Good friend for 24 yrs now Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2016 01:14 AM by dirtstar.)
Good friend for 24 yrs now Christian
For lack of a better thread subject I went with 'Good friend for 24 yrs now Christian' but he's actually been 'going Christian' for a good 10 yrs now since he got married.

Were drifting apart. It sucks because he once was pretty liberal and fancy free but now struggles with control and angst. His wife pretty much pushed him to start going to church years ago. He has two kids now starting to get into their early teens and he seems to get worse every year. This guy went from a single partying animal that seemed to enjoy life and the endless possibilities to a guy who thinks all of youth is going to shit and can't quit saying God is good every chance he gets. He went from respecting all living things to going out by himself with a bow and arrow at night to hide in a field somewhere to shoot himself a deer. I find it odd to watch this transformation of a guy who was the first I knew to get his tongue pierced simply so he can perform oral pleasure on his girlfriend to this conservative grumpy dickhead who thinks sporting piercings now is some cry for help.

We've pretty much halted all activities we used to do which required leaving the house. The only thing we still do is play online which is exhausting given the amount of cussing, judging, and preaching he does to other players. No one will ever convince me he's in a higher moral state of mind than ever. In fact I think he's closer to bashing someone's head in for no reason than ever before not that he would do that but you get my point. Religion has instilled fear into him not comfort. It has made him less kind towards animals (sorry if killing is your thing). It has somehow caused him to be resentful. I wonder sometimes if he beats his kids in order to not spare the rod and spoil the child or whatever. He seems unhappy basically.

This thread isn't to ask for advice, as I said we don't really hang out much anymore. I just wanted to tell a story of a pair of once similar souls who after 24 yrs have managed to end up on complete opposite sides of reality despite given the same start and very similar scenarios w/marrying and having two kids. I chose to remain secular and raise my children in a secular environment. He chose to become a Christian and raise his children in a religious environment.

I don't see where his quality of life has improved since his transformation to Christianity despite all the promises of comfort and hope religion supposedly gives it's believers. From here he just looks depressed anymore. I wonder if he realizes I notice this horrible change in him when he preaches to me about the benefits of finding God?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2017, 06:58 PM
RE: Good friend for 24 yrs now Christian
Sorry to hear this. And no, he probably doesn't realize anything because he gets validation (more indoctrination) every Sunday.
[+] 1 user Likes SkeptiCal's post
01-01-2017, 07:26 PM
I am a vegetarian so I totally understand why the random killing of animals really bothers you Sad

This happened to a distant relative of mine - he was the wild, party animal guy who loved to travel in his 20s/30s/somewhat 40s...
Then he moved to VERY rural Maine and became this caveman hunter, found jeebus and discovered he has a real hate for liberals (especially Obama). I am thankful for the unfollow feature on Facebook.

Not much can be done, I suppose. It sucks to witness it though Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
01-01-2017, 07:46 PM
It sucks to realize a person you've known for years, you no longer actually feel you know.

I'm going through it now with some longtime "friends".

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-01-2017, 08:55 PM
In life, people come and go. Let him go.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-01-2017, 10:22 PM
(01-01-2017 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It sucks to realize a person you've known for years, you no longer actually feel you know.

Is this where people start acting out against other family members because they don't have to respect the person who is now gone? I'm not meaning to pry, but I've seen where a person can be a nucleus for a family, and when they die, bickering and stealing their possessions starts before the will is even read. Dodgy
02-01-2017, 01:18 PM
(01-01-2017 10:22 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It sucks to realize a person you've known for years, you no longer actually feel you know.

Is this where people start acting out against other family members because they don't have to respect the person who is now gone? I'm not meaning to pry, but I've seen where a person can be a nucleus for a family, and when they die, bickering and stealing their possessions starts before the will is even read. Dodgy

No, I wasn't talking about that. Smile

I've noticed lately people I thought I knew (we became friends decades ago) have slowly changed. We used to share similar values, but lately they're becoming more myopic. They're posting things like "Thank god" and followed it up with, "I'm allowed to say that." As if someone has told them not to? One who says they "support gays". which I guess to them means as long as they stay in the closet, wrote recently they hope SCOTUS repeals all the gay marriage laws.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-01-2017, 02:50 PM
(01-01-2017 07:26 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ... he moved to VERY rural Maine and became this caveman hunter, found jeebus and discovered he has a real hate for liberals (especially Obama). I am thankful for the unfollow feature on Facebook.

Not much can be done, I suppose. It sucks to witness it though Sad

Hey! I live in very rural Maine.
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
02-01-2017, 06:12 PM
It wasn't a comment on where he lives, more a comment on his sudden and pretty extreme change of location, character and temperament.

And I would love to move to very rural Vermont and live on a large farm, so no judgement from me Smile Although I am not sure about dealing w/ that much snow...

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
02-01-2017, 07:42 PM
(02-01-2017 06:12 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  It wasn't a comment on where he lives, more a comment on his sudden and pretty extreme change of location, character and temperament.

And I would love to move to very rural Vermont and live on a large farm, so no judgement from me Smile Although I am not sure about dealing w/ that much snow...

I was just joshin' with you, my friend. BTW, Stephen King lives here too. Living in very rural Maine must do something to your outlook on life.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post