Good without God (where I come from)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Good without God (where I come from)

Living in the SouthEast, being on the internet, and even when living in Southern California, this is what I faced when admitting I didn't believe in an almighty deity.

And yes, someone actually told me that dinosaurs aren't real. It was in high school while I was a freshman. It was a senior who told me, how fucked up is that? And back then I was really set on being a paleontologist.

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Paleo's post
22-06-2011, 02:05 PM
RE: Good without God (where I come from)
You should read my post I just put up. About the same thing.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2011, 06:26 PM
My mom called me today because she found out about this video. She told me that I should take it down so it won't come back to 'bite me in the ass' in the future because of any workplace or college that may judge me because of it. But uh... I think that defeats the entire point of the video. What do you think?

27-06-2011, 07:08 PM
(27-06-2011 06:26 PM)Paleo Wrote:  My mom called me today because she found out about this video. She told me that I should take it down so it won't come back to 'bite me in the ass' in the future because of any workplace or college that may judge me because of it. But uh... I think that defeats the entire point of the video. What do you think?

I think that once you posted it, you relinquished control over it. I kinda liked it myself. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Hahaahha I really enjoyed that video. Really if you applied to a college that saw this video and thought it presented you in a negative light than it's probably not the right place to go for "learning". The only places that would turn you away for this video are the ones that believe in creationism.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
27-06-2011, 07:21 PM
(27-06-2011 07:12 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Hahaahha I really enjoyed that video. Really if you applied to a college that saw this video and thought it presented you in a negative light than it's probably not the right place to go for "learning". The only places that would turn you away for this video are the ones that believe in creationism.

Yeah, really the only places I have to worry about are private 'christian' colleges, which sound like a contradiction.

And plus my field of study is biology so... I don't think I'll have much trouble there.

28-06-2011, 02:27 AM

Watching that video I realised there is a huge culture divide between Great Britain/ Europe and america. Over here, there is quite a high percentage of atheists of any sort, agnostic or not. As well as that, people don't really care, if your an atheist, so what? The chances are that the person your talking to probably is too.
Increasingly its the religious that have to justify their place in society.

Your video is really interesting as it does highlight different responses across countries. The nearest I get to debate is a drunk guy at a party going " I want to challenge your Atheist Beliefs " and then falling over. It really is, and I am shocked I suppose about the way that employers could select against you because your an Atheist. Sometimes I start a debate with a Christian only to realise that their version of Christianity is a liberal one, which is completely different to the fundamentalist shit peddlers you get across the pond. No religion is trying to prove itself over here, as they know that people not indoctrinated, just don't believe in it.

There is a culture of skepticism in Europe in the same way there's a culture of believer-ism in america. It would be interesting to discuss the reasons why this is the case.

Anyway, good luck, and sympathy for all the shit you get in america.
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Hm... turns out my mom decided to leave a comment on the video:

"Prove to me Joshua that there is no GOD!! God gave you life and I am´╗┐ really disappointed in finding this video"

I'm really not the one with the burden of proof here...

Also, I don't think she would be willing to go down the rabbit hole even if I tried to explain things to her.

28-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry man, that sucks. I think you're right about your mom not wanting to even see your side of the story, her comment seems very pinhole viewish to me. You could always throw the don't judge lest ye be judged at her, or "just love me and accept me for who I am like you're supposed to, I do it for you even though you're clearly insane..."
If worse comes to worse you could look on craigslist for a new mom.... Hopefully you see that I am only joking. Big Grin

Good luck.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
28-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Cool Vid Big Grin

I like the crazy overreaction part, that had me laughing, I showed it to my husband, and he really liked it too!

*subs*

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]