Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
This is as good of a thread to put this in as any, I went with the Oklahoma Atheist group to do volunteer work at the regional food bank a couple of weeks ago. It was a good work out, I showed solidarity with other atheists, and we helped people.

So I took my wife to eat at Golden Coral on Saturday and some people ahead of us paid our meal forward, so we got our meal for free. Am I receiving karma/god's blessings for volunteering? If I like deluding myself by unnecessarily correlating life events, I guess so. But since I don't indulge in delusional mindsets anymore, I think I'll just say thanks to the dude that paid our meal and not waste any of my time finding spurious correlations of events.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Re: Good deeds done dirt cheap
God saw his people were busy picketing gays and looking for Satanism in schools. He figured you were as good a shot as any.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
25-11-2014, 09:20 AM
(24-11-2014 11:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is as good of a thread to put this in as any, I went with the Oklahoma Atheist group to do volunteer work at the regional food bank a couple of weeks ago. It was a good work out, I showed solidarity with other atheists, and we helped people.

So I took my wife to eat at Golden Coral on Saturday and some people ahead of us paid our meal forward, so we got our meal for free. Am I receiving karma/god's blessings for volunteering? If I like deluding myself by unnecessarily correlating life events, I guess so. But since I don't indulge in delusional mindsets anymore, I think I'll just say thanks to the dude that paid our meal and not waste any of my time finding spurious correlations of events.

Had you not heard?

"He sends the blessings of rain on the just and unjust." - Matthew 5:45

You acted justly in helping another and the good Lord provided a good buffet at a pretty good restaurant. Enjoy! And thank you for volunteering.

Also, yes, say thanks to the dude that paid for the meal.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Facepalm
I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you're just kidding here.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-11-2014, 08:42 PM
(25-11-2014 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 11:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is as good of a thread to put this in as any, I went with the Oklahoma Atheist group to do volunteer work at the regional food bank a couple of weeks ago. It was a good work out, I showed solidarity with other atheists, and we helped people.

Had you not heard?

You acted justly in helping another and the good Lord provided a good buffet at a pretty good restaurant. Enjoy! And thank you for volunteering.

"The good Lord provided a good buffet at a pretty good restaurant". Yeah. Sure. Your god seems to pick and choose who he sends help to. Some guy in the US at a restaurant is provided for but then he seems to forget the most needy......

[Image: vulture-child.jpg]

People help other people. Your fairy story deity doesn't do shit for people and he doesn't do shit for people because he doesn't exist.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-11-2014, 09:07 PM
(25-11-2014 08:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Had you not heard?

"The good Lord provided a good buffet at a pretty good restaurant". Yeah. Sure. Your god seems to pick and choose who he sends help to. Some guy in the US at a restaurant is provided for but then he seems to forget the most needy......

People help other people. Your fairy story deity doesn't do shit for people and he doesn't do shit for people because he doesn't exist.

Yeah, if his god existed I would say take the little buffet back and heal a kid from cancer or feed a starving child. I don't want his cheap parlor tricks expended on my behalf, use the magic on someone that's suffering.

[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
(25-11-2014 09:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 08:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "The good Lord provided a good buffet at a pretty good restaurant". Yeah. Sure. Your god seems to pick and choose who he sends help to. Some guy in the US at a restaurant is provided for but then he seems to forget the most needy......

Yeah, if his god existed I would say take the little buffet back and heal a kid from cancer or feed a starving child. I don't want his cheap parlor tricks expended on my behalf, use the magic on someone that's suffering.

How is succor for someone who does a good deed a "cheap parlor trick"?

I don't hesitate to ask as well, what are you doing for the suffering in this world? My family and I sponsor several families overseas, have visited the hurting in nursery homes and prisons and more. I worked for years for secular and Christian nonprofit charities--taking a reduced salary for what I could make in the corporate sector to help my fellow man. It is tempting to tell others not to press God like he's a sky-piñata who dispenses miracle candies until they themselves get off the couches where they sit watching TV. The Lord helps those who help others is what I'm sayin'.

Put another way, if you want God to do magic to help others, perhaps you should begin with exercising the free will He gave you to help others.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Rahn,
I don't know why it took so long, but I just got the AC/DC connection with your title. I'm slow like that.
Doc
02-12-2014, 03:19 PM
(02-12-2014 02:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, if his god existed I would say take the little buffet back and heal a kid from cancer or feed a starving child. I don't want his cheap parlor tricks expended on my behalf, use the magic on someone that's suffering.

How is succor for someone who does a good deed a "cheap parlor trick"?

I don't hesitate to ask as well, what are you doing for the suffering in this world? My family and I sponsor several families overseas, have visited the hurting in nursery homes and prisons and more. I worked for years for secular and Christian nonprofit charities--taking a reduced salary for what I could make in the corporate sector to help my fellow man. It is tempting to tell others not to press God like he's a sky-piñata who dispenses miracle candies until they themselves get off the couches where they sit watching TV. The Lord helps those who help others is what I'm sayin'.

Put another way, if you want God to do magic to help others, perhaps you should begin with exercising the free will He gave you to help others.
If god does not do anything for those who are truly in need until someone else steps up, what make you think there is a god behind it in the first place?
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
02-12-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 04:21 PM by TheInquisition.)
(02-12-2014 03:19 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 02:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How is succor for someone who does a good deed a "cheap parlor trick"?

If god does not do anything for those who are truly in need until someone else steps up, what make you think there is a god behind it in the first place?

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Exactly, he just doesn't seem to realize he's described a world in which there is no god, there's just us.

He rationalizes a pathetic god that's constrained by human choice, including those who choose to do wrong to others. This god of his is complicit with all evil and gets a free pass because of choice.