Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 05:23 PM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
(04-12-2014 03:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:30 PM)unfogged Wrote:  How do you determine which is the "higher" principle according to the bible? Jesus said to keep the commandments but also broke the sabbath; how can you tell when it is OK to break them? Why is "love thy neighbor" higher than "don't lie" when not lying is right up there in the top 10 of the commandments Jesus said to keep?

Are you familiar with the question-and-answer sessions in the Bible where Jesus was asked which were the highest laws to keep and so on?

Matthew 12? Matthew 19? They don't tell me how you determine which is the higher principle. Please answer the question.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
(04-12-2014 03:32 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ARRRGHHHHHHH! The only "trap" I'm trying to get any atheists into at this forum is to THINK about the issues rather than spout one-liners back and so on. I think Robby thinks and some others...

And it IS up to me and YOU to judge the validity of others' faith. Jesus also warned of wolves in sheep's clothing! I'm going to Heaven, but for others to get there they need to follow the right book, the right guideposts, and at some times, the right people. I tell Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses etc. where to get on and off the bus. That's like, my job, man!

I agree with you that helping others falls in the good pile for most. Now I ask what you get for doing good...?

Sorry I do not respond in depth. I tend to be brief, even in person. I think about lots of thing. It may not look that way to you, oh well.

No it is not. I was a catholic for a long time. Listening to the true/not true Christian thing was terribly annoying then. The standards for gaging validity of faith is all over the place and hardly reliable, even inside a single denomination.

I get nothing for doing good, nor do I expect anything.

By true/not true as a Catholic, do you mean Catholics saying others aren't the true church or evangelicals saying the Roman Catholic Church teaches wrong things?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2014, 12:33 PM
(04-12-2014 03:41 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When I first drove by the man in need of help, I didn't stop. I was only thinking of myself, my need for warmth, my goals for the day and where I was going.

By the time I drove half a block to the stop sign, I began to think of what he was going through. I began to think of his needs, his desire for warmth and how his truck not working would ruin his goals for the day.

Human empathy caused me to turn back and offer my help. I wasn't doing it for a reward or because I was trying to avoid some punishment if I didn't. I did it because someone was in need and I was in a position to fulfill that need. I filled the gap.

Humans have a need to fill gaps.
It balances the equation, provides balance, but far too often when people don't know something, instead of searching for truth, they lean on a lie. That lie won't support you. You will fall down, every time.

But before you fall, it feels like that lie is supporting you. It feels like the truth, for a brief moment.

Stop filling your gaps with lies and start filling the gaps with actions, your actions, your actions to help, to research, to comfort, to truly give of yourself and think of others.

Why assume I don't help others? Why not take me at my word where I said I did in this thread?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
05-12-2014, 12:34 PM
(04-12-2014 05:23 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Are you familiar with the question-and-answer sessions in the Bible where Jesus was asked which were the highest laws to keep and so on?

Matthew 12? Matthew 19? They don't tell me how you determine which is the higher principle. Please answer the question.

Excuse me for being Socratic, but that is what we Q do. When I asked you, "Are you familiar with the question-and-answer sessions in the Bible where Jesus was asked which were the highest laws to keep and so on?" obviously you hadn't.

Did you want to look those up for yourself or have me tell you what the Bible teaches instead?

05-12-2014, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 01:15 PM by unfogged.)
(05-12-2014 12:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Did you want to look those up for yourself or have me tell you what the Bible teaches instead?

I'm just waiting for you to answer the question. How do you determine which is the higher principle?

05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
(05-12-2014 12:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:32 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Sorry I do not respond in depth. I tend to be brief, even in person. I think about lots of thing. It may not look that way to you, oh well.

No it is not. I was a catholic for a long time. Listening to the true/not true Christian thing was terribly annoying then. The standards for gaging validity of faith is all over the place and hardly reliable, even inside a single denomination.

I get nothing for doing good, nor do I expect anything.

By true/not true as a Catholic, do you mean Catholics saying others aren't the true church or evangelicals saying the Roman Catholic Church teaches wrong things?

Both, all the denomination say the others are not the true version.
05-12-2014, 03:30 PM
(05-12-2014 12:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 12:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Did you want to look those up for yourself or have me tell you what the Bible teaches instead?

I'm just waiting for you to answer the question. How do you determine which is the higher principle?

When choosing between varying actions, my filters are what Jesus (and others, secular and religious, who comment on the scriptures) call the highest Bible laws: love your neighbor, love God. Does the action show love/service to God or to people or both? Is one more loving? One less?

Why would I bear false witness to a Nazi? To save someone from execution. Why would I not bear false witness on the forums here? 1. No one's life is at risk. 2. It's not loving. 3. It's not appropriate or needed to bear false witness to save someone. Jesus asked His followers to be His witnesses--true witnesses, etc.

05-12-2014, 03:31 PM
(05-12-2014 01:04 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 12:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  By true/not true as a Catholic, do you mean Catholics saying others aren't the true church or evangelicals saying the Roman Catholic Church teaches wrong things?

Both, all the denomination say the others are not the true version.

I've noticed that, too. I've also seen that of the 33,000 sects, only Roman Catholics and a few others have praying to Mary, salvation is not by trusting Jesus, you must confess to a priest, etc. In other words, I've been struck by how many times people interpreted the Bible freshly and came up with similar conclusions on the essentials--how to be saved and who Jesus is, etc.

05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
(05-12-2014 03:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 12:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm just waiting for you to answer the question. How do you determine which is the higher principle?

When choosing between varying actions, my filters are what Jesus (and others, secular and religious, who comment on the scriptures) call the highest Bible laws: love your neighbor, love God. Does the action show love/service to God or to people or both? Is one more loving? One less?

Thank you. How would you decide the higher principle between loving people and loving god?

09-12-2014, 11:50 AM
(05-12-2014 06:37 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 03:30 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  When choosing between varying actions, my filters are what Jesus (and others, secular and religious, who comment on the scriptures) call the highest Bible laws: love your neighbor, love God. Does the action show love/service to God or to people or both? Is one more loving? One less?

Thank you. How would you decide the higher principle between loving people and loving god?

There are Bible statements that the highest principle is to love God. There are statements that the Law, which was meant to help govern and anchor human relations and society, is summed in the love thy neighbor principle.

Again, there should be no conflict. If I have to give up my own life to show love for God, I shall. And I love myself! I am to love my neighbor AS myself, something no one ever did as well as Christ.