Good news! We can retire the word atheism by 2038!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Good news! We can retire the word atheism by 2038!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...igion-2038

According thesis (mentioned in the article above) religious doctrine will go the way of the horse buggy by the year 2038. Part of me thinks that this is possible due to the exponential growth of technology (I doubt that artificial intelligence will have any use for tribal myths that promote double think) but I'm also simultaneously skeptical because in 2012 it's fairly clear that we are pretty far away from living on an Earth that's devoid of religious and superstitious belief.

Thoughts?

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
25-04-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: Good news! We can retire the word atheism by 2038!
[Image: Black+_1335d36837e789e29376517698eafa71.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
26-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I doubt we will ever be devoid of such absurd beliefs altogether.
26-04-2012, 01:55 AM
As a 'word',in any strong sense, atheism lacks a lot of clarity...........i don't see it going by 38, and certainly not the oblique concept of God Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
26-04-2012, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2012 02:48 PM by Thomas.)
Christianity is dying. The recent surge has been part of that process, not a return to the dark ages.
The default position will be non-religious in the industrialized world.
Christianity will be at best a 15% population by three more generations.
Look at the number of non-religious college age versus the older generations, then imagine what their grandkids will think.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
26-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Hopefully. Might be able to get on with it and do something productive with ourselves.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
26-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Isn't Islam spreading faster than any other religion or non-religion?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-04-2012, 07:52 AM
(26-04-2012 07:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Isn't Islam spreading faster than any other religion or non-religion?
Does AIDS count as a religion or non-religion?

[Image: opforum1.png]
26-04-2012, 07:55 AM
(26-04-2012 07:52 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 07:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Isn't Islam spreading faster than any other religion or non-religion?
Does AIDS count as a religion or non-religion?
Depends. Are we basing this just off the destruction that it's spread causes? Big Grin In that case I'd go with religion as opposed to non religion.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
26-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Interesting, but I tend to look sideways at any "prediction" especially concerning human behavior. The human factor provides a certain amount of unpredictability right up front, and then... "time" has it's unpredictable effect.

I do think that our technology will certainly help to homogenize particular social and behavioral "norms", but we all know; nature always finds a way. Just look at the modern day druids; a romanticized version of a wiped out cult! They have no actual cultural connection to the original druids, of which very little or next to nothing is known, but they have complete status as a legitimate "religion".

It seems that when something "dies out", there either comes a period when it's celebrated, while probably not completely practiced, or someone tries to revive it, or it's revisited in some historical way. Just yesterday, I read that a publisher in Bavaria is reprinting Mein Kampf in Germany for the first time since 1945. Shit, I just looked this up and my Google search gave me several international articles about the republishing, and two US Neo-Nazi sites!

My point; I don't think anything, good or bad, is ever really done. I'm not sure humans will ever really be decided about what they want to be when they grow up... too busy evolving for anything to stay put for very long. Blink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post