Good reads?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 10:19 AM
RE: Good reads?
(20-01-2015 09:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 09:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  The God Delusion is one of few books I've read in a long time that wasn't smut, romance, or medical.

Moms, have you read The Dominant, The Submissive, and The Training?
They were written under the screenname tarasueme.
Fuuuuuck me those were hot.

They were written before the Red Room of Pain (50 Shades). When I picked up 50 Shades to see what all the fuss was about, I was like hey, I've read this before...and it wasn't nearly as well written as tarasueme's work. Although, I am looking forward to the movie. Not looking forward to not having anyone to play with after I see it...

For a while I read fanfic because it was freeeeee.

Lately I've been more into reading D/s related blogs.

I'll poke around and see. Thumbsup

I read 50 shades wasn't impressed at all. I read they hope to get three or four movies out of it, like Twilight (it's Twilight FanFic after all). I don't see it. There's just not that much story. I was skipping pages and pages of really boring badly written sex just to return to what little story there was.

I couldn't finish 50 shades when it was a fanfic, nor could I finish the books. Might have to check out some of those blogs...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
20-01-2015, 11:13 AM
If you're into science, A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss is great.

It's taking me forever to read The God Delusion. In my humble opinion, it does get a bit tedious at times.

I have also read Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne. I would recommend it, again, if you're into science.

Both Krauss' and Coyne's books address many issues raised by anti science/evolution theists.
[+] 1 user Likes JakSiemasz's post
20-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Probably the most life-changing book I've read in a while for me personally is Sam Harris', "The Moral Landscape".

This debate where Sam just destroys WLC will give you the jist, but obviously the book is much more in-depth.

Here's the debate w just Sam's arguments, will save you much time and exasperation of WLC's buffoonery and back petaling.

Sam Harris vs William Lane Craig Edited to be Onl…: http://youtu.be/R8FRqMK8OOY
20-01-2015, 12:07 PM
(20-01-2015 11:13 AM)JakSiemasz Wrote:  If you're into science, A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss is great.

It's taking me forever to read The God Delusion. In my humble opinion, it does get a bit tedious at times.

I have also read Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne. I would recommend it, again, if you're into science.

Both Krauss' and Coyne's books address many issues raised by anti science/evolution theists.

I'll have to check them out.
20-01-2015, 01:11 PM
The Christian Delusion, The End of Christianity, and Christianity is Not Great edited by John Loftus. They're all great, but if you only get one, I'd recommend the second above the other two.

It seems like I keep recommending Sense and Goodness Without God by Richard Carrier damn near every time I end up posting here, and of course I have to do it again. It's a great one-stop resource for you if you're a naturalist who wants to be able to defend your worldview as much as attack theism.

I'm just thinking out loud.
20-01-2015, 01:27 PM
(20-01-2015 12:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I dunno I only read smut. Shy

I tried reading the God Delusion, I never got beyond the second chapter.

I did get further into god is not good by Hitchens

But then I went back to reading smut. Blush

HAHAHAH. You should check out Colette Gale. Literary smut. You'll never think of Phantom of the Opera (and Gerard Butler) the same way again.

On a more serious note, you should look at Mary Roach's "Bonk". Science journalism on smut. And sex. And it's hysterical. Like, reading it while I was on the elliptical at the gym laugh-out-loud funny in some points.

For the OP: anything by Mary Roach, Michael Pollan, etc. If you're looking for books on science commentary by journalists or other writers, I can give you a list. "The Poisoner's Handbook" was amazing - it really captured the time, places, and feeling of the birth of American forensics.

(20-01-2015 09:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Lately I've been more into reading D/s related blogs.

I'll poke around and see. Thumbsup

I read 50 shades wasn't impressed at all. I read they hope to get three or four movies out of it, like Twilight (it's Twilight FanFic after all). I don't see it. There's just not that much story. I was skipping pages and pages of really boring badly written sex just to return to what little story there was.

Pleeeeeze share with this sub.

Fuck 50. That was a terrible book.

I find a lot of good short stories on Literotica.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 2 users Like thesummerqueen's post
20-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Oh, and God is Not Great is probably best when listened to instead of read. Hitchens actually narrated that book, and it's amazing to listen to him...especially when trudging through a place like Wal-Mart.

Bill Bryson is another author to look up. A Walk in the Woods also had incredibly funny, laugh out loud moments, but his other books come highly recommended as well...including A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Here are a few others:

-The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
Not as dry as it sounds, I promise. I never thought I'd be held rapt by a book about a disease that causes you to shit yourself, but the investigatory techniques were fun to follow.

-The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
I read this out-loud to my ex in several parts whenever we were in the car, mostly because I couldn't put the book down. He really liked it as well.

-The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
As mentioned

-Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
as mentioned

-The Botany of Desire
Pollan has some shit-fits regarding organics that I can't get on board with, but otherwise he sees the plant world in a very interesting way. This book basically blew my mind and jumpstarted me trying to get a hort degree (damn you college not having the rest of the classes at night!) It is one fo the more fascinating books discussing botany I've read.

-Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress, Harms the Planet, and Threatens Our Lives
Very good book on why people are shite at understanding science - especially here in America.

-You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself
It sounds like the start of a buzzfeed article, but it and its similarly named podcast are extremely interesting when it comes to discussing psychology.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
20-01-2015, 04:11 PM
(19-01-2015 11:52 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  I just came to the realization that the only books I have are about brewing beer and war, no science or anything otherwise. I figured it was time to add to that. I'm on Amazon.com and in my cart I have "The origin of species" and "The god delusion". Any other suggestions?

I haven't read The God Delusion as I suspect that it would be preaching to the choir as it were. Given the poor reviews here I'm less likely than ever.

If you're interested in biology, Dawkins' "The Ancestors Tale" is a decent read. It's thick and fairly dense but the individual tales are fairly brief, there's little preaching by Dawkins and the stories are fascinating.

The Science of Discworld (any of them) are great fun and are largely science with some entertaining narrative to keep things from getting dull. It isn't any single field but a mix of various different topics that can provide a good starting place for more serious study.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
20-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Misquoting Jesus. Loved it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-01-2015, 06:40 PM
`The Portable Atheist.` Christopher Hitchens. `The Greatest Show on Eartth.` Richard Dawkins. `The Grand Design.` Stephen Hawking.

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo