Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
08-10-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: Good Question. Let's Have Fun Finding Out
(08-10-2014 01:06 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 12:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  DLJ is very touché-feelé. Yes

Aw, you're so punny. Cool

tbh, more touché than feelé but I'll take what I can get.

08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
(07-10-2014 07:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ---
So, I'm going to try the response in the thread title next time I am thusly challenged.

Example:
Q: So, how do you explain how morality comes from matter?
A: Good question, sometimes I think that I understand it, sometimes I realise I do not have a clue... but it sure is fun finding out.

Big Grin

Perhaps you guys can try the same and report back your results.

Cheers

It's positive - I like it! Thumbsup

I've noticed that when I've gotten blow back after saying, "We/I simply don't know." ... I've gotten a bit grumbly about it. I've more or less resorted to saying something like... , "At least.... I do know that I'm free to explore and ask as many questions to help me understand our latest discoveries."

Sometimes I get a grumble back but it usually just stops things from getting much nastier. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-10-2014, 01:52 PM
How does morality arise from matter?

I dunno. Sounds like a fucken boring question. Most times I don't think I even understand it, other times I think I'm fucked if I give a damn. Let's get fucken bored out of our skulls trying to figure out why the fuck you would ask such a dreary thing.

Angel

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-10-2014, 02:00 PM
(08-10-2014 01:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  How does morality arise from matter?

I dunno. Sounds like a fucken boring question. Most times I don't think I even understand it, other times I think I'm fucked if I give a damn. Let's get fucken bored out of our skulls trying to figure out why the fuck you would ask such a dreary thing.

Angel

earmuffs? Is that you? Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2014, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 02:11 PM by Deidre32.)
Lol
Deleted ...post was meant for joke thread
wtf I hate my phone! Angry

Be true to yourself. Heart
08-10-2014, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 02:12 PM by Deidre32.)
......deleted

Be true to yourself. Heart
04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
An unasked for update:

I have had the opportunity to use the new technique on 4 occasions.

Each time, there was a very slight hesitation as if the expected answer to their question should have been "I don't know".

I'm pretty sure, there would have been well-practiced derision had I answered thusly.

On one occasion, I noticed a flicker of a smile... as if to say "Nicely dodged".

Conclusion: This approach worked so I'll keep doing it.

Here's a great suggestion from Rahn and although this might prove a little more antagonistic, I'm going to use it and see what happens:

(04-11-2014 06:53 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
They call it supernatural but really I think unnatural is a better term

Another one, that I picked up from Dennett recently, is to use the term 'design' when referring to evolution... specifically, "design by evolution".

I'll have to re-read his argument a couple more times to get comfortable with it and I expect to be confronted with "but a design needs a designer" etc. but most human designs are just changes of time so why not?

The question will hinge on whether design has or needs a pre-considered purpose or whether it's as simple as adapting to a changing environment in a reactive way.

Any thoughts?

04-11-2014, 11:10 AM
(04-11-2014 09:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I expect to be confronted with "but a design needs a designer"

It strikes me as an equivocation. A sand dune is designed by wind and gravity but that's not really the same things as a building being designed by an architect.

I'm not against using "designed by evolution" since I think it will throw a bit of a wrench into the typical scripted argument just like the "good question, how can we find out?" type of response does. It could lead to a deeper understanding of where you are coming from. As long as you keep intentional design distinct from unintentional design in your own mind it could be a useful tool.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
(04-11-2014 11:10 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 09:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I expect to be confronted with "but a design needs a designer"

It strikes me as an equivocation. A sand dune is designed by wind and gravity but that's not really the same things as a building being designed by an architect.

I'm not against using "designed by evolution" since I think it will throw a bit of a wrench into the typical scripted argument just like the "good question, how can we find out?" type of response does. It could lead to a deeper understanding of where you are coming from. As long as you keep intentional design distinct from unintentional design in your own mind it could be a useful tool.

Yup. Exactly.

I think that's Dennett's point... that we claim back the term from the ID crowd.