Good Christian Love

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Good Christian Love
I sincerely hope that kid uses that video as evidence to get them for assault. That was just... horrid.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
28-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Quote:Yup - with respect to this situation it's reasonable to do so. A pre-rational thinker receives their morality from an external authority, whereas a rational thinker ethically discerns (works it out themselves).

So - when asked why they think it's "morally wrong", a rational thinker will explain cause and effect that leads back to a consequence of someone suffering, whereas a pre-rational thinker will simply say - it's wrong because the bible says so (which is exactly what the mother said).

How do you know that that is her entire rationale - "It's wrong because the bible says so" may be her entire argument in that emotional moment. She may have ethically discerned it using biblical ethics...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
28-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I just saw this in my Facebook feed from American Humanists.

There is a Go Fund Me to help him.

http://www.gofundme.com/dnoqgg

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 01:31 PM
(28-08-2014 01:18 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just saw this in my Facebook feed from American Humanists.

There is a Go Fund Me to help him.

http://www.gofundme.com/dnoqgg

There's one in every crowd:
"While those words are horrible - A. You're 20 years old and shouldn't be living with your parents anyhow. B. The site was set up for you but you're so surprised that the site was there?!?! I smell a big fat scam. Shame on you."

Fortunately, most of the comments are quite supportive and pleasant.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
28-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Yeah - I still have a suspicion it's a scam from the moment I saw that this vid is the only upload on the youtube profile which has no other information on it...

Nonetheless the point has to be made that there are instances where this does happen and so anything that makes people sit up and think about their reactions can only be a good thing.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
28-08-2014, 01:50 PM
(28-08-2014 11:14 AM)phil.a Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 11:06 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I do not feel sorry for someone who has a religious belief that enables their bigotry.

As a gay man, I have some idea of what it puts our mothers through when we come out, especially if those mothers have more traditional beliefs - basically they find themselves in a very disturbing "caught between a rock and a hard place".

When it ends up as it did in the above video, it's just horrific. For everyone, there aren't any winners, everyone is left in terrible pain.

Phil

This is so true Phil. My son came to me when he was 18 and told me he was transgender. My world went spinning for quite a while and even though I was brought up in an atheist family and considered myself to be open minded I still had a difficult time with it. But what trumps my own feelings is the happiness of my kids. I just want them to be happy. How can a parent sit and watch their children be miserable and in constant emotional pain and then add to it by rejecting them? It's just not worth it for a parent to hold onto a preconceived ideals of what their children should be whether they believe in god or even if they're an atheist.

I have a new daughter now and a she's a new person and she is light years happier.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-08-2014, 01:55 PM
(28-08-2014 01:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a new daughter now and a she's a new person and she is light years happier.

HeartHeartHeart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I still do not understand where religion trumps that of the relationship between a parent and child. I watched this video while at work, wasn't a good idea to do that, I wanted to cry. To be shunned by your family because of who you are saddens me yet the largest groups around for kids to have social exposure outside of schools are churches and church groups. Where do they go, who do they turn to. Even at 20 years old, you have yet to finish an education or establish a decent paying job or career. I would like to find a way to figure out how to get a group going focusing on youth and young adults that is non-religious that gives them a safe place to socialize, much like church youth groups or get togethers without the exposure to god and religion.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
28-08-2014, 02:06 PM
So I ran a search and found half a dozen replays of this. Apparently he's going to be ok, although the damage his stepmother did to his face isn't trivial.

I'm encouraged by the amount of support out there, not just from the non-religious, but from liberal Christians. I'm not an anti-theist, but I am an anti-dogmatist, and this type of crap just illustrates why perfectly.
28-08-2014, 02:10 PM
(28-08-2014 01:56 PM)Kemasyn Wrote:  I still do not understand where religion trumps that of the relationship between a parent and child. I watched this video while at work, wasn't a good idea to do that, I wanted to cry. To be shunned by your family because of who you are saddens me yet the largest groups around for kids to have social exposure outside of schools are churches and church groups. Where do they go, who do they turn to. Even at 20 years old, you have yet to finish an education or establish a decent paying job or career. I would like to find a way to figure out how to get a group going focusing on youth and young adults that is non-religious that gives them a safe place to socialize, much like church youth groups or get togethers without the exposure to god and religion.

Unfortunately religion trumps reason but is exceptionally good at rejection.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post