Good Question. Let's Have Fun Finding Out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Good Question. Let's Have Fun Finding Out
I had a bit of time to kill over the last few days (being on sock-puppet monitoring duty and therefore desk-bound) so I was watching a few apologist vs atheist vids.

There often seemed to be a moment, an almost inevitable moment when the 'certainty: good but doubt: bad' argument raised a cheer from a believer-packed audience.

The response of "I/we don't know" was received with howls of derision... even if followed by "yet". "Scientists are still working that out" seemed to be all the evidence that was needed to prove the fallibility of mortals (compared to the divine) and by association, secular-humanists / atheists.

Worse, was that this would place the non-believer on the back-foot. A position from which some were slow to recover.

I had a thought; a thought I had...

Even though the "I don't know" response is perfectly valid and indeed can lead to a discussion on the merits of the scientific method(s) i.e. working towards certainty rather than starting from it, would it not be a better approach, and one that avoids the trap, to go straight to the positive attributes of discovery and avoid the negative link to a position of ignorance.

So, I'm going to try the response in the thread title next time I am thusly challenged.

Example:
Q: So, how do you explain how morality comes from matter?
A: Good question, sometimes I think that I understand it, sometimes I realise I do not have a clue... but it sure is fun finding out.

Big Grin

Perhaps you guys can try the same and report back your results.

Cheers

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
07-10-2014, 09:38 PM
RE: Good Question. Let's Have Fun Finding Out
cool story bro, needs more dragon.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-10-2014, 04:13 AM
As the zen master would say, you're asking the wrong questions;or I would.

It's just a pattern of piling on other processes from the stand point of matter.

From the matter when life arises, and it creates more of it's self. Life begat life and so forth as the annals say. Somewhere the motive of life desiring to keep creating life became important to itself.

Then when the forms of life that relied on grouping of species being necessarily for it's life lineage to continue, morality grew out of that. Ideas of benefiting the group and others are key if you need others to reproduce and keep creating life.

I think the unanswered and more intriguing question is why does life have the ingrown desire to reproduce more life.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Why do people care about things that have no answer and most likely never will?

Be true to yourself. Heart
08-10-2014, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 11:25 AM by DLJ.)
(08-10-2014 04:13 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
I think the unanswered and more intriguing question is why does life have the ingrown desire to reproduce more life.

Fair enough. But my point is that the on-the-spot answer we can give to your question, above, or similar questions, should not be "I don't know (yet)", it should be something like "isn't that the fun part... trying to find answers to these questions?"

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2014, 11:22 AM
(08-10-2014 04:13 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think the unanswered and more intriguing question is why does life have the ingrown desire to reproduce more life.

The genes that cause the that behavior (reproductive drive) are more successful at being replicated than genes that don't.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2014, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 04:07 PM by DLJ.)
(08-10-2014 08:22 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Why do people care about things that have no answer and most likely never will?

Women... I don't understand them and probably never will but I still care about them. Big Grin

It's because we're human. We have always wondered what is behind that hill, what is behind that mountain, is there anything beyond that sea, what is beyond the horizon... ?

I suppose we could content ourselves with "god dunnit" or "here be dragons".

[Image: there-be-dragons-map.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2014, 12:40 PM
(08-10-2014 11:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 08:22 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Why do people care about things that have no answer and most likely never will?

Women... I don't understand and them and probably never will but I still care about them. Big Grin

Touché
Laugh out load

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
08-10-2014, 12:44 PM
(08-10-2014 12:40 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 11:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Women... I don't understand and them and probably never will but I still care about them. Big Grin

Touché
Laugh out load

DLJ is very touché-feelé. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Because they can still be fun to discuss and consider...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post