Goodnight, sweet United States

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 05:22 PM
RE: Goodnight, sweet United States
(13-12-2016 05:14 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Lets not burry our head in the sand. Fake news, conspiracy theory, pseudo-science and propaganda have found in internet and social netweork a fantastic way to spread themselves. That you share them as a joke, sarcasm or because you believe in them genuinly doesn't change much, it spreads and can reach more people, thus more credulous or manipulatable people. This is a problem with high connectivity. Misinformation and disinformation become more dangerous than ignorance. Not wanting to stop fake news, conspiracy theory, propaganda and pseudo-science to spread is a bit like being against virtue.

Yet, despite all this being said, its even more important to find a cure that isn't just as bad or worse than the ill in the first place. This initiative, while maybe filled with good intention, is definitely worse than the ill it seeks to cure. The only solution to bullshit isn't a bullshit police with little accountability and that can be subverted easily to spread its own specific brand of bullshit, but skepticism. The problem is that skepticism is complicated, requires involvement, temperance, patience, tact and honesty and these are qualities that are both difficult to develop and about as sexy as a perfectly filled tax form. If only politician would take education as seriously as their geopolitical interest. Lets just hope that the bomb can be disarm before it goes off.

This isn't filled with good intention. Your government knows exactly what it's doing. It has controlled mainstream media for a long time now. Demonising anti-gov info is not a new tactic for governments..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: Goodnight, sweet United States
(13-12-2016 05:22 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  This isn't filled with good intention. Your government knows exactly what it's doing. It has controlled mainstream media for a long time now. Demonising anti-gov info is not a new tactic for governments..

I agree with you on the fact that demonising anti-gov info is far from being a new tactic for governments but I don't place it above some idealist both within and outside the government who would champion this measure by believing the government they are working for wouldn't abuse or misuse this new legislation. Basically, I believe in the existence of nice useful idiots. I would even say they might outnumber the callous authoritarians, but its a distinction without much difference.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply