Good arguments against Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Good arguments against Christianity?
What are some of your favorite arguments against Christianity in general? I enjoy using philosophical/logical arguments, but I’m looking to expand my arsenal of topics I can use. One topic I find particularly interesting argues the invalidity of Christianity based on the fact that Christian writings stole so many things from previous religious traditions. Something like this:
http://see_the_truth.webs.com/Old%20Testament.html
Does anyone else have any topics they’d recommend bringing up while debating? I’m fairly good at arguing from a philosophical stance, or a moral one, but like I said, I want to become more diverse in my approach. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2016, 01:54 PM
RE: Good arguments against Christianity?
Welcome to TTA.

I read over the stuff in the link before approving your post.

We have a general policy of removing links in a first post for a number of reasons. There's a heap of anti-Jewish rhetoric going on there but I've left the link so that critical minds can have their say.

I hope you find what you're looking for here.

Smile

06-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Personally, I concentrate on these three things -- all fatal flaws, IMO:
  • The sheer, ghastly immorality of the "sacrifice" of Jesus, and having to accept it to avoid eternal punishment.
  • The emphasis on faith rather than works.
  • The total silence of contemporaneous historians regarding Jesus, with the earliest stories coming via hearsay decades after he supposedly died.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
06-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Interestingly, if I were to engage with a Christian regarding Jesus, I would actually point to the Jewish belief. If they don't think he's the messiah, wouldn't they be the authority?

But my favorite topics to debunk are hell and its origins and Original Sin using evolution.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-12-2016, 03:03 PM
(06-12-2016 01:37 PM)20kittens Wrote:  What are some of your favorite arguments against Christianity in general? I enjoy using philosophical/logical arguments, but I’m looking to expand my arsenal of topics I can use. One topic I find particularly interesting argues the invalidity of Christianity based on the fact that Christian writings stole so many things from previous religious traditions. Something like this:
http://see_the_truth.webs.com/Old%20Testament.html
Does anyone else have any topics they’d recommend bringing up while debating? I’m fairly good at arguing from a philosophical stance, or a moral one, but like I said, I want to become more diverse in my approach. Thanks!

I stopped reading your link when it referenced the protocols of the elders of zion. We've had a lot of anti-Semitic pieces of shit on here lately, but I'll try to be optimistic about your motives here.

Instead of bashing Judaism -a religion that I'd venture to guess you know absolutely nothing about first hand, why don't you ask the question, "what is it about Judaism that prevents them from seeing eye to eye with Christianity on anything ?" The Jews have dismissed the Christian argument for 2000 years in spite of Christianity's claim to be rooted in Judaism. Maybe there is some disqualifying theology to be found there.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
06-12-2016, 03:05 PM
The problem of evil is something Christianity has never provided satisfactory answers for, in fact there's a whole lot of people that begin questioning it for this reason.

A knowledge of history debunks all of the global effect myths in Genesis.

The pyramids were never flooded over the top of their peaks, the Egyptians had a relatively normal succession of kings during the time of the alleged Noahtic flood.

There are cities older than the alleged 6000 year old creation myth and there was no such thing as the Hebrew god until around 3000-3500 years ago, many cultures were worshiping other gods long before the Hebrew god was invented.

The Tower of Babel is a joke, there is simply too much evidence for any person to refute that many languages were around long before the Tower of Babel (allegedly 2200 BC)

All of the the 3 global effect myths in Genesis have their analogs in Babylonian and Sumerian mythology that predates Hebrew myth.

There are several other myths that have their analogs in other cultures such as the myth of The Righteous Sufferer, this is where the book of Job was inspired from.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Christianity does not flow in any way from Hebrew culture, despite it's erroneous claims to the contrary, (as Aliza has pointed out).

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...+Testament
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-12-2016, 03:54 PM
(06-12-2016 01:37 PM)20kittens Wrote:  What are some of your favorite arguments against Christianity in general?
The sheer outrageousness of it's claims, particularly the central claim that someone rose from the dead. Really? Take away the childhood indoctrination and few people would take it seriously if presented at face value. Of course some people are that gullible, otherwise we would not have Scientology and Mormonism. Christianity was the Scientology/Mormonism of the first century. Scientology/Mormonism just might still be around 2000 years from now.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
06-12-2016, 04:00 PM
I think going after the historicity of the Bible is a great way to start and of course we do have so much information now thanks to science that can help us investigate the flood story or genesis, so if proving only one part of the Bible false should be enough to question the entire fucking book.

Also can a God be all knowing, all good, and all powerful and still allow people to be murdered, raped, tortured, etc.?

Even humans are held to higher standards than that. In another thread I had mentioned "depraved indifference" murder, when a person basically allows another person to die when they could've saved them or at the very least called for help. It has to be in their power to help, they have to be able to help without endangering their own life and their negligence directly resulted in a death or grievous bodily harm to another person.

Even though it's kind of rare and is usually charged as 2nd degree murder or reckless endangerment if we were to treat this omni God as a person we could easily charge him with the murders, rapes, kidnappings, torture, etc. of every human being who has ever suffered from any of these crimes since he was aware of it (all knowing), he's was in the room or at the location it occurred (he's everywhere), able to do something to stop it (all powerful), wants to stop it since he knows it's wrong (all good), and he's not in any danger by stopping it since he's immortal.

Why anyone would think such a being is "loving" or even worthy of worship is questionable from the very beginning.

If a Xian says "Well, we have free will so we can hurt each other and we can still be saved, etc." then ask them about all the "miracles" that have supposedly saved people from dying because God decided to step in, if he stops it sometimes but not other times, he's indifferent and it's fucking psychotic to pick and choose the lucky people pretty much randomly and then decide they deserve a miracle while others don't. He can't be in your life, granting you favors, answering your prayers and at the same time ignoring the pain and suffering of millions of others, it's just fucked up.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
06-12-2016, 04:49 PM
I will respond to Kittens when it has more than one post.

I detest drive-bys.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post