Poll: What do you think Christianity is primarily about?
This poll is closed.
Good News: Jesus Christ and Him crucified for our sins and raised for our justification 62.50% 5 62.50%
Good Advice: practical & moral guidance in order to live a good life here & now 37.50% 3 37.50%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Good News vs. Good Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2012, 12:41 PM
RE: Good News vs. Good Advice
(27-04-2012 12:19 PM)THEOtalk Wrote:  No actually that's not what I am asking. I am asking what is your understanding of Christianity: do you view in terms of morality or theology? Do you think it's centered around rules, regulations, laws and adherence to those stipulations or do you think its centered around what God has done in history in the person of Jesus Christ?

Then why didn't you just ask that?

Anyway, Christianity isn't centered around morality because morality isn't exclusive to Christianity. It's not centered around theology because you don't have to understand theology to be a Christian.

In terms of Christianity today - no to morality for the same aforementioned reason and no to theology because the majority of Christians don't know theology.

I think Christianity is centered around God's covenant with us.

However, Christianity today wrongfully focuses on Christ (like you said).

While Christ is an important part of God's covenant it is not its entirety and shouldn't be made the sole focus.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 12:41 PM
(27-04-2012 12:27 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I don't think your poll has enough options. As they basically are "do you believe that Jesus is your savior", and "do you think Christianity is a good thing".

For the poll to be fair and reflect our opinion of Christianity you at least need the opposite of both of the current options.
I don't think he's looking for our opinion of Christianity- he's looking for input on what we perceive the church's message about Christianity to be. What is our experience that the church says Christianity is about.

He probably has the opinion that we think Christianity is all about being a good person.

I know that's not what the outward face of most protestant Christian flavors think that they display. Most protestant churches think that they are showing people that Christianity is all about Christ died for our sins- that being a central message. And it is a central message in many churches... but it's never ever the only message. And ultimately it's an irrelevant message in the face of the question of whether there is a god, and if that god is the god of the Bible, and which Bible, and which interpretation, etc.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
27-04-2012, 01:03 PM
(27-04-2012 12:41 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 12:27 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I don't think your poll has enough options. As they basically are "do you believe that Jesus is your savior", and "do you think Christianity is a good thing".

For the poll to be fair and reflect our opinion of Christianity you at least need the opposite of both of the current options.
I don't think he's looking for our opinion of Christianity- he's looking for input on what we perceive the church's message about Christianity to be. What is our experience that the church says Christianity is about.

He probably has the opinion that we think Christianity is all about being a good person.

I know that's not what the outward face of most protestant Christian flavors think that they display. Most protestant churches think that they are showing people that Christianity is all about Christ died for our sins- that being a central message. And it is a central message in many churches... but it's never ever the only message. And ultimately it's an irrelevant message in the face of the question of whether there is a god, and if that god is the god of the Bible, and which Bible, and which interpretation, etc.
Well if you're accurate, Kineo, then the only answer anyone should give about Christianity is number 1. There may be lots of people who label themselves Christian without an understanding of the Gospel, but True Believers assert that the Bible is not about suggestions but about being perfected through a relationship with the living Christ.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-04-2012, 01:07 PM
(27-04-2012 12:10 PM)THEOtalk Wrote:  No I am asking what view you hold of Christianity. I cited the example of American teenagers as what most who are attending churches believe. But I am curious what secularists think Christianity is and isn't.
Ok, then I choose the 3rd option.

Gullible brainwashed yuppies.
27-04-2012, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 01:23 PM by Vipa.)
From a european viewpoint i'd say it is good advice. Our priests and pastors are basically nice guys/girls with good intention and they deliver help on how to live life.
An interesting sermon is almost always about practical situations of life and how to master them underlayed with some nice words from the bible, some music and that's it.

While of course somehow in reality it is deemed good news, this aspect is thankfully almost historic. Sure it's somehow still "god's word" for the pastor but in non-evangelical churches (they don't have real churches over here anyways) it is solely metaphoric.

For me personally it is neither but I respect our worldly ministers for using religion as an "excuse" to give free real world advice
27-04-2012, 01:12 PM
either one is just silly, the the first because is a lousy moral guide and the second because is not new Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
27-04-2012, 01:19 PM
(27-04-2012 01:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 12:41 PM)kineo Wrote:  I don't think he's looking for our opinion of Christianity- he's looking for input on what we perceive the church's message about Christianity to be. What is our experience that the church says Christianity is about.

Well if you're accurate, Kineo, then the only answer anyone should give about Christianity is number 1. There may be lots of people who label themselves Christian without an understanding of the Gospel, but True Believers assert that the Bible is not about suggestions but about being perfected through a relationship with the living Christ.

Maybe the question just bugs me because it seems like that he's given us only two choices, and he wants us to report that Christianity is about #2 so that he can either A) tell us all about #1; or B) use us as an object lesson in a sermon about how the church is "doing it wrong".

I see the relationship part as being a follow-through of #1. That's the part that often fails people and everyone fails at. You work toward becoming what you perceive to be more perfected through Christ, which looks to everyone else like trying to be a better person. There's nothing wrong with self-improvement, but that's not what this is about.
27-04-2012, 01:26 PM
(27-04-2012 01:19 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 01:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well if you're accurate, Kineo, then the only answer anyone should give about Christianity is number 1. There may be lots of people who label themselves Christian without an understanding of the Gospel, but True Believers assert that the Bible is not about suggestions but about being perfected through a relationship with the living Christ.

Maybe the question just bugs me because it seems like that he's given us only two choices, and he wants us to report that Christianity is about #2 so that he can either A) tell us all about #1; or B) use us as an object lesson in a sermon about how the church is "doing it wrong".

I see the relationship part as being a follow-through of #1. That's the part that often fails people and everyone fails at. You work toward becoming what you perceive to be more perfected through Christ, which looks to everyone else like trying to be a better person. There's nothing wrong with self-improvement, but that's not what this is about.
Which is why even the Christian said he was wrong.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-04-2012, 01:29 PM
So what you're saying the OP is doing is...
[Image: tumblr_lt2rxw9rey1qmykrbo1_1280.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
27-04-2012, 01:36 PM
(27-04-2012 12:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Ah. I think todays Chrisitanity is viewed as a moral guide for living your life. Lots of non religious Christians think that if you life a good and honest life then you will go to heaven even if you don't follow the bible word for word. IMO this is just one step in the decline and ultimate end of Christianity.

So is it a rule book or story book? Intersting. I'm not quite sure.

Actually your statement "IMO this is just one step in the decline and ultimate end of Christianity" is nothing new, that's always been the outside criticism of Christianity and yet its larger today than at any point of history. Even the wake of the Enlightenment, Western Americans are more religious than ever, with 90+% believing in "God". But to answer your second question about "Is it a rule book or story book?" I would have to say that based on historic, creedal Christianity, the Bible IS a story book about the grand meganarrative that God has written culminating in the arrival of His Son on earth--who revealed what God is truly like--and then provided the way back to God through His death and resurrection for the sins of the world. Jesus said as much Himself:

"These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled...Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations..." - Jesus in Luke 24:44-47