Good News for Aussies... Or Bad News for Victims?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2016, 04:00 AM
Exclamation Good News for Aussies... Or Bad News for Victims?
Today downunder, this notorious paedophile departed the mortal coil and headed for his imaginary hell...

Bishop Ronald Austin Mulkearns (DOB 11 November 1930) was the bishop emeritus of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ballarat, located in rural Ballarat, Australia, a diocese in the ecclesiastical province of Melbourne. He resigned as bishop on 30 May 1997.

In February this year, Mulkearns apologised(?) during videolink testimony to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, for failing to halt what he simply called a "problem with priests" – the widespread and long-lasting sexual abuse of children in Ballarat's Catholic schools during his term as Bishop, including the notorious case of convicted child abuser Gerald Ridsdale. Mulkearns developed colorectal cancer toward the end of his life, and died today, 3 April 2016. As Bishop, Mulkearns was first told of Ridsdale's offending in 1975, but moved him to numerous parishes until Risdale was charged and later convicted of multiple child sex offences eighteen years later.

Ronald Mulkearns Takes his Secrets – and His Guilt – to the Grave.

On [Mulkearns] final day, then, we should perhaps pause to consider his apology, offered only weeks ago. It is incomplete but is not nothing: "I'd like to say, if I may, that I'm terribly sorry that I didn't do things differently in that time, but I didn't really know what to do or how to do it," he said. "I certainly regret that I didn't do it differently with... paedophilia. We had no idea, or I had no idea."

The digital universe, of course, offered no forgiveness, and predicted the furnace of hell for a person only hours dead. "Pack light", typed one commenter, "it's hot where you're going." Others were more concise in their reaction, stating simply: "Good."

But this news is not good, for us or for him, because the truth can only emerge from the lips of those who know it, and absolution can be granted to only those who ask for it. The passing of Mulkearns is an opportunity missed. The man now takes his secrets – and his guilt – to the grave.

Will this make it unlikely that his numerous victims, as adults, will now achieve some sort of closure—considering that this bloke effectively escaped any sort of genuine punishment, either ethical or moral?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply