Good ancient history books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Good ancient history books
Hey everyone, I am looking for books about ancient civilizations that I could find, either at the library or on amazon, that I could sit down and read. I love history and being able to find more information would be great. To be more specific I'm looking for more historical accounts with fact via archeology rather than simply myth. I know that historical accounts are basically propaganda but I'm willing to sift through that. Thanks for any helps everyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 10:30 PM
RE: Good ancient history books
(12-09-2014 01:18 PM)Woefatt Wrote:  Hey everyone, I am looking for books about ancient civilizations that I could find, either at the library or on amazon, that I could sit down and read. I love history and being able to find more information would be great. To be more specific I'm looking for more historical accounts with fact via archeology rather than simply myth. I know that historical accounts are basically propaganda but I'm willing to sift through that. Thanks for any helps everyone.

The Bible Unearthed is a great book. I'm re-reading it.

I also loved the book called Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire by Eric Berkowitz. It traces the laws that condoned some sex acts while punishing others and the changes in attitudes over the centuries and why these changes happened. It begins 4000 years ago with a trial written down in cuneiform and ends with the trial of Oscar Wilde in 1895. Very interesting book. Sex surrounded by history.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Along those lines, I enjoyed "Sex at Dawn," which also discusses pre civilization. I believe this book provides one of the best insights into the emergence of sexual repression based religions as a direct result of the advent of agriculture necessitating a family unit that contradicts our instinctual drives, as opposed to the now obsolete egalitarian tribes for which we are more ideally evolved but are obsolete.

'Murican Canadian
17-09-2014, 06:25 AM
(12-09-2014 01:18 PM)Woefatt Wrote:  Hey everyone, I am looking for books about ancient civilizations that I could find, either at the library or on amazon, that I could sit down and read. I love history and being able to find more information would be great. To be more specific I'm looking for more historical accounts with fact via archeology rather than simply myth. I know that historical accounts are basically propaganda but I'm willing to sift through that. Thanks for any helps everyone.

Although it covers history up to around the 18th century, Samurai, A Military History is superb in telling the (military) history of Japan from a few centuries AD http://www.amazon.com/The-Samurai-A-Mili...1873410387
17-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Wikipedia.

Just check out your local library.
17-09-2014, 07:54 AM

All the ones I know about have to be read standing up. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.