Good early Depression results.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2012, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 03:44 PM by kim.)
RE: Good early Depression results.
(31-12-2011 03:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 02:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  My doc checked my testosterone and thyroid levels and both seemed to be operating correctly. Thing is, to me, I don't feel very testosterony.

Get your numbers, fool. Depending on the lab the "normal" testosterone range from, say, LabCorps is like 241-850 ng/dl. That's the mean testosterone they've measured in their lab plus or minus 2 standard deviations. Don't matter if it was from some 16 yo young dumb and full of cum or a 96 yo who knew better. Testosterone replacement therapy alleviated a decades long depression in me.

Hey Giryly, Woof, Deep -or anyone- ever have experience with Maca root?
I would appreciate knowing if anyone has come into contact with it or it's use. I'm trying to find some personal feedback, other than whatever dubious testimony that can be found on the net.

Here's my experience with it:
In Feb 2011, I began seriously experiencing the effects of what I found out was a common hormone imbalance -nothing too serious. My doctor gave me some options and prefaced them by saying, "we might experiment with some things" and, "we might also go with some of the newer substances to see what they do".
Hmm... so, it's a crap shoot. Hooray.
I'm not one to consider herbal concoctions over trial perfected medical science, but I figured my problems to be dealt with were inconveniences and not a serious medical condition. I decided to first do some research and try my own "experiments"; at least take charge and exhaust some natural options before going with the prescribed unknown. Frankly, I'd probably go to any doctor in any other city and do what they suggest -it's just the ones here I am a bit wary of. Small town; what can I say.

After reading countless medical papers on hormones, hormone replacement, cause/effect of different therapies, I found a few natural substances, commonly used with histories to back up their use. I came away with a very full brain and solid options to check out. One option with a lot of promising background work seemed the most logical, and that was Maca root.

I have a huge file but here are a few of the more reader-friendly, useful links:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18801111
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16528448
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupp...a/maca.htm
http://www.rain-tree.com/maca.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidium_meyenii

Generally, I spent much of my research verifying the chemical, hormonal, nutritional and phytochemical make up of this substance and found it most closely resembles a beet or turnip. It seems to produce a balancing effect on hormone levels in double blind trials in both male and female subjects. Studies were conducted on depression related issues for selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-induced sexual dysfunction, and were found to be effective.
_ _ _ _ _
Anyway, my personal experience with the Maca root substance: pretty fucking OK.
It was cheap -I got a pound of it in powder form, on ebay for $12 or $15. (I still have some left)
The downside issue is proper dosage; the powder is highly concentrated and I found out within 3 days that it's best to go with half a measured teaspoon once a day. Unless you have the time to have sex or masturbate your life away; luckily, I have a part time job and quickly got the dosage (and myself) under control - and yes, I laugh my ass off about it. But hey, this stuff took care of the side effects my imbalance quickly (4-5 months) and got my numbers back on track. I don't even use it anymore; I haven't taken any for 3 months. (However, who knows; it is possible that the initial 5 day onslaught of massive dosing primed my hormonal pump, and backing off just simulated a tapering-off effect. Something to consider.)
My personal findings did correspond with double blind trials and there too, dosage issues were found, most likely do to processing and unpredictable preparation of powder concentrates. The preparation process from bare root to powder is lengthy but can be found online. Since it is a "nutritional supplement", there is no regulation of potency or dosage requirements. It's main cultural and nutritional history is as a food staple with reputedly aphrodisiac properties.
Three weeks ago (9 months since imbalance was diagnosed), I went back for lab work to check my hormone levels, and my doctor advised that my numbers have normalized. I let her know what I had done and she seemed fairly impressed -or- maybe she was just humoring me. I was advised to come back in Feb for another complete work up, but for now given a positive health record; no therapy advised.
After almost a year of hot flashes, emotional fluctuation, depression (which I've never had previously), physical issues, and general irritability(apathetic, asshole, and that's just the As); I feel I'm getting back to "normal". Upon diagnosis, I was advised that therapy courses usually continue into a 4th year.
So, I've had an interesting year. Hormones; what a fucking roller coaster!

Since this thread has been discussing depression and related hormone therapy, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with or even encountered this substance.
My natural curiosity wants to know if my hormone levels would have naturally normalized on their own within 9 months, making any correlation between the consumption of this crap and hormone stabilization just coincidental.
Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Kim, thanks for sharing a bit of your research and experience. It looks like I have some checking of my own to do. Thanks for the jump start on the links. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
No prob and good luck!
The site for the top 2 links is quite good, accurate, scholarly, and as I said, user friendly -easy to comprehend if you are somewhat familiar with your subject matter -very helpful in the different areas I had to cover.

The one important thing I did find out is, when it comes to either depression or hormonal issues -everyone is different - hence, the crap shoot.
I agree with Girly -get with your Doc and get a perspective on your numbers... but also pay close attention to how you felt "before" and take age advancement into consideration as well. So many factors involved -UGH.

Wink I won't claim wiser, but I like being older. However, wow- the trade offs can be a bitch!

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
(01-01-2012 06:33 PM)kim Wrote:  No prob and good luck!
The site for the top 2 links is quite good, accurate, scholarly, and as I said, user friendly -easy to comprehend if you are somewhat familiar with your subject matter -very helpful in the different areas I had to cover.

The one important thing I did find out is, when it comes to either depression or hormonal issues -everyone is different - hence, the crap shoot.
I agree with Girly -get with your Doc and get a perspective on your numbers... but also pay close attention to how you felt "before" and take age advancement into consideration as well. So many factors involved -UGH.

