Poll: What do you think Christianity is primarily about?
This poll is closed.
Good News: Jesus Christ and Him crucified for our sins and raised for our justification 62.50% 5 62.50%
Good Advice: practical & moral guidance in order to live a good life here & now 37.50% 3 37.50%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Good News vs. Good Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2012, 04:52 PM
RE: Good News vs. Good Advice
If words are going to be your path through the darkness... you'll want to choose them well. [Image: shy.gif]

Love this!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 06:27 PM by Mark Fulton.)
Hi Theotalk.

Poor you! Studying the bible, hoping to make a living out of promoting it (I assume). What a waste of a good brain.

I've been studying the bible, and the religious/political/cultural milieu from which it was derived for the last 6 years. Fortunately for me, and for those who have anything to do with me, I will never promote it as truthful or useful.

As to your question..." is Christianity good news or good advice" the answer is simple....neither. The other commentators so far have made excellent points (particularly Bucky Ball), I'll add my 2c worth in here. This is one of my main conclusions about what the bible (i.e. Christianity) really is...

The Real Purpose of
the Bible

Authorities in churches claim the Bible exists for people’s benefit. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The authors of the Bible had a similar agenda to people who currently work in advertising agencies, and their writings share many of the features of a typical modern advertising campaign. The Bible was written to profit certain groups; it contained little of true value, and its authors tried to appeal to the emotions and superstitions of the masses. They knew their market at the time was credulous and superstitious, easily impressed by mythical stories and frightened by threats.

The Christian Bible was not written by God, nor by bona-fide historians, nor by people discussing
the truth, or by people who genuinely cared about their readers. It was written by spin-doctors trying to sell their claim to authority. It aimed to facilitate control of the populace, and it was very good at doing that, which is why it has survived the passage of time. It is a product of the petty, miserable politics of power-hungry people.

Scripture is, in fact, either the bleating voice of the politically weak who aspire to become more powerful, or else the propaganda used by leaders to control the feeble. The common denominator is the consumer, the timid mass, the gullible crowd, the naive little people. Scripture is documented evidence of the art of crowd control through literature.

Scripture’s power lies in the fact that it requires very few resources to achieve its aims. Its use of
gods, miracles, prophets and threats of hell requires nothing more than a very active imagination to produce.

Anyone who agrees with me should have a very satisfying, powerful realization. The very heart of Christianity, the Bible, has no legitimate authority.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
27-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Welcome Seminary Student,

I'm not really interested in pursuing the nuances of your religion until you help me get past the fundamentals first. I've always been curious about this promise of a postmortem preservation of identity which presumably is the fundamental reason for even desiring to be "saved" in the first place. How's that work? I'm just looking for any plausible mechanism of action.

Thanks!

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-04-2012, 05:44 PM
___ Good News: Jesus Christ and Him crucified for our sins and raised for our justification
___ Good Advice: practical & moral guidance in order to live a good life here & now

_X_ None of the above.

A myth with a moral is neither news nor advice. It is just a story.
Looking at Christianity (and every other religion I've ever heard about) while some of the morals may make for good advice, taken as a whole, Christianity contains some good (though not innovative) in addition to a lot of dated and very bad advice.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 2 users Like Debzilla's post
27-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I believe we can stop worrying about the "beginning" of the universe and who caused it.
Science has studied the expanding universe and assumed that it all came from a singularity 13.7 billion years ago.
That's all fine, but we should consider that the possibility exists that there was never a first cause.
The universe as we can see and measure it is just that, what we can see and measure.
We actually don't know anything beyond this. Our time started 13.7 billion years ago as we measure physical reality.
The physical world, beyond our universe possibly, has likely always existed.
The proof is in the fact that we are here.
Nothing starts from nothing; therefore, everything always has been and always will be.
Energy does not form from nothing, nor dissipates to nothing.
Quantum physics is about energy levels.
No creator necessary. Nothing to create.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
27-04-2012, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2012 10:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-04-2012 08:39 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Nothing starts from nothing; therefore, everything always has been and always will be.
Energy does not form from nothing, nor dissipates to nothing.
No creator necessary. Nothing to create.

Agree. Except that we know the universe is not necessarily intuitive, (Relativity, (Einstein) and Uncertainty (Heisenberg)).

So we're left with that which we have evidence for only. Beyond is speculation. Krauss does propose a method where it might be possible to detect other universes, if they exist. So fun to live in exciting times.

The First Cause is an example of the Fallacy of Special Pleading, (they insist the universe needs a cause, "because everything does"), and when asked where their god comes from, they exempt themselves from the argument .. by saying it's a special situation).

Even if you grant them the First Cause, there is absolutley NO reason it has to be the one the Pink Monkeys on a backwater planet, orbiting an average star, out in a arm of a boring galaxy cooked up. The ONLY reason they do the "made in his image" thing, is because they are so unimaginative, (and it's an athropomorpic projection). My god would be digital. Much more evidence for THAT, in Physics.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think it's a vague question, as several people posited, but it's a loaded question. It's like when Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report asks his guests "Bush: Great president or the greatest president?"

I think you have to assume the premise that Christianity is true to accept that it is "good" anything. But in the hypothetical situation where I accept that premise, I see where you're going. I agree that it would be good advice rather than news.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
27-04-2012, 10:06 PM
(27-04-2012 09:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't think it's a vague question, as several people posited, but it's a loaded question. It's like when Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report asks his guests "Bush: Great president or the greatest president?"

I think you have to assume the premise that Christianity is true to accept that it is "good" anything. But in the hypothetical situation where I accept that premise, I see where you're going. I agree that it would be good advice rather than news.
This is what I was trying to articulate.

OP, your question is invalid to this audience.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
27-04-2012, 11:30 PM
(27-04-2012 10:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 09:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't think it's a vague question, as several people posited, but it's a loaded question. It's like when Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report asks his guests "Bush: Great president or the greatest president?"

This is what I was trying to articulate.

OP, your question is invalid to this audience.
Not necessarily. It's given us plenty to mock. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
28-04-2012, 01:11 AM
(27-04-2012 12:15 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Being that I have a Roman-Catholic background, I will say I heard the latter most. Heavy on the repentance and Jesus died for us stuff. Obviously, some advice thrown in such as how to maintain a healthy marriage.

Having said all of that... I would like to ask how you come to the conclusion that Christianity is "actually about" anything? Last I checked, Christians were at odds with each other in terms of agreement on the subject at hand.

Ignore this