Good grief glasses are expensive!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Good grief glasses are expensive!
Every year the pain of buying new glasses gets worse and worse, even with insurance.

Of course I could go for a super cheap frame but by the time I get progressive and transition lenses, I've already had quite the reaming. And since I can only manage without my glasses (while awake) is when watching TV it's not like they are something I can skip. But damn! Nearly $700.00 dollars gone...the only thing that makes me feel better is that I will be using then pretty much all day, every day.

Guess it will be PBJ and water for a while...UGH! Weeping

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Good grief glasses are expensive!
One word: Costco. Never spent more than $200 on glasses there. I don't think you can spend more than $200 on glasses there. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
16-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Ive got a lazy left eye and had to wear glasses growing up. My parents were on benefits so when it went to having my eyes checked out and choosing new glasses I could only choose from a certain range.

None of them ever seemed to suit the shape of my face and all of them were shitty styles so I allways had to choose the best of the worst Weeping

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Just don't sit on them... like I did! Weeping

After the tears, that was probably the happiest accident ever...

My super-chic/ super-expensive designer glasses from my doctor, got replaced by a $200 pair I found at Ace Hardware -and they were nearly identical!!! Tongue

I always take my prescription somewhere else... my doctor has some slick shit for sure but damn... at $400 a frame, at least? That's ridiculous.
That's a round trip ticket to anywhere in the continental US!! Blink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
16-02-2013, 02:42 PM
If I didn't have such a screwed up prescription it would be easier. But each eye needs something different so off the shelf glasses might help one eye but would make the other one much worse...I've tried that. My eyes are so different that I have never had any depth perception without glasses. At one time my distance vision was crap, now it's nearly perfect but my near vision is really bad.

A few years ago, I gave up some of the things I love to do, like sewing, because I couldn't find a doctor who could get the prescription right. I thought I would never be able to do any more sewing. Then I found the eye doctor I see here and the first time around, I was able to sew again, she took the time to tweak everything just right.

There is hereditary blindness in my family, I am glad to have missed that gene makeup, but I still have trouble getting my vision corrected just right. Part of the reason I don't go for laser surgery...I don't want to take any chances of goofing up what I have.

It is what it is...if I want to see...it costs me plenty.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-02-2013, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 02:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
There can be only one style for frames. This one wins hands down, bitches. Sturdy, cheap, and goddam fucking sexy. Big Grin

[Image: glasses.jpg]

(16-02-2013 02:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If I didn't have such a screwed up prescription it would be easier. But each eye needs something different so off the shelf glasses might help one eye but would make the other one much worse...

Costco can handle whatever script you got. For about $200. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2013, 02:46 PM
You know what else is ridiculous? Obviously due to the way they make the lenses nowadays, whenever I'm wearing glasses and not contacts, all objects that are in moderate to bright light, are surrounded by a bright blue and a bright yellow line (blue on top, yellow on the bottom of the object; or blue on the left side and yellow on the right one). Gets mildly to moderately annoying, depending on thickness and brightness of lines. Also, opticians and ophthalmologists seem to think I'm insane (well, I may be, but not because of this).

On the upside, it would appear that I've seen the light. Two of them actually. Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
16-02-2013, 02:46 PM
(16-02-2013 01:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Every year the pain of buying new glasses gets worse and worse, even with insurance.

Of course I could go for a super cheap frame but by the time I get progressive and transition lenses, I've already had quite the reaming. And since I can only manage without my glasses (while awake) is when watching TV it's not like they are something I can skip. But damn! Nearly $700.00 dollars gone...the only thing that makes me feel better is that I will be using then pretty much all day, every day.

Guess it will be PBJ and water for a while...UGH! Weeping

You're telling me... My last pair of classes cost $500 something, my current, 450 something, the next will probably cost even more than both and I am going to need new glasses every year. in fact, I'm starting to need new ones now.... stupid degenerative myopia....

What's wrong with your eyes, if I may ask?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
16-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Yes... nothing says walk of shame like Ray-ban Wayfarers. Wink
[Image: ray_ban_wayfarer_audrey_hepburn.jpg]

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
16-02-2013, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 03:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-02-2013 02:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You're telling me... My last pair of classes cost $500 something, my current, 450 something, the next will probably cost even more than both and I am going to need new glasses every year. in fact, I'm starting to need new ones now.... stupid degenerative myopia....

What's wrong with your eyes, if I may ask?

Myopic diopter of -9 in my left eye and -10 in my right eye. Been there since I was a kid. Dunno why.