Good money after bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Good money after bad
This is not a big problem but I would appreciate some input.

We own one rental house. Some time in early December the ex boy friend of our tenant's daughter arrived at the house and caused a disturbance. He tried to kidnap the girl. Cops were called and he fled. During the disturbance he broke the glass in the front door. My cost to repair it was $352.91.

Yesterday I found that the guy is in jail. My tenant says it was over this incident. I was thinking of trying to get the court to order restitution. So I go down to the court house and get the runaround from everyone. ("We can't give legal advice.") I wind up in the office of the Small Claims Court where I'm told I need to ...
  • Pay a $70 filing fee.
  • Fill out a form describing my case.
  • Give them his name.
  • Give them his current address.
I don't know his name.
I don't know his address.

So I go down to the police station. They should have all this on their records. Right? Wrong! No record of anything on that date at that address. They finally find his name. It's Billy Bob Somethingorother. As for his address, he's apparently homeless.

Anyway, I'm undecided as to whether to pursue that matter. The $70 filing fee is probably good money after bad. I would definitely win the case but I don't think there's any chance of my ever collecting. The only thing I would ever get out of it is just the satisfaction having the court confirm that he owes me.

There's another consideration. If I proceed then I'm going up against a guy with a history of violence who would probably hold a grudge. If I use that as a reason not to proceed, isn't that cowardice?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
07-01-2016, 07:40 AM
RE: Good money after bad
My lawyer once told me that suing poor people is a waste of time.

You can win a judgement, and still never collect a nickle...

You should count yourself lucky.

A good friend of mine went in on an "investment" with a mutual friend of ours. They bought a house in one of the less desirable parts of town.

They fixed it up, got renters.

Renters paid 1st, last and a damage deposit --- and never paid another nickle. Three months later they started eviction.

A month or so later my buddy got a call from the police - in the middle of the winter. There was a problem at the house.

The "renters" had fled -- after breaking out a half dozen windows and turning off the furnace. They had never gotten garbage service, and were simply putting all the garbage in the basement in paper bags. (some people live like swine).... The pipes had froze, burst - then filled the basement with water.. The garbage was floating out the house, into the neighbor's yard (who called the cops)..

By the time they cleaned everything up, put in a new furnace and fixed all the broken pipes. They put the house on the market and sold it....

His "profit"??? Almost 2000 bucks..

In the hole.

If you've got reliable renters who don't destroy the place and pay regularly --- suck it up.... You're doing pretty damned good.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-01-2016, 07:59 AM
(07-01-2016 07:27 AM)f stop Wrote:  This is not a big problem but I would appreciate some input.

We own one rental house. Some time in early December the ex boy friend of our tenant's daughter arrived at the house and caused a disturbance. He tried to kidnap the girl. Cops were called and he fled. During the disturbance he broke the glass in the front door. My cost to repair it was $352.91.

Yesterday I found that the guy is in jail. My tenant says it was over this incident. I was thinking of trying to get the court to order restitution. So I go down to the court house and get the runaround from everyone. ("We can't give legal advice.") I wind up in the office of the Small Claims Court where I'm told I need to ...
  • Pay a $70 filing fee.
  • Give them his name.
I don't know his name.

So I go down to the police station. They should have all this on their records. Right? Wrong! No record of anything on that date at that address. They finally find his name. It's Billy Bob Somethingorother. As for his address, he's apparently homeless.

Anyway, I'm undecided as to whether to pursue that matter. The $70 filing fee is probably good money after bad. I would definitely win the case but I don't think there's any chance of my ever collecting. The only thing I would ever get out of it is just the satisfaction having the court confirm that he owes me.

There's another consideration. If I proceed then I'm going up against a guy with a history of violence who would probably hold a grudge. If I use that as a reason not to proceed, isn't that cowardice?

I have won two small claims court cases in my life. One against a company and they gave me a check as the judge made his ruling, the other against an illegal alien who had no car insurance and damaged my car to the tune of less than $1000. I never did get that money, so my advise is to shrug your shoulders and let it go. Insurance for the window?
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
07-01-2016, 08:12 AM
(07-01-2016 07:27 AM)f stop Wrote:  This is not a big problem but I would appreciate some input.

• Pay a $70 filing fee.
  • Give them his name.
I don't know his name.

Judge Judy!! She gets shit done
07-01-2016, 08:15 AM
(07-01-2016 08:12 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  

• Pay a $70 filing fee.
  • Give them his name.
I don't know his name.

Judge Judy!! She gets shit done

If anyone actually believes that Judge Judy is more than just a TV show they may as well believe in JC and company! I have a friend who was paid to play an episode on Judge Judy!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
07-01-2016, 08:19 AM
(07-01-2016 07:27 AM)f stop Wrote:  There's another consideration. If I proceed then I'm going up against a guy with a history of violence who would probably hold a grudge. If I use that as a reason not to proceed, isn't that cowardice?

No, it's just using common sense.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Do everything you can to provoke him within the bounds of the law. When he returns for revenge, kill him in self defense. Tongue

'Murican Canadian
07-01-2016, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 09:53 AM by jennybee.)

• Pay a $70 filing fee.
  • Give them his name.
I don't know his name.

I don't think it's cowardice to let things be when you are dealing with someone who has proven violent tendencies and may not be all there mentally. I would not pursue this matter over $350. Your safety and your family's safety is way more important than than any amount of money. Why not take the $350 out of the tenant's security deposit? I know it wasn't her fault, but if I had a tenant who had party for example, and then a friend of theirs destroyed something in the house, I would take that out of the tenant's security deposit. While the tenant is living in the house they are responsible for damage (caused by them/friends/pets) to the property.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-01-2016, 10:15 AM
(07-01-2016 08:15 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 08:12 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  Judge Judy!! She gets shit done

If anyone actually believes that Judge Judy is more than just a TV show they may as well believe in JC and company! I have a friend who was paid to play an episode on Judge Judy!

I will have you know I have evidence that Judith Chalmers exists, how very dare you.
07-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Let it go.

(notice how I didn't post that video)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.