Good reads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Good reads
If you want to know pretty much everything about the New Testament and early Christianity, and how the bible certainly is not the inerrant word of God, you should read Misquoting Jesus and Jesus Interrupted, both by Bart Ehrman. Ehrman is a former evangelical minister turned agnostic.
Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2010, 11:31 AM

RE: Good reads
I'll second this. I'm trying to get my brother, a Roamin' Catholic, to take a look as he's displaying a new and sudden interest in reading the bible.
21-07-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm currently reading Indifel[ by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It's very good, and provides a perspective on deconversion that I don't think that many atheists in the West necessarily are familiar with. I would highly recommend it.
21-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I generally don't read much on the topic of atheism. The only thing I've read is Atheism: The Case Against God, and that I've only read the first chapter of. Never really saw the point of reading anything else.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2010, 03:58 AM

I would encourage everyone to read the bible. I genuinely believe that the biggest problem with the christian community is that most of them have never ACTUALLY read that thing! Most don't know about the rape of Lott by his daughters, the cursing of a small plant by Jesus, or the existence of giants and unicorns in the bible, etc, etc.... They are usually pretty incredulous and disbelieving when I mention it lol

Books which I found really good in this area were the usual Four Horsemen tomes, but also books my Steven Pinker (particularly the "Blank Slate"). Another book which was very interesting was called "God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism" by Jonathan Kirsch.
22-07-2010, 07:27 AM

(21-07-2010 04:50 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I generally don't read much on the topic of atheism. The only thing I've read is Atheism: The Case Against God, and that I've only read the first chapter of. Never really saw the point of reading anything else.

I just wanted to point out that the Ehrman books are NOT atheist texts. In fact he points out that what he is writing about are subjects that almost every seminary student is taught about the Bible in seminary school. It is very possible to be Christian with an interpretation of the Bilble based in reality. Ehrman is an Agnostic, but he points out that he was a Christian for a very long time knowing the truth about the Bible, and it was "other" stuff that drove his agnostisism. The troubling thing to him and I may add to me is that despite these seminarians being taught this information, 90% of them completely ignore it when they become ordained and revert to teaching the Bible as unerrant.

I'll just add that as a teen growing up Catholic I had very little interest in the priests homilies when they were just blah blah blahing about what Gom "meant". However for a five year period (that's how long they allow non-pastor priests to stay with one church) we had a priest that changed my perspective because he gave homilies explaining who was actually writing the scripture he just read and what their historic perspective was. He would try and explain the time period and what the author was trying to convey to the audience of that day, and I was ate the stuff up. My faith wasn't shaken it was kindled.

Anyway Ehrman's books are very very interesting from an educational standpoint IMO not strictly a atheist POV.