Wink I won't claim wiser, but I like being older. However, wow- the trade offs can be a bitch!

Amen, Sister. Cool

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
(01-01-2012 03:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 03:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 02:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  My doc checked my testosterone and thyroid levels and both seemed to be operating correctly. Thing is, to me, I don't feel very testosterony.

Get your numbers, fool. Depending on the lab the "normal" testosterone range from, say, LabCorps is like 241-850 ng/dl. That's the mean testosterone they've measured in their lab plus or minus 2 standard deviations. Don't matter if it was from some 16 yo young dumb and full of cum or a 96 yo who knew better. Testosterone replacement therapy alleviated a decades long depression in me.

Hey Giryly, Woof, Deep -or anyone- ever have experience with Maca root?
I would appreciate knowing if anyone has come into contact with it or it's use. I'm trying to find some personal feedback, other than whatever dubious testimony that can be found on the net.

Here's my experience with it:
In Feb 2011, I began seriously experiencing the effects of what I found out was a common hormone imbalance -nothing too serious. My doctor gave me some options and prefaced them by saying, "we might experiment with some things" and, "we might also go with some of the newer substances to see what they do".
Hmm... so, it's a crap shoot. Hooray.
I'm not one to consider herbal concoctions over trial perfected medical science, but I figured my problems to be dealt with were inconveniences and not a serious medical condition. I decided to first do some research and try my own "experiments"; at least take charge and exhaust some natural options before going with the prescribed unknown. Frankly, I'd probably go to any doctor in any other city and do what they suggest -it's just the ones here I am a bit wary of. Small town; what can I say.

After reading countless medical papers on hormones, hormone replacement, cause/effect of different therapies, I found a few natural substances, commonly used with histories to back up their use. I came away with a very full brain and solid options to check out. One option with a lot of promising background work seemed the most logical, and that was Maca root.

I have a huge file but here are a few of the more reader-friendly, useful links:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18801111
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16528448
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupp...a/maca.htm
http://www.rain-tree.com/maca.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidium_meyenii

Generally, I spent much of my research verifying the chemical, hormonal, nutritional and phytochemical make up of this substance and found it most closely resembles a beet or turnip. It seems to produce a balancing effect on hormone levels in double blind trials in both male and female subjects. Studies were conducted on depression related issues for selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-induced sexual dysfunction, and were found to be effective.
_ _ _ _ _
Anyway, my personal experience with the Maca root substance: pretty fucking OK.
It was cheap -I got a pound of it in powder form, on ebay for $12 or $15. (I still have some left)
The downside issue is proper dosage; the powder is highly concentrated and I found out within 3 days that it's best to go with half a measured teaspoon once a day. Unless you have the time to have sex or masturbate your life away; luckily, I have a part time job and quickly got the dosage (and myself) under control - and yes, I laugh my ass off about it. But hey, this stuff took care of the side effects my imbalance quickly (4-5 months) and got my numbers back on track. I don't even use it anymore; I haven't taken any for 3 months. (However, who knows; it is possible that the initial 5 day onslaught of massive dosing primed my hormonal pump, and backing off just simulated a tapering-off effect. Something to consider.)
My personal findings did correspond with double blind trials and there too, dosage issues were found, most likely do to processing and unpredictable preparation of powder concentrates. The preparation process from bare root to powder is lengthy but can be found online. Since it is a "nutritional supplement", there is no regulation of potency or dosage requirements. It's main cultural and nutritional history is as a food staple with reputedly aphrodisiac properties.
Three weeks ago (9 months since imbalance was diagnosed), I went back for lab work to check my hormone levels, and my doctor advised that my numbers have normalized. I let her know what I had done and she seemed fairly impressed -or- maybe she was just humoring me. I was advised to come back in Feb for another complete work up, but for now given a positive health record; no therapy advised.
After almost a year of hot flashes, emotional fluctuation, depression (which I've never had previously), physical issues, and general irritability(apathetic, asshole, and that's just the As); I feel I'm getting back to "normal". Upon diagnosis, I was advised that therapy courses usually continue into a 4th year.
So, I've had an interesting year. Hormones; what a fucking roller coaster!

Since this thread has been discussing depression and related hormone therapy, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with or even encountered this substance.
My natural curiosity wants to know if my hormone levels would have naturally normalized on their own within 9 months, making any correlation between the consumption of this crap and hormone stabilization just coincidental.
Shy

Never heard of Maca root in Australia

The herbal remdy St John's wort is supposed to give some peeps a boost.
Are herbal remedies tested much in the U.S?.
Most prescribed anti-depressants have varying degrees of side effects, at least initially, and it may be a good idea to get regulat liver tests.

Re hormone stabilization and the source of such, you would need to look at all other variables over the period probably relevant to any corerrelation. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spanish cave of early Neaderthal bones Bucky Ball 9 125 20-06-2014 06:18 AM
Last Post: Anna
  Do you guys have any good free zoology papers I can read. Metazoa Zeke 2 65 19-06-2014 01:25 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  I love simple product ideas that can impact 3rd world counties for the good Bows and Arrows 8 183 28-05-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  And Now the Good News #83: 5/6/2014 EvolutionKills 2 96 13-05-2014 07:35 AM
  And Now the Good News #84: 5/13/2014 EvolutionKills 0 60 13-05-2014 07:34 AM
  And Now the Good News #82: 4/29/2014 EvolutionKills 0 54 29-04-2014 09:13 AM
  Is American Evolution Education Good Enough? (Teachers and Professors Only Please) carasaurus_wres 2 78 25-04-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: jaguar3030