Goodwill CEO salary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: Goodwill CEO salary
(05-01-2015 04:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was about to donate to the Goodwill when my husband gave me the evil eye and told me that the head of Goodwill, Mark Curran profits 2.3 million US dollars.

Do you guys have a better place to donate used stuff? I'd rather not donate to a shitty organization.

"Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries International is not Mark Curran, nor does he make $2.3 million a year. The current President and CEO of Goodwill is Jim Gibbons, who in 2011 received a total reported compensation of $725,000."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/...DHrdV1w.99"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 05:44 PM
(05-01-2015 09:27 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Snopes rates the email that contained that story "Mostly Outdated and Inaccurate."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

"The worst offender was yet again for the 11th year in a row is, UNICEF - CEO, receives $1,200,000 per year, (plus use of a Royal Royce for his exclusive use where ever he goes, and an expense account that is rumoured to be well over $150,000.) Only pennies from the actual donations goes to the UNICEF cause (less than $0.14 per dollar of income)."

hahahahahahahahahaha ... and there I was as a kid feeling guilty for "Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF" and keeping all the money myself. ... hahahahhahhahahahahahahaha

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-01-2015, 06:24 PM
(06-01-2015 04:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 04:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was about to donate to the Goodwill when my husband gave me the evil eye and told me that the head of Goodwill, Mark Curran profits 2.3 million US dollars.

Do you guys have a better place to donate used stuff? I'd rather not donate to a shitty organization.

"Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries International is not Mark Curran, nor does he make $2.3 million a year. The current President and CEO of Goodwill is Jim Gibbons, who in 2011 received a total reported compensation of $725,000."

I am reading your link and it does say Mark Curran is the head of Goodwill and makes 2.3 million a year.

"GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man. "
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/...OWy9r6Q.99

It goes on to say that the Salvation Army director makes 13,000 a year plus housing.

Then I just checked around just now and several sites say the Mark Curran is an email hoax that's floating around the internet.

https://www.goodwillswfl.org/rumorresponse/

Hummmmm. Consider

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't get that kind of salary for an organization that claims to be non profit. Last time I knew COSTCO's CEO was limited to 5OOK.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
(06-01-2015 06:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 04:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  "Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

I am reading your link and it does say Mark Curran is the head of Goodwill and makes 2.3 million a year.

"GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man. "
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/...OWy9r6Q.99

It goes on to say that the Salvation Army director makes 13,000 a year plus housing.

Then I just checked around just now and several sites say the Mark Curran is an email hoax that's floating around the internet.

https://www.goodwillswfl.org/rumorresponse/

Hummmmm. Consider

goddam internet. Angry Big Grin

#sigh
06-01-2015, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 06:50 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
From the Snopes article: Serveral have already posted.

All snopes articles begin with the legend or email and after they debunk it or confirm it.

This was debunked.

Salvation Army: The information presented above is outdated, as W. Todd Bassett stepped down as National Commander of The Salvation Army in April 2006; the current National Commander of the Salvation Army (since 2010) is William A. Roberts. The Salvation Army is not required to file a Form 990 with the IRS because it is primarily a religious organization, but according to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Roberts' last reported total annual compensation was $126,920, much higher than the $13,000 reported above. Forbes rates this organization's efficiency at 82%, a fair bit lower than the 93% figure claimed in the e-mail.

Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries International is not Mark Curran, nor does he make $2.3 million a year. The current President and CEO of Goodwill is Jim Gibbons, who in 2011 received a total reported compensation of $725,000.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/...TsOMT8j.99

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-01-2015, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 07:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
Don't know how widespread it is throughout the federal government but my organization contracts out basic maintenance and cleaning and mail delivery to Goodwill Industries. The employees are generally unemployable in the private sector for a variety of reasons but they are all productive members of society making $8-10/hour or more. I have never seen a workforce more capable of staying on task. After seeing one too many times the dejection on the guy who does the vacuuming's face after he asked me if I needed vacuuming and I said "No." 'cause I was busy and shit, I stop what I'm doing and let him vacuum. And thank him. I always thank him. He ain't invisible to me.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-01-2015, 07:17 PM
I've always been a fan of the goodwill run ins I've encountered. It's always been a better option in my opinion than Salvation Armies or other like groups

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-01-2015, 07:46 PM
As far as other choices, look for other non profits that are local to your area. In my area we have a thrift shop, staffed by mostly volunteers, it benefits the local humane society. There is another that is a Community Relief org, they check out the folks coming in asking for assistance and then they can 'shop' for whatever they need in the store. They also run a food bank too.

But there are places in your area that need stuff, try battered womens groups and pregnancy assistance places.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-03-2016, 06:08 AM
(06-01-2015 04:21 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what bothers me is that the employees arent making minimum wage. I realize they are receiving training...but they are still working a job, and its not like minimum wage is all that much--- especially when ALL of your product is donated.

Actually, most Goodwills pay better than minimum wage. Stop getting all your information from Internet warriors and check things yourself. The minimum wage of any Goodwill employee is around $8.00 an hour.