Goodbye TTA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Goodbye TTA
I've decided to leave TTA forums, mainly because I've changed my views on Religion. Though I still consider Religion to be ridiculous, I no longer think of it as something that needs to be actively combated or debated. What I've realized is, people aren't built around religion, religion is built around people. Why don't Muslims eat pork? When the religion was being developed, they lived in an incredibly hot climate. Pigs have alot more fat than other animals, and if they were to have eaten pork, there was a good chance they would have gotten sick. Human beings need a morale code, a reason not to do bad things......So what did the uneducated do? They developed a divine reason not to do these things, and implanted the threat of punishment to keep them on track. It's for this very same reason that they're able to pick-and-choose from the Bible. As morality changed, so did the basis for the religion itself. What I've also noticed is that religion doesn't create hate, people create hate. Why do Christians actively attack homosexuals? They consider them different and simply hide behind religion when descriminating. Whether or not Religion was in existence, these hate-crimes would still occur, though they would be justified by other means. The enemy of a civilized society is not religion, it's a lack of education. It's known that as people become more educated, the need for a religion fades away and they're less likely to fear or be hateful towards other factions.

From now on, I will no longer openly be identifying as an Atheist, nor will I make any serious attempts to debate Christians. Since this is what TTA is built around, I no longer feel the need to be apart of this community. There are MUCH bigger issues at hand than religion.

And if I may steal Ghost's closing statement in all of his posts......

Peave, Love, and Empathy

Tim

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2012, 08:44 PM
RE: Goodbye TTA
(14-10-2012 08:34 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I've decided to leave TTA forums, mainly because I've changed my views on Religion. Though I still consider Religion to be ridiculous, I no longer think of it as something that needs to be actively combated or debated. What I've realized is, people aren't built around religion, religion is built around people. Why don't Muslims eat pork? When the religion was being developed, they lived in an incredibly hot climate. Pigs have alot more fat than other animals, and if they were to have eaten pork, there was a good chance they would have gotten sick. Human beings need a morale code, a reason not to do bad things......So what did the uneducated do? They developed a divine reason not to do these things, and implanted the threat of punishment to keep them on track. It's for this very same reason that they're able to pick-and-choose from the Bible. As morality changed, so did the basis for the religion itself. What I've also noticed is that religion doesn't create hate, people create hate. Why do Christians actively attack homosexuals? They consider them different and simply hide behind religion when descriminating. Whether or not Religion was in existence, these hate-crimes would still occur, though they would be justified by other means. The enemy of a civilized society is not religion, it's a lack of education. It's known that as people become more educated, the need for a religion fades away and they're less likely to fear or be hateful towards other factions.

From now on, I will no longer openly be identifying as an Atheist, nor will I make any serious attempts to debate Christians. Since this is what TTA is built around, I no longer feel the need to be apart of this community. There are MUCH bigger issues at hand than religion.

Peave, Love, and Empathy

Tim

Mother fucker! Don't leave.

This community is built more than on lack of religion( which is really no a foundation at all.) hang in the other sections, it's not like we are going to fault you for it.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-10-2012, 08:49 PM
If you look, most of this forum has nothing to do with religion, despite having atheist in the name.

Ah well see ya.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
14-10-2012, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2012 09:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-10-2012 08:34 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  From now on, I will no longer openly be identifying as an Atheist, nor will I make any serious attempts to debate Christians.

Me neither. ... well maybe the atheist part when I'm backed into a corner by some idiot who I know is just too dim to appreciate the nuances of nihilism, so there's no point in trying to explain it to them. Then I go with something less subtle that they might have some chance of understanding, like atheism. But that's just a matter of convenience for me.

(14-10-2012 08:34 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  Since this is what TTA is built around, I no longer feel the need to be apart of this community.

That's not what this community is about, denial of the legitimacy of the concept of belief is just something that many, but not all of us, have in common here. But fair enough, you're a sharp kid and I wouldn't be surprised to see you back in 5 or 10 years after you've graduated University.

Farewell and be well Tim,
Bob

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-10-2012, 09:08 PM
We'll see if you still think it doesn't need to be combated AFTER you have seen active discrimination of yourself, or your friends.

Come back when you're ready.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-10-2012, 09:34 PM
(14-10-2012 08:34 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  ...Why don't Muslims eat pork? When the religion was being developed, they lived in an incredibly hot climate. Pigs have alot more fat than other animals, and if they were to have eaten pork, there was a good chance they would have gotten sick...

god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens Wrote:This helps to make nonsense of the usual "secular" explanations of the original Jewish prohibition. It is argued that the ban was initially rational, since pig meat in hot climates can become rank and develop the worms of trichinosis. This objection-which perhaps does apply in the case of non-kosher shellfish-is absurd when applied to the actual conditions. First, trichinosis is found in all climates, and in fact occurs more in cold than in hot ones. Second, ancient Jewish settlements in the land of Canaan can easily be distinguished by archaeologists by the absence of pig bones in their rubbish tips, as opposed to the presence of such bones in the middens of other communities. The non-Jews did not sicken and die from eating pork, in other words. (Quite apart from anything else, if they had died for this reason there would have been no need for the god of Moses to urge their slaughter by non-pig-eaters.)

Although this quote is talking about the Jewish prohibition against eating pork, it would work just as well when speaking of Muslims.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2012, 04:56 AM
I don't really debate religion either... I gave up on that ages ago.

Forums are still great fun to talk about almost anything else though.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
15-10-2012, 05:15 AM
(14-10-2012 08:34 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I've decided to leave TTA forums, mainly because I've changed my views on Religion. Though I still consider Religion to be ridiculous, I no longer think of it as something that needs to be actively combated or debated. What I've realized is, people aren't built around religion, religion is built around people. Why don't Muslims eat pork? When the religion was being developed, they lived in an incredibly hot climate. Pigs have alot more fat than other animals, and if they were to have eaten pork, there was a good chance they would have gotten sick. Human beings need a morale code, a reason not to do bad things......So what did the uneducated do? They developed a divine reason not to do these things, and implanted the threat of punishment to keep them on track. It's for this very same reason that they're able to pick-and-choose from the Bible. As morality changed, so did the basis for the religion itself. What I've also noticed is that religion doesn't create hate, people create hate. Why do Christians actively attack homosexuals? They consider them different and simply hide behind religion when descriminating. Whether or not Religion was in existence, these hate-crimes would still occur, though they would be justified by other means. The enemy of a civilized society is not religion, it's a lack of education. It's known that as people become more educated, the need for a religion fades away and they're less likely to fear or be hateful towards other factions.

Peave, Love, and Empathy

Tim

Good luck in your pursuits,keep them open......but not tooooo openBig Grin....
15-10-2012, 05:33 AM
It's ok. You're young, still.

See you soon Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Cheers dude Smile See ya around.