Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
I am aware when the children in my house are hungry or when they don't have enough clothes on for the climate or if they are endangering themselves. I act to feed them, to clothe them, and provide for their safety.

If a god is aware of everyone and doesn't act, then that's just a horrible sky daddy or as the atheists would say, a non-existant sky daddy.

Its very evident that if we don't act, then no action takes place.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
(02-12-2014 02:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, if his god existed I would say take the little buffet back and heal a kid from cancer or feed a starving child. I don't want his cheap parlor tricks expended on my behalf, use the magic on someone that's suffering.

How is succor for someone who does a good deed a "cheap parlor trick"?

I don't hesitate to ask as well, what are you doing for the suffering in this world? My family and I sponsor several families overseas, have visited the hurting in nursery homes and prisons and more. I worked for years for secular and Christian nonprofit charities--taking a reduced salary for what I could make in the corporate sector to help my fellow man. It is tempting to tell others not to press God like he's a sky-piñata who dispenses miracle candies until they themselves get off the couches where they sit watching TV. The Lord helps those who help others is what I'm sayin'.

Put another way, if you want God to do magic to help others, perhaps you should begin with exercising the free will He gave you to help others.

Matthew 6:1-4 ESV

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others.
Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

Yeah, you're the True Christian™. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
(25-11-2014 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Had you not heard?

"He sends the blessings of rain on the just and unjust." - Matthew 5:45

I'm sorta wondering about this one. It looks like it's basically saying 'blessings' are random and go to the just and unjust alike...
Not sure that's a great message for a deity to spread. :/
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
(02-12-2014 06:41 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(25-11-2014 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Had you not heard?

"He sends the blessings of rain on the just and unjust." - Matthew 5:45

I'm sorta wondering about this one. It looks like it's basically saying 'blessings' are random and go to the just and unjust alike...
Not sure that's a great message for a deity to spread. :/

The rain it raineth on the just
and on the unjust fella.
But chiefly on the just because
the unjust stole the just's umbrella.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
(02-12-2014 03:52 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 03:19 PM)wazzel Wrote:  If god does not do anything for those who are truly in need until someone else steps up, what make you think there is a god behind it in the first place?

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Exactly, he just doesn't seem to realize he's described a world in which there is no god, there's just us.

He rationalizes a pathetic god that's constrained by human choice, including those who choose to do wrong to others. This god of his is complicit with all evil and gets a free pass because of choice.

So that would be a "no" to helping others, then?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
03-12-2014, 01:01 PM
(03-12-2014 11:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 03:52 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Exactly, he just doesn't seem to realize he's described a world in which there is no god, there's just us.

He rationalizes a pathetic god that's constrained by human choice, including those who choose to do wrong to others. This god of his is complicit with all evil and gets a free pass because of choice.

So that would be a "no" to helping others, then?

That would be a "no" to needing and imaginary deity to make me help others. I help for no other reasons than it is the good thing to do, I want to and I can. I do a lot more than most Christians I know.
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
(02-12-2014 02:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't hesitate to ask as well, what are you doing for the suffering in this world?
Put another way, if you want God to do magic to help others, perhaps you should begin with exercising the free will He gave you to help others.

Pathetic attempt to divert the subject. The subject is whether an atheist, "God", or both helped the man in the truck. The man in the truck saw Rahn127 so we know he (the atheist) was there. Rahn127 saw the man in the truck so we know he was there too. But alas for you, no one saw "God" anywhere. In fact, there was no evidence whatsoever that "God" had anything to do with it. Your attempt to include "God" in the equation is nothing but arbitrary wishful thinking... well that and also just plain wrong.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Religionists always give a god all the props for any good and always blame the person for any bad. Can’t fight this type of delusional lunacy.

Maybe a lobotomy Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
(03-12-2014 01:01 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 11:57 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So that would be a "no" to helping others, then?

That would be a "no" to needing and imaginary deity to make me help others. I help for no other reasons than it is the good thing to do, I want to and I can. I do a lot more than most Christians I know.

I was asking TheInquisition, but please, tell us about how you do more--and then we'll go back to seeing if you know true Christians--or at least as soon as we resolve THAT issue on another thread.

PS. You are raising an epistemological question of dire importance by citing your motivation for good works as "for no other reasons than it is the good thing to do". How do you know it is good to help others? How do you know when you're enabling, not helping, a needy person? Do you believe as some New Atheists do that an atheist can hold to and follow an objective moral? Years ago, many atheists I knew said they wouldn't even use the word moral, only "ethical", and they and others would not use the word "good" in this kind of debate. On what basis are you so certain that you are doing "good"?

I would say that I help others because I love people. However, I believe love is not only chemical, but a choice of free will, an action or verb, and a spiritual force of power. How might you explain "how to do good" to someone who says, "people are nothing, just carbon compounds that are also consumers"?

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I recorded the NFL without their permission, does that count as a good deed?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37