Good money after bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
RE: Good money after bad
I don't know how the US tax system works, but couldn't you claim it as an expense on your taxes?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
07-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Withhold it from the security deposit or eat it.
07-01-2016, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't pursue him for anything.

If it was me, I would ask the tenants to contribute to the cost of repairs. Their relationship with him was a contributing factor in the damaging of your property. If they can't or won't, I'd let it slide but I'd certainly ask. You may want to see what is covered by the rental laws in your state and whatever insurance you and your tenants have.

Suing him however will get you nothing. He has nothing to take.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
07-01-2016, 12:34 PM
(07-01-2016 11:57 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I don't know how the US tax system works, but couldn't you claim it as an expense on your taxes?

Yes, it would be a claimed expense however, a claimed expense is not like a refund of the expense cost. It is simply an amount that lowers your taxable income. So when you have say a refund of $500.00 coming back and you claim a $200.00 expense your refund does not become $700.00. You expense lowers you taxable income and allows you a tiny bit more percentage of the overall tax.

His expense at $352 might only net him another $20 in actual dollars credit.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
07-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Get him to pay with a kidney or something.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-01-2016, 01:26 PM
There's always S3..

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-01-2016, 02:36 AM
(07-01-2016 07:59 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Insurance for the window?
Yes, but $1000 deductible.Weeping

Sapere aude
08-01-2016, 02:43 AM
(07-01-2016 12:34 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  His expense at $352 might only net him another $20 in actual dollars credit.
I think I'm in the 20% bracket so it would net me about $70.

Sapere aude
08-01-2016, 09:15 AM
I filed on a client that didn't pay. Cost me $80, got me a paper that said I'm right, and got her a note on her credit report. She'll have bad credit until she pays - and I'm not holding my breath on that. Or that she even cares.

If you want ~some~ revenge, go ahead and file. I don't think I'd bother doing it again.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Pay it and write it off as a business expense. Just your time to work the system is worth more than what you would recover and insurance is not an option (deductible). The circumstances are irrelevant. Whether you recover the costs from your tenants damage deposit is up to you and is primarily a customer service vs. cost of doing business decision. There is where the circumstances "could" matter. I'd probably not put it on her this time. If it becomes a pattern, though, you have to hold the tenant liable or else you compromise your ability to conduct business.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart