Good reads?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: Good reads?
(20-01-2015 01:38 PM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  Oh, and God is Not Great is probably best when listened to instead of read. Hitchens actually narrated that book, and it's amazing to listen to him...especially when trudging through a place like Wal-Mart.

Bill Bryson is another author to look up. A Walk in the Woods also had incredibly funny, laugh out loud moments, but his other books come highly recommended as well...including A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Here are a few others:

-The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
Not as dry as it sounds, I promise. I never thought I'd be held rapt by a book about a disease that causes you to shit yourself, but the investigatory techniques were fun to follow.

-The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
I read this out-loud to my ex in several parts whenever we were in the car, mostly because I couldn't put the book down. He really liked it as well.

-The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
As mentioned

-Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
as mentioned

-The Botany of Desire
Pollan has some shit-fits regarding organics that I can't get on board with, but otherwise he sees the plant world in a very interesting way. This book basically blew my mind and jumpstarted me trying to get a hort degree (damn you college not having the rest of the classes at night!) It is one fo the more fascinating books discussing botany I've read.

-Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress, Harms the Planet, and Threatens Our Lives
Very good book on why people are shite at understanding science - especially here in America.

-You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself
It sounds like the start of a buzzfeed article, but it and its similarly named podcast are extremely interesting when it comes to discussing psychology.

I read Bonk. Thumbsup Hey, I thought I knew everything about sex but apparently.......I didn't.

Great book and well written too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post