Good news! We can retire the word atheism by 2038!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 07:30 PM
RE: Good news! We can retire the word atheism by 2038!
Hey, that means we'll become like the Tollans:

[Image: th_BEFOREREASONANDSCIENCE.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 07:44 PM
(26-04-2012 07:30 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  Hey, that means we'll become like the Tollans:

[Image: th_BEFOREREASONANDSCIENCE.jpg]
Fuck those tollan, after all the help they didn't give Stargate command anything!
26-04-2012, 08:27 PM
(26-04-2012 05:41 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 03:16 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Studies show that college education does not affect a student's religious position, as many on the religious right claim.
What is actually happening is that they are less religious when they get there. In the US about 25% claim to be less interested in religion than their parents. They make the switch over to secular and left leaning viewpoints, as they were going in that direction to start with.
The ones who are religious typically ignore the atheist positions of their professors.
If you consider that at best 18% of all Americans call themselves non-religious, 25% of the college age group says they are on a non-religious path, the projection is that the 25% becomes 50% in a generation, then 75% in the next. The trend will snowball. Peer pressure will take over at critical mass. If you're religious in 2050 you will not be thought of very highly. That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.

We will still be stupid, just not Christians.
(26-04-2012 03:16 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Is the ridding of religion by 2038 seen to include the eastern religions, as well. along with the thousand of cults and New Age psycho babble.
(26-04-2012 03:16 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I see God, not as impossible but the concepts espoused by all of the aforementioned creeds as the antithesis, in the main, to the possibility of higher cosmic critters, to whom we just might, in some bizarre way be linked.
The eastern religions, such as Buddhism, will stay around as they make no divinity claims and speak mostly of human spirituality. We will be spiritual people, but without gods. The Buddhist got there 2000 years before the western world. A great read is "The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality", by Comte-Sponville. The last chapter he argues atheist spiritualism as very similar to Buddhism.
I'm going to pop for a class on eastern philosophy this fall. I've got an atheist philosopher friend who covers Zen Buddhism as an atheist.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
26-04-2012, 10:40 PM
(26-04-2012 08:27 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 05:41 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
The eastern religions, such as Buddhism, will stay around as they make no divinity claims and speak mostly of human spirituality. We will be spiritual people, but without gods. The Buddhist got there 2000 years before the western world. A great read is "The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality", by Comte-Sponville. The last chapter he argues atheist spiritualism as very similar to Buddhism.
I'm going to pop for a class on eastern philosophy this fall. I've got an atheist philosopher friend who covers Zen Buddhism as an atheist.
I can appreciate your affinity towards Eastern philosophy (it was key part of my personal journey) and while I agree that certain schools of Eastern thought like Advaitism are fairly devoid of superstitious doctrine, I can assure you that Eastern religions (which are the basis for the philosophical counterparts) run rampant with superstitious doctrine (this includes Buddhism).

They are generally more benign than evangelical doctrines but still subtly discourage skepticism and adherence to the scientific method of inquiry.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 3 users Like lightninlives's post