Good God? I don't fucking think so.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 10:54 AM
RE: Good God? I don't fucking think so.
(19-09-2014 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that a balanced viewpoint? Is there no accounting for loving one's neighbor? Praying for one's enemies? The non-violent resistance used by Dr. King et al? Would it not be more fair for atheists to say, "There must be some issues with the book since there are violent genocides mixed in with loving acts"? Aren't there episodes of kindness, forgiveness and gifts given in both testaments? Isn't that how higher criticism kicked in during recent centuries, trying to find a balanced Bible view?

The flooding of the entire planet, the eternal damnation of all non-believers, the killing of firstborn, plagues, the cursing of all humanity because of a snack-attack in the garden of eden, the creation of the devil...

"Some issues?" LOL.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
19-09-2014, 12:12 PM
(19-09-2014 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Fair enough. Your final statement expresses my feelings pretty accurately.

Is that a balanced viewpoint? Is there no accounting for loving one's neighbor? Praying for one's enemies? The non-violent resistance used by Dr. King et al? Would it not be more fair for atheists to say, "There must be some issues with the book since there are violent genocides mixed in with loving acts"? Aren't there episodes of kindness, forgiveness and gifts given in both testaments? Isn't that how higher criticism kicked in during recent centuries, trying to find a balanced Bible view?

Same is true for the gospel of Harry Potter, except its morality is better and more clearly depicted.

You are so desperate to find a good interpretation of a book of ancient myth. Why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2014, 12:30 PM
(18-09-2014 02:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 08:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno, how can something that doesn't exist be judged for wrong-doing?

Isn't the real problem with the original writers who made up a story and the people who blindly follow it?

The real issue is the people who lie saying the nonexistent being spoke to them and made them special.

If someone came up with a joesph smith story today? Would they be believed?

Edited for leaving out a word...Multitasking doesn't work.
Can you not judge a book character by the traits attributed to him in the work? I also judge the concept of a God.

I think there are good and bad ideas. God is a bad one.

I dunno...I don't take characters in books very seriously. The writer decides the attributes each character has. So, if an author writes a book and I dislike the characters or development of them, I'm likely to not read much else by them.

I don't disagree as a fictional character, god is a poorly written one...

But I can't hate him (the character) because of that. I can get annoyed with people who think he's the best character ever tho.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-09-2014, 12:36 PM
(19-09-2014 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 03:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Fair enough. Your final statement expresses my feelings pretty accurately.

Is that a balanced viewpoint? Is there no accounting for loving one's neighbor? Praying for one's enemies? The non-violent resistance used by Dr. King et al? Would it not be more fair for atheists to say, "There must be some issues with the book since there are violent genocides mixed in with loving acts"? Aren't there episodes of kindness, forgiveness and gifts given in both testaments? Isn't that how higher criticism kicked in during recent centuries, trying to find a balanced Bible view?
If a full-time thief also gives his child presents, should we "account for" the giving of presents (bought with stolen money too no doubt) or should we just recognize that this is not a good person? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-09-2014, 06:49 AM
(19-09-2014 12:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that a balanced viewpoint? Is there no accounting for loving one's neighbor? Praying for one's enemies? The non-violent resistance used by Dr. King et al? Would it not be more fair for atheists to say, "There must be some issues with the book since there are violent genocides mixed in with loving acts"? Aren't there episodes of kindness, forgiveness and gifts given in both testaments? Isn't that how higher criticism kicked in during recent centuries, trying to find a balanced Bible view?
If a full-time thief also gives his child presents, should we "account for" the giving of presents (bought with stolen money too no doubt) or should we just recognize that this is not a good person? Consider

Should I be relieved, or concerned, then, if you judge my criminal case and sentence me? Would you visit a prison, attempting to rehabilitate a thief, and tell them he is a bad person? On what basis did you decide to condemn your fellow man and brother on this earth? Does your judgment obey or violate "love thy neighbor as thyself"?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
20-09-2014, 01:18 PM
(20-09-2014 06:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 12:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If a full-time thief also gives his child presents, should we "account for" the giving of presents (bought with stolen money too no doubt) or should we just recognize that this is not a good person? Consider

Should I be relieved, or concerned, then, if you judge my criminal case and sentence me? Would you visit a prison, attempting to rehabilitate a thief, and tell them he is a bad person? On what basis did you decide to condemn your fellow man and brother on this earth? Does your judgment obey or violate "love thy neighbor as thyself"?

I'd want myself to be punished if I commit a crime, it's only fair.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-09-2014, 02:23 PM
(20-09-2014 06:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 12:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If a full-time thief also gives his child presents, should we "account for" the giving of presents (bought with stolen money too no doubt) or should we just recognize that this is not a good person? Consider

I didn't ask an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink question. And you didn't answer what I did ask. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-09-2014, 08:09 AM
(20-09-2014 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 06:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Should I be relieved, or concerned, then, if you judge my criminal case and sentence me? Would you visit a prison, attempting to rehabilitate a thief, and tell them he is a bad person? On what basis did you decide to condemn your fellow man and brother on this earth? Does your judgment obey or violate "love thy neighbor as thyself"?
I didn't ask an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink question. And you didn't answer what I did ask. Drinking Beverage

I didn't answer you? You think a moral person who steals once is a "bad person"? Should we recycle them? And, if another atheist disagrees with you, then doesn't that demonstrate atheists cherry-pick rather than adhering to absolute moral standards? And, will you get upset when you hear what my question is about absolute moral standards and evolution?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
21-09-2014, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 10:47 AM by Atothetheist.)
(21-09-2014 08:09 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I didn't ask an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink question. And you didn't answer what I did ask. Drinking Beverage

I didn't answer you? You think a moral person who steals once is a "bad person"? Should we recycle them? And, if another atheist disagrees with you, then doesn't that demonstrate atheists cherry-pick rather than adhering to absolute moral standards? And, will you get upset when you hear what my question is about absolute moral standards and evolution?

Absolute Moral Standards sound like an unnecessary qualification. Absolute is a real difficult thing to prove. Oh, and the above question I bolded was a strawman, or you mistakenly misrepresented his view on the thief. He didn't say he stole for moral reasons, he said he used the stolen money to buy his kids presents. That action does not cancel out that he took money from others without their express informed permission (or had any legal right to).

Just because a person steals only once does not exempt him from the punishment he is due. Drinking Beverage It just means it was his first time stealing.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
21-09-2014, 10:20 AM
(21-09-2014 08:09 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I didn't ask an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink question. And you didn't answer what I did ask. Drinking Beverage

Once more, atheists cherry-picking from what? You are unclear on the concept.

Ask all the questions you want on absolute moral standards, but you have yet to demonstrate that they even exist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]