• 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Good Without God
What is good without god for you?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: Good Without God
(05-08-2013 05:46 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  What is good without god for you?

I have never had god in my life from day one of my existence so I have nothing to compare it to. Everything is good without god. Just, everything.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Basically, whatever I judge to be good. I don't consider "good" to have an objective meaning, but rather a subjective one dependent on a collective.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post
06-08-2013, 01:39 AM

Ice cream.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
06-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Art, is something that will never need a divine guide and so intrinsically human
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 07:12 PM

Me.

Because I believe I am a man of good conscience (as best as I can be) and I will not follow orders blindly.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Captain Jean Luc Picard

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean Luc Picard
09-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Bah, good despite God. Tongue

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
10-08-2013, 12:33 AM
I can be a better person because I have no gods, not in spite of having no gods.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
11-08-2013, 04:44 PM
(10-08-2013 12:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I can be a better person because I have no gods, not in spite of having no gods.

That's my view too. Gods hold people back from being good. They are divisive, discriminatory, and mandate terrible things. Without gods I am free to accept people for who they are and do what is right, not what a book tells me to.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
The "Good without God" campaign is certainly quite interesting.
Obviously many religious folk are turned off by the thought of no god thus no moral standard and no significant seperation of humanity from the other animals that walk the Earth.
That is why atheists are seen as one of the most distrusted groups in America, despite the fact that no destructive monster has ever done anything in the name of atheism.
Just think about how you feel about a person who proclaims that they have no morals, that is how many Christians think of atheists.

I guess the Good without God campaign is implanting the suggestion that without God people can still be Good, still have morals.
Well I think the religious folk are winning this argument. If our morals do not come from an objective source such as a god then they are merely subjective opinions which are as changable as the wind, or whatever desire suits us at the time.

I think the best approach is to attack the concept of morality althogether. Without morality people will be less motivated to oppress each other and will likely focus on a more inclusive, tolerant and diverse society.
But the world isn't ready to discard morality. Certainly not in one step. I'm sure most atheists that read this post are like "What, no morality? that's nuts, society will fall apart!". All I can say, is that we have been well conditioned for moral beliefs.