Good God? I don't fucking think so.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: Good God? I don't fucking think so.
(17-09-2014 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I take it from your post that you agree with my earlier assertion, that God does something, not nothing in this area? I take it also that you think God is doing both good and bad actions and that you base your understanding of what is "good" and what is "bad" based on...?

I take it from your post that you shift the goalposts like a motherfucker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 09:19 AM
(18-09-2014 06:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I take it from your post that you agree with my earlier assertion, that God does something, not nothing in this area? I take it also that you think God is doing both good and bad actions and that you base your understanding of what is "good" and what is "bad" based on...?

I take it from your post that you shift the goalposts like a motherfucker.

I can certainly come back to topic, which one would you like to discuss?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Do you honestly not know what "good" and "bad" are based on? Consider
(Hint: The answer isn't "god" - whichever god that would be anyway...)

And, while we're on the subject, do you believe in a god?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
18-09-2014, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2014 02:49 PM by Atothetheist.)
(17-09-2014 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno, how can something that doesn't exist be judged for wrong-doing?

Isn't the real problem with the original writers who made up a story and the people who blindly follow it?

The real issue is the people who lie saying the nonexistent being spoke to them and made them special.

If someone came up with a joesph smith story today? Would they be believed?

Edited for leaving out a word...Multitasking doesn't work.
Can you not judge a book character by the traits attributed to him in the work? I also judge the concept of a God.

I think there are good and bad ideas. God is a bad one.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
18-09-2014, 03:08 PM
(18-09-2014 02:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno, how can something that doesn't exist be judged for wrong-doing?

Isn't the real problem with the original writers who made up a story and the people who blindly follow it?

The real issue is the people who lie saying the nonexistent being spoke to them and made them special.

If someone came up with a joesph smith story today? Would they be believed?

Edited for leaving out a word...Multitasking doesn't work.
Can you not judge a book character by the traits attributed to him in the work? I also judge the concept of a God.

Aren't you both doing what robbypants said I did, and shifting the goalposts?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
18-09-2014, 03:30 PM
(18-09-2014 03:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 02:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Can you not judge a book character by the traits attributed to him in the work? I also judge the concept of a God.

Aren't you both doing what robbypants said I did, and shifting the goalposts?

How?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
18-09-2014, 03:39 PM
(18-09-2014 03:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Aren't you both doing what robbypants said I did, and shifting the goalposts?

How?

I can sort of see his point. The thread is about whether God is good or bad, and while most people are making arguments for or against God's goodness (assuming for the purpose of argument that he exists), they are claiming that it doesn't matter because he doesn't exist. That does constitute shifting the goalposts, I think.

Whether the Bible is history or fiction, we can still critique whether the character of God as portrayed in the Bible is good or evil. I say evil (and I also say fiction, but that is irrelevant to the main argument).
18-09-2014, 03:45 PM
(18-09-2014 03:39 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  How?

I can sort of see his point. The thread is about whether God is good or bad, and while most people are making arguments for or against God's goodness (assuming for the purpose of argument that he exists), they are claiming that it doesn't matter because he doesn't exist. That does constitute shifting the goalposts, I think.

Whether the Bible is history or fiction, we can still critique whether the character of God as portrayed in the Bible is good or evil. I say evil (and I also say fiction, but that is irrelevant to the main argument).

I don't think any atheist here argues from the assumption for the sake of argument that God exists. No

I think we argue from the stance that the god described in the Bible is a right bastard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-09-2014, 03:57 PM
(18-09-2014 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think any atheist here argues from the assumption for the sake of argument that God exists. No

I think we argue from the stance that the god described in the Bible is a right bastard.

Fair enough. Your final statement expresses my feelings pretty accurately.
19-09-2014, 10:10 AM
(18-09-2014 03:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think any atheist here argues from the assumption for the sake of argument that God exists. No

Fair enough. Your final statement expresses my feelings pretty accurately.

Is that a balanced viewpoint? Is there no accounting for loving one's neighbor? Praying for one's enemies? The non-violent resistance used by Dr. King et al? Would it not be more fair for atheists to say, "There must be some issues with the book since there are violent genocides mixed in with loving acts"? Aren't there episodes of kindness, forgiveness and gifts given in both testaments? Isn't that how higher criticism kicked in during recent centuries, trying to find a balanced Bible view?