Good money after bad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2016, 10:06 AM
RE: Good money after bad
Also, I forgot to mention, any time someone trespasses (i.e., they were not invited by you or your tenant) on your property and cause intentional damage (i.e., vandalism), take pictures and file a police report. In this case, the police presumably charged him for kidnapping or assault or whatever, but it is up to you to press charges for damaging your property. Even if you plan to do absolutely nothing about any particular event, always keep a personal documentation of what happened (don't forget dates/times, what you saw and said to the tenant and police, etc.), a copy of the police report, any pictures, and any invoices for repair costs on file. It is up to you to keep these records. You will need them to support your expense write-off and you may (depending on the laws in your area) need them to defend your right to collect from the damage deposit or to support an eviction proceeding should that become necessary later on. However, keeping detailed records, even if is just your write-up of what happened, is crucial to reducing your liability and winning any legal action you have to take as a business entity.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
08-01-2016, 10:27 AM
The tenant owes the repair cost to you, with no doubt. You can keep the damage deposit. I would not pursue the other guy.
08-01-2016, 12:22 PM
(08-01-2016 10:27 AM)skyking Wrote:  The tenant owes the repair cost to you, with no doubt. You can keep the damage deposit. I would not pursue the other guy.

That's really questionable. They did have a relationship but that doesn't mean he was invited that time. If he was committing a crime (try to kidnap her) then it could be seen both ways, they knew him but when he was banned from seeing her he no longer had permission to be there and should be treated like any stranger that committed a crime on the property. Kind of iffy.

Which is why I stated earlier that he could ask for the tenant to contribute but not sure the rental laws would support him forcing her to.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]