Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Good deeds done dirt cheap
So today I had the day off of work and decided to get out early this morning to run around town and visit my local library to mess around on the free internet.

Half a block away, I saw a guy with a small gas can and his truck broke down.
I drove by him and then thought, "It's cold as fuck out here (-11 C) 11 F, I should at least give him a ride to the gas station. It's only 6 blocks away but I figured he would appreciate it none the less. This was a guy I didn't know, but who was a neighbor who lived 3 houses down.

He got in. Was very appreciative to be out of the cold. He didn't have but a couple dollars on him at the time and wasn't really sure why his truck wasn't starting.
I needed gas in my car anyway and gave him a couple gallons of gas. We chit chatted along the way and he's about my age with a son who is 19. He's going through the same stuff with his son, that I am with mine.

So, through none of this chatting did religion come up until he gets back to his truck and says "All you can do is pray that god will see you through. May god bless you today and I thank you for stopping and helping me out this morning."
At this point I felt that I had to reply "Well, as it turns out, I'm an atheist."
He says "Well, it was a godly thing you did. Thank you again."
I said "You're welcome and now you can tell everyone. HEY, an atheist helped me out this morning"

He smiled and we both laughed.
Had he not mentioned religion, he would have never known I was an atheist, but since he brought it up, I'll be damned if I was going to let him think that his god provided for him.

Nope, an atheist provided for him.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 28 users Like Rahn127's post
20-11-2014, 10:15 AM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
Good for you.

I just reached second level screening to be a bone marrow doner. I gave my blood samples on Tuesday. Now I wait to see if I am a good enough match to move forward with the donation.
[+] 7 users Like wazzel's post
20-11-2014, 11:09 AM
(20-11-2014 10:09 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So today I had the day off of work and decided to get out early this morning to run around town and visit my local library to mess around on the free internet.

I drove by him and then thought, "It's cold as fuck out here (-11 C) 11 F, I should at least give him a ride to the gas station. It's only 6 blocks away but I figured he would appreciate it none the less. This was a guy I didn't know, but who was a neighbor who lived 3 houses down.

He got in. Was very appreciative to be out of the cold. He didn't have but a couple dollars on him at the time and wasn't really sure why his truck wasn't starting.
I needed gas in my car anyway and gave him a couple gallons of gas. We chit chatted along the way and he's about my age with a son who is 19. He's going through the same stuff with his son, that I am with mine.

So, through none of this chatting did religion come up until he gets back to his truck and says "All you can do is pray that god will see you through. May god bless you today and I thank you for stopping and helping me out this morning."
At this point I felt that I had to reply "Well, as it turns out, I'm an atheist."
I said "You're welcome and now you can tell everyone. HEY, an atheist helped me out this morning"

Had he not mentioned religion, he would have never known I was an atheist, but since he brought it up, I'll be damned if I was going to let him think that his god provided for him.

Nononononononono......

God provided an atheist who provided for him.

See how that works?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 10 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
20-11-2014, 11:52 AM
(20-11-2014 11:09 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 10:09 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So today I had the day off of work and decided to get out early this morning to run around town and visit my local library to mess around on the free internet.

Nononononononono......

See how that works?

I see, so god couldn't find any good christians in the neighborhood with a church 2 blocks to the west, one 4 blocks to the north and another 10 blocks to the east

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
20-11-2014, 12:23 PM
(20-11-2014 11:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 11:09 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Nononononononono......

See how that works?

I see, so god couldn't find any good christians in the neighborhood with a church 2 blocks to the west, one 4 blocks to the north and another 10 blocks to the east

Sounds about right, "mysterious ways" and all. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
20-11-2014, 01:59 PM
(20-11-2014 12:23 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(20-11-2014 11:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I see, so god couldn't find any good christians in the neighborhood with a church 2 blocks to the west, one 4 blocks to the north and another 10 blocks to the east

Sounds about right, "mysterious ways" and all. Dodgy
[Image: a3ea20387d274ff2957ce0e4a104c60b.jpg]
Big Grin
[Image: 223.jpg]

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
21-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Well, thank God he witnessed his faith to you so that he could know that God sent an atheist to help and build some bridges between us! And so he was triply blessed as he had help in a time of need, witnessed faith and learned that atheists are wonderful people (which they are, you can lost but wonderful)!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2014, 12:39 PM
(21-11-2014 10:53 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Well, thank God he witnessed his faith to you so that he could know that God sent an atheist to help and build some bridges between us! And so he was triply blessed as he had help in a time of need, witnessed faith and learned that atheists are wonderful people (which they are, you can lost but wonderful)!

Here is the thing, an outside observer could observe all of the actions that took place, but the god part only comes in when the guy says it out loud.
That guy injects god into his experience from his own mind.

He spraying mental perfume on a flower.
He is painting mental gold onto a gold ring.
He has to project his god into the scene from within his own mind.
That's the only way god gets into this story.

[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
24-11-2014, 10:57 AM
(21-11-2014 12:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 10:53 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Well, thank God he witnessed his faith to you so that he could know that God sent an atheist to help and build some bridges between us! And so he was triply blessed as he had help in a time of need, witnessed faith and learned that atheists are wonderful people (which they are, you can lost but wonderful)!

Here is the thing, an outside observer could observe all of the actions that took place, but the god part only comes in when the guy says it out loud.

Did the atheist in our story hear a real person testify of God or did he imagine the person doing so? Did he hear a man testify or inject it into his experience from his own mind?

After you answer that, answer this. Did you inject God into this story or did an atheist tell you a theist told him about his witness for God? We see again the Bible confirmed that a witness does not return empty but bears fruit... I've heard atheists cursing witnessing Christians to their friends and think, "Thanks! Now people are thinking about God yet again!"

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2014, 11:04 AM
(24-11-2014 10:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 12:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Here is the thing, an outside observer could observe all of the actions that took place, but the god part only comes in when the guy says it out loud.

Did the atheist in our story hear a real person testify of God or did he imagine the person doing so? Did he hear a man testify or inject it into his experience from his own mind?

After you answer that, answer this. Did you inject God into this story or did an atheist tell you a theist told him about his witness for God? We see again the Bible confirmed that a witness does not return empty but bears fruit... I've heard atheists cursing witnessing Christians to their friends and think, "Thanks! Now people are thinking about God yet again!"

LOL! You just rehashed the plot from Oh God 2:

[Image: oh-god-book-2-movie-poster-1980-1020248588.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition