Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in historic victory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 02:07 AM
Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in historic victory
Quote:A huge milestone has just been reached in the field of artificial intelligence: AlphaGo, the program developed by Google's DeepMind unit, has defeated legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in the first of five historic matches being held in Seoul, South Korea. Lee resigned after about three and a half hours, with 28 minutes and 28 seconds remaining on his clock. The series is the first time a professional 9-dan Go player has taken on a computer, and Lee is competing for a $1 million prize.

Go is an ancient Chinese board game that has long been considered one of the great challenges faced by AI. While computer programs now best the world's leading human players of games like checkers and chess, the high level of intuition and evaluation required by Go has made it tough for computers to crack. DeepMind's AlphaGo program is the most advanced effort yet, using a complex system of deep neural networks and machine learning; it beat European champion Fan Hui last year, but Lee Se-dol is another proposition entirely.

Link.

I will bet that it will win all of the games.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
09-03-2016, 07:45 AM
RE: Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in historic victory
Yeah... keep making them smarter...

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
09-03-2016, 07:53 AM
RE: Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in historic victory
I'm very much a Go beginner, but I thought Lee would win.

This is an amazing development in AI. Go is a really simple game to play...it's just an extremely difficult game to play well. I'd love to hear about the program coding. Is it, for example, just technology (speed etc) or have they refined the pruning algorithm?

Next game tomorrow (Thursday) at 13:00 KST.

I'm working my way through the books by Kim and Soo-hyun. There's also some good stuff on the InterTubes. Once I get up to speed, I'll start taking on people on the other side of the Earth. Literally. Because I don't actually know anyone else who plays Go. Yay for the Internet.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
21-03-2016, 08:30 AM
AlphaGo wins 4 - 1

You lost your bet
(09-03-2016 02:07 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote:A huge milestone has just been reached in the field of artificial intelligence: AlphaGo, the program developed by Google's DeepMind unit, has defeated legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in the first of five historic matches being held in Seoul, South Korea. Lee resigned after about three and a half hours, with 28 minutes and 28 seconds remaining on his clock. The series is the first time a professional 9-dan Go player has taken on a computer, and Lee is competing for a $1 million prize.

Go is an ancient Chinese board game that has long been considered one of the great challenges faced by AI. While computer programs now best the world's leading human players of games like checkers and chess, the high level of intuition and evaluation required by Go has made it tough for computers to crack. DeepMind's AlphaGo program is the most advanced effort yet, using a complex system of deep neural networks and machine learning; it beat European champion Fan Hui last year, but Lee Se-dol is another proposition entirely.

Link.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kyx's post
21-03-2016, 08:38 AM
I won a go match 1 or maybe 2 times. I think just once and that was mainly against easy computer program settings. Though I like the whole vibe of the game

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-03-2016, 09:04 AM
(21-03-2016 08:30 AM)Kyx Wrote:  AlphaGo wins 4 - 1

You lost your bet
(09-03-2016 02:07 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Link.

It was still close damn it.

22-03-2016, 03:17 AM
(21-03-2016 09:04 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 08:30 AM)Kyx Wrote:  AlphaGo wins 4 - 1

You lost your bet

It was still close damn it.

Close but no cigar Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kyx's post