way
you don't have to pick up when she calls.

Maybe she wants to save your soul. Perhaps you can tell her that you already
found God and that God is wonderful and that you are already going to your
own church every Sunday morning. Perhaps she will leave you alone then
because you are already saved. On the other hand, I can also see that this
could backfire.
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
20-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Wee rescuers like to make sure they one they saved is truly okay so I think the second suggestion will backfire. Caller ID! Saves plenty of people - a savior you can trust in. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
20-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't believe it, they pulled into my yard to take me to church. No one came to the door. I heard a thump, so had a look. As I waited inside, her hubby would open and close the car door. I guess that was the signal they were waiting for me. I did go outside and declined the ride. I don't think they realize how rude and obnoxious they have become, but it has to stop. If I told her I was saved they'd be arranging bible meeting at my house.
20-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Does she know your beliefs?
Perhaps telling her something along the lines of "I've already found my path, and prefer to hold fellowship alone" could at least get her to stop the invitations. If you decide to tell her you're an atheist, do so gently. Thank her for her concern and let her know that you will consider her invitation if God ever speaks to you.

Or, you could make up some really traumatic story about a former church you attended. You could say you were molested by a priest and God didn't give you any advice when you prayed on the situation. So you need to think long and hard about the situation and your relationship with God but if you could pray for me, that would be much appreciated....

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
20-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Have a talk, tell her your views and you consider all this incisive calling and badgering is a form of harassment. Well use the words you want, just get the point across. I'm still having trouble with jehovah's witnesses, thats altogether another problem.Tongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
20-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Sometimes you just need to lay it all out there and and put your foot down. Be as polite and respectful as possible but stay firm. As long as you do that, if she is offended - that's her problem, not yours. She is causing you grief because you are unwilling to confront the issue - that's your problem.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
20-10-2013, 11:58 AM
You don't have to go all out and get into details. Just tell her you appreciate her friendship a lot, but you really don't want to join her church and you hope she won't take it the wrong way. Then find an excuse to end the conversation asap and use call screening.

Let her get through maybe once a week so she doesn't have the excuse to come looking for you because she is worried.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Guess who stopped by after church. I went out to their vehicle and didn't invite them in. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really do need to think this problem out, to handle it with diplomacy yet get my message across.
20-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Good luck.
Just one thing to throw into the mix here - if this lady does have 'hardening of the arteries' which sounds like a possibility, you may need to tell her several times so could I advise that you keep it simple in case you have to keep repeating it?
I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, you or her.
No really, I do feel for you; it's not going to be an easy one but perhaps honesty really is the best policy. You sound like a kind, respectful person so I am sure you will find a way to break it to her gently but firmly!