Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
(09-12-2014 11:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 06:37 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Thank you. How would you decide the higher principle between loving people and loving god?

There are Bible statements that the highest principle is to love God. There are statements that the Law, which was meant to help govern and anchor human relations and society, is summed in the love thy neighbor principle.

That doesn't address the question in any way.

Quote:Again, there should be no conflict. If I have to give up my own life to show love for God, I shall. And I love myself! I am to love my neighbor AS myself, something no one ever did as well as Christ.

Are you saying that you are prepared to give up your neighbor's life to show love for your god?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 10:39 AM
(09-12-2014 12:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 11:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There are Bible statements that the highest principle is to love God. There are statements that the Law, which was meant to help govern and anchor human relations and society, is summed in the love thy neighbor principle.

That doesn't address the question in any way.

Quote:Again, there should be no conflict. If I have to give up my own life to show love for God, I shall. And I love myself! I am to love my neighbor AS myself, something no one ever did as well as Christ.

Are you saying that you are prepared to give up your neighbor's life to show love for your god?

A Christian is to love God above others or self, both subsets being people. Sorry I wasn't more clear before.

I'm prepared to give up my neighbor's life to show love for God. Can you imagine a circumstance, however, where I would give another's life rather than my own? I'd always attempt to substitute my life for theirs, and even an enemy's. My love for my enemies is part of my changed life from Jesus. If you can think of an example where I'd yield my neighbor's life, let me know, as I'm on record elsewhere that murderers are not Christians nor "witch drowners" etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2014, 11:09 AM
(12-12-2014 10:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm prepared to give up my neighbor's life to show love for God.

Thank you for being honest. I could not possibly come up with a better example of how theism warps perspective and turns otherwise decent people into monsters.

[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-12-2014, 11:19 AM
(12-12-2014 10:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm prepared to give up my neighbor's life to show love for God.

I quoted you three times, just so we're clear on what you just said.

(12-12-2014 11:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Thank you for being honest. I could not possibly come up with a better example of how theism warps perspective and turns otherwise decent people into monsters.

This pretty much sums it up and sums Q up.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Why did you deliberately ignore my next sentence:

"Can you imagine a circumstance, however, where I would give another's life rather than my own?"

Because it has to not be a murder. Now, I can imagine a circumstance. For example, I let one person die to save 1,000 other people. I can also imagine NOT doing so.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
12-12-2014, 01:19 PM
(12-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Why did you deliberately ignore my next sentence:

"Can you imagine a circumstance, however, where I would give another's life rather than my own?"

Because it has to not be a murder. Now, I can imagine a circumstance. For example, I let one person die to save 1,000 other people. I can also imagine NOT doing so.

Here come the apologetics...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-12-2014, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 02:01 PM by CleverUsername.)
(12-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "Can you imagine a circumstance, however, where I would give another's life rather than my own?"

When your God randomly decides you haven't sucked up to him enough and commands you to take some person close to you up to an altar and stab 'em to death to prove your mindless devotion?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
12-12-2014, 01:32 PM
(12-12-2014 12:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Why did you deliberately ignore my next sentence:

Because it is irrelevant. You have already admitted that given the need you would place "love of god" ahead of a fellow human being. Even if no such circumstance could exist, that statement is damning.

Quote:Because it has to not be a murder.

Are you trying to backpeddle now? Your earlier statement seems to be a much more honest assessment of your position.

Quote: Now, I can imagine a circumstance. For example, I let one person die to save 1,000 other people. I can also imagine NOT doing so.

And that's totally off the point.

Quote:I'm prepared to give up my neighbor's life to show love for God.

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(12-12-2014 01:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Because it is irrelevant. You have already admitted that given the need you would place "love of god" ahead of a fellow human being. Even if no such circumstance could exist, that statement is damning.

Are you trying to backpeddle now? Your earlier statement seems to be a much more honest assessment of your position.

Quote: Now, I can imagine a circumstance. For example, I let one person die to save 1,000 other people. I can also imagine NOT doing so.

And his willingness to give up someone's life for his god is based on zero evidence of this god. A real person standing in front of him will get sacrificed to his imaginary god as long as the request complies to his interpretation of what his imaginary god wants. He can join the heralded pantheon with peers such as Jim Jones, Marshall Applewhite, David Koresh, etc.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-12-2014, 12:04 PM
(12-12-2014 01:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

I don't retract that I love God above people. The first command is love God, the second, people. People are both trustworthy and untrustworthy and God is trustworthy. Abraham was tested in this very thing, supposing God could even raise Issac from the dead he was willing to slay his own child.

I'm not guilty of hate speech here because I'm an NT Christian and murder is forbidden to me along with many other OT things...

...We know atheists do not love God above people. Like Christians, they love some people more than others and at different times. The love for God above people provides an objective or absolute context to love if you will...