Good God? I don't fucking think so.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: Good God? I don't fucking think so.
(17-09-2014 10:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:23 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do you have a secret hatred for Canada?

No, I actually love Canada. I just think those that Tim Hortons and the Canadian fruit fly are two of the three worst things about Canada.

The third thing being Canada's little United States, Toronto.

Maybe you're too young to remember, but Tim Horton's used to be a good thing. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 11:26 AM
(17-09-2014 10:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Since it sounds like you're writing about the Christian God, and the Christian God seems to command/urge/exhort Christians to do good (I can provide verses if you like) doesn't that mean God is doing good?

And we can almost assuredly out-quote you with the bad. So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Quote:If you tell your children, "Don't drink and drive!" who are the Q to accuse you of contributing to DUIs rather than combatting them?

That makes absolutely no sense.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-09-2014, 11:28 AM
(17-09-2014 11:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 10:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Since it sounds like you're writing about the Christian God, and the Christian God seems to command/urge/exhort Christians to do good (I can provide verses if you like) doesn't that mean God is doing good?

What if he also tells them to do bad?

Not to mention doing bad himself: genocide (the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah), deliberately "hardening Pharoah's heart" to give himself an excuse to afflict the entire Egyptian people with plague after plague, condemning people to infinite punishment (Hell) for finite crimes (and even for the non-crime of failing to believe in him), etc.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-09-2014, 01:28 PM
(17-09-2014 11:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

What if he also tells them to do bad?

Numbers 31:1-18

31 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people.”

3 So Moses said to the people, “Arm some of your men to go to war against the Midianites so that they may carry out the Lord’s vengeance on them. 4 Send into battle a thousand men from each of the tribes of Israel.” 5 So twelve thousand men armed for battle, a thousand from each tribe, were supplied from the clans of Israel. 6 Moses sent them into battle, a thousand from each tribe, along with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, who took with him articles from the sanctuary and the trumpets for signaling.

7 They fought against Midian, as the Lord commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho.

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. 16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

(emphasis mine)

I take it from your post that you agree with my earlier assertion, that God does something, not nothing in this area? I take it also that you think God is doing both good and bad actions and that you base your understanding of what is "good" and what is "bad" based on...?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-09-2014, 02:17 PM
(17-09-2014 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 11:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What if he also tells them to do bad?

Numbers 31:1-18

31 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people.”

3 So Moses said to the people, “Arm some of your men to go to war against the Midianites so that they may carry out the Lord’s vengeance on them. 4 Send into battle a thousand men from each of the tribes of Israel.” 5 So twelve thousand men armed for battle, a thousand from each tribe, were supplied from the clans of Israel. 6 Moses sent them into battle, a thousand from each tribe, along with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, who took with him articles from the sanctuary and the trumpets for signaling.

7 They fought against Midian, as the Lord commanded Moses, and killed every man. 8 Among their victims were Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba—the five kings of Midian. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. 9 The Israelites captured the Midianite women and children and took all the Midianite herds, flocks and goods as plunder. 10 They burned all the towns where the Midianites had settled, as well as all their camps. 11 They took all the plunder and spoils, including the people and animals, 12 and brought the captives, spoils and plunder to Moses and Eleazar the priest and the Israelite assembly at their camp on the plains of Moab, by the Jordan across from Jericho.

13 Moses, Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army—the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds—who returned from the battle.

15 “Have you allowed all the women to live?” he asked them. 16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people. 17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

(emphasis mine)

I take it from your post that you agree with my earlier assertion, that God does something, not nothing in this area? I take it also that you think God is doing both good and bad actions and that you base your understanding of what is "good" and what is "bad" based on...?

No one is agreeing that an actual god is actually doing anything.

We are doing literary criticism.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-09-2014, 02:26 PM
(17-09-2014 06:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:26 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  [Image: 8388116954_9d21af96b5_m.jpg]

That's a sheep, not a goat.

Just sayin'

*braces for sheep shagging jokes by DL and Rev*

Yeah, well blame google for that, I searched sexy goats and that came up.

(17-09-2014 10:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:23 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do you have a secret hatred for Canada?

No, I actually love Canada. I just think those that Tim Hortons and the Canadian fruit fly are two of the three worst things about Canada.

The third thing being Canada's little United States, Toronto.

Tim Hortons have great beverages IMO though I'm usually too poor to afford them.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-09-2014, 03:09 PM
If anyone has any perspectives to share on the subject, please feel free to add onto or argue any of the points I brought up.

(OP updated).

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
17-09-2014, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2014 08:34 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
I dunno, how can something that doesn't exist be judged for wrong-doing?

Isn't the real problem with the original writers who made up a story and the people who blindly follow it?

The real issue is the people who lie saying the nonexistent being spoke to them and made them special.

If someone came up with a joesph smith story today? Would they be believed?

Edited for leaving out a word...Multitasking doesn't work.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-09-2014, 08:20 PM
(17-09-2014 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno, how can something that doesn't exist be judged for wrong-doing?

Isn't the real problem with the original writers who made up a story and the people who blindly follow it?

The real issue is the people who lie saying the nonexistent being spoke to them and made them special.

If someone came up with a joesph smith story today? Would they believed.

Weeping

[Image: xxxxx+l+ron.png]

Weeping

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
17-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Ke$ha
[Image: kesha_510x380.jpg]

Points for being hot. Whoever she is...

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.