Good and bad luck

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Good and bad luck
I used to dismiss the idea of "luck" because it seemed akin to auras and chakras. But if you dismiss luck as a purpose driven force bestowed upon you by some divine being and instead realize that luck is simply the collection of events examined in retrospect, luck is quite acceptable. When you examine the outcomes of a group of people, you can determine who had the worst outcomes of the group, and subsequently you can determine who had the worst "luck" of the group. So when I claim that I'm the unluckiest motherfucker on the planet, it's perfectly plausible because I'm not suggesting that I have fallen out of favor with the luck gods, but rather that mathematically I am consistently unfortunate in the possible outcomes of occurrences.

This may be common sense to most of you, but I actually dismissed the concept of luck until I really thought about it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
01-05-2012, 05:50 AM
RE: Good and bad luck
(30-04-2012 10:40 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I used to dismiss the idea of "luck" because it seemed akin to auras and chakras. But if you dismiss luck as a purpose driven force bestowed upon you by some divine being and instead realize that luck is simply the collection of events examined in retrospect, luck is quite acceptable. When you examine the outcomes of a group of people, you can determine who had the worst outcomes of the group, and subsequently you can determine who had the worst "luck" of the group. So when I claim that I'm the unluckiest motherfucker on the planet, it's perfectly plausible because I'm not suggesting that I have fallen out of favor with the luck gods, but rather that mathematically I am consistently unfortunate in the possible outcomes of occurrences.

This may be common sense to most of you, but I actually dismissed the concept of luck until I really thought about it.
I agree with you... I do the following a lot... BUT, every time the phrase "common sense" is used, I feel like ripping out a baby panda's eyeballs. NSV would LOVE that.

I think luck actually exists, but as you said, without any divinity attached to it. Just a fortunate statistical outcome for a particular event.

I always say that children born/adopted into rich families are fortunate. This is also why I cringe when someone that came from a well-to-do family starts a business and claims independence. It's not just about the money, they had the fortune of better schooling and networking. More doors are open for them. I'm not saying that this is the case 100% of the time, just that I'd wager a big bet that this is the majority.

But, there's something great about statistics. Everything evens out. If you take a survey of all the things that people feel lucky/unlucky about, I am sure it will be pretty even. There is an exception though, this averaging out probably only occurs in first-world settings amongst middle-class and up.

Thanks for the topic! This is something I've always pondered on.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
05-05-2012, 04:47 PM
RE: Good and bad luck
I never thought of luck as something that came from a god. I actually made my own definition of it : "Good luck is when something good happens, or things play out in your favor, and you had no control over it". For example, the lights turned green just as you came to the traffic lights. You had no control over the fact that the lights turned green just as you drove past, but it was something good that happened.
Of course bad luck is just the opposite of everything I just said.

I also find that I sometimes have trouble letting go of superstitions. Before, I used to have the superstition that, if I see 1 magpie on its own, bad luck will come my way, but if I see 2 magpies, good luck will come my way. Even now, if I see 1 magpie, I get the feeling something bad will happen.