Good deeds done dirt cheap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2014, 03:38 PM
RE: Good deeds done dirt cheap
(16-12-2014 03:10 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 02:10 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm logically prepared to give up someone's life to show love for God. Why? Because I'd give up my own, too. And? So?

Just out of curiosity - how is this different form any suicide bomber/shooter?
Doc

"Give up" is not "take" or "remove" or "kill". The difference seems obvious to me.

And how it's different is as I've already stated, murder is forbidden to Christians. Even witnessing, the most important thing to communicate, is to be done by reasoning and in a loving manner, not coercion.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2014, 04:35 PM
(16-12-2014 03:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you have more than a word "fulfill" that demonstrates the Mosaic Law is for today--from the scriptures? I can provide entire chapters citing otherwise. I'm open to understanding the Bible differently, but I'll need some scriptures from you to do so.

What part of Jesus not coming to abolish the law do you not understand?

If it's not abolished, then... Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 04:42 PM
(16-12-2014 03:38 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "Give up" is not "take" or "remove" or "kill". The difference seems obvious to me.

And how it's different is as I've already stated, murder is forbidden to Christians. Even witnessing, the most important thing to communicate, is to be done by reasoning and in a loving manner, not coercion.

It's not obvious to me. Please define "give up".

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-12-2014, 06:11 PM
(15-12-2014 03:38 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The NT is meaningless without the OT. There is no such thing as a NT Christian - that's just wishful, cherry-picking, thinking.

The NT is meaningless even with the OT, since the OT doesn't make sense. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-12-2014, 10:27 AM
(16-12-2014 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  The NT is meaningless even with the OT, since the OT doesn't make sense. Drinking Beverage

Yup, I completely agree. And, of course it's all meaningless - NT and OT. But, from a Christian perspective, it makes no sense to be a "NT Christian" as though the OT has no relevance to their perspective.

17-12-2014, 11:12 AM
(16-12-2014 03:38 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 03:10 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Just out of curiosity - how is this different form any suicide bomber/shooter?
Doc

"Give up" is not "take" or "remove" or "kill". The difference seems obvious to me.

Yes, let's play word games as you backpeddle, it's what you're best at.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
17-12-2014, 03:14 PM
(16-12-2014 04:35 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 03:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you have more than a word "fulfill" that demonstrates the Mosaic Law is for today--from the scriptures? I can provide entire chapters citing otherwise. I'm open to understanding the Bible differently, but I'll need some scriptures from you to do so.

What part of Jesus not coming to abolish the law do you not understand?

If it's not abolished, then... Consider

The Law was not given by Jesus to His disciples. The Law was given to Jewish people who we also know never required peoples they subjugated to keep it unless individuals from those groups entered into the covenant after first undergoing rites of conversion. Name any Rabbi in history who said Gentiles have to keep the Law... this is a silly argument.

Even Jewish Christians in the New Testament covenant were not needing to keep the Law:

"So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God." - Romans 7:4

I hope this helps--a Christian has to keep requirements far above the Law. The Law says not to commit adultery, however, way short of physical adultery I am not to be emotionally intimate with a woman in a way that would diminish my love and care for my spouse. The Law says not to commit murder but a Christian is to love and pray for their enemies, etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-12-2014, 04:28 PM
(17-12-2014 03:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The Law was not given by Jesus to His disciples. The Law was given to Jewish people who we also know never required peoples they subjugated to keep it unless individuals from those groups entered into the covenant after first undergoing rites of conversion. Name any Rabbi in history who said Gentiles have to keep the Law... this is a silly argument.

Even Jewish Christians in the New Testament covenant were not needing to keep the Law:

"So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God." - Romans 7:4

I hope this helps--a Christian has to keep requirements far above the Law. The Law says not to commit adultery, however, way short of physical adultery I am not to be emotionally intimate with a woman in a way that would diminish my love and care for my spouse. The Law says not to commit murder but a Christian is to love and pray for their enemies, etc.

Are you saying your god replaced his own law? Consider
(Even though your Jesus, himself, told you he did not come to abolish it?)

The way I see it, Christianity may have added a few things to the old law, but the old law - seeing how it supposedly came from your god, himself - will always apply. How could it not? To claim it no longer applies is to state that your god changed what is morally right and wrong.

17-12-2014, 06:22 PM
I sometimes help out someone with a sign, not often but at least a couple times a year I will give a few dollars or buy a small bag of food and give it to someone holding out a sign somewhere.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-12-2014, 01:29 PM
(17-12-2014 04:28 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 03:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The Law was not given by Jesus to His disciples. The Law was given to Jewish people who we also know never required peoples they subjugated to keep it unless individuals from those groups entered into the covenant after first undergoing rites of conversion. Name any Rabbi in history who said Gentiles have to keep the Law... this is a silly argument.

Are you saying your god replaced his own law? Consider
(Even though your Jesus, himself, told you he did not come to abolish it?)

The way I see it, Christianity may have added a few things to the old law, but the old law - seeing how it supposedly came from your god, himself - will always apply. How could it not? To claim it no longer applies is to state that your god changed what is morally right and wrong.

I didn't say God replaced the Law. I'm pointing out one of a number of scriptural passages to indicate who the Thou is in all those "Thou shalts" and "Thou shalt nots". You're an atheist--the Law is not for you. How can you "take the name of THY Lord in vain" when he's not your Lord?

The Law was given to the Jewish people. Are you saying Moses offered it to Christian Gentiles 1,500 years before Christianity was a religion?