Gospel of Barnabas - Muslims got it right!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 10:12 PM
RE: Gospel of Barnabas - Muslims got it right!
It is probably a fake or a forgery or something made many years after many of the other sacred text so it won't have any bearing.

Do you REALLY think something like that regardless of how profound or absolute the proof would be that it was real would change any christians views? Let alone the pope etc?

Even if they book was absolute and proven to be hand written by Jesus himself "which would be the first evidence that jesus actually exisisted outside of the bible and people 400 years after his death swearing he lived".

They would just Dismiss is as fake or hearsay and no one would pay attention to it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
04-05-2014, 10:16 PM
(04-05-2014 10:12 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  It is probably a fake or a forgery or something made many years after many of the other sacred text so it won't have any bearing.

Do you REALLY think something like that regardless of how profound or absolute the proof would be that it was real would change any christians views? Let alone the pope etc?

Even if they book was absolute and proven to be hand written by Jesus himself "which would be the first evidence that jesus actually exisisted outside of the bible and people 400 years after his death swearing he lived".

They would just Dismiss is as fake or hearsay and no one would pay attention to it.

It's never about the fundies, it's about the fence sitters.

Atir aissom atir imon
05-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:It is believed that, during the Council of Nicea, the Catholic Church hand-picked the gospels that form the Bible as we know it today; omitting the Gospel of Barnabas (among many others) in favor of the four canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Minor nitpick, but from my understanding, Biblical canon was already established by that point. The Council of Nicaea was more focused on establishing the trinity, setting up a date for observing Easter, and the Nicaean Creed.

First Council of Nicaea

Misconceptions - Biblical canon

The notion of Biblical canon is actually quite more complex. Now, it definitely was a man-made process where people picked and rejected various sources, but it's not like there's one official canon today. Seriously, in western Christianity alone, you'll find extra books in a Roman Catholic bible that you wouldn't find if you were Protestant. It gets even weirder if you throw Eastern or Oriental Orthodox religions into the mix. Check out the handy, color-coded chart at the bottom:

Biblical canon
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
(05-05-2014 06:11 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
Quote:It is believed that, during the Council of Nicea, the Catholic Church hand-picked the gospels that form the Bible as we know it today; omitting the Gospel of Barnabas (among many others) in favor of the four canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Minor nitpick, but from my understanding, Biblical canon was already established by that point. The Council of Nicaea was more focused on establishing the trinity, setting up a date for observing Easter, and the Nicaean Creed.

First Council of Nicaea

Misconceptions - Biblical canon

The notion of Biblical canon is actually quite more complex. Now, it definitely was a man-made process where people picked and rejected various sources, but it's not like there's one official canon today. Seriously, in western Christianity alone, you'll find extra books in a Roman Catholic bible that you wouldn't find if you were Protestant. It gets even weirder if you throw Eastern or Oriental Orthodox religions into the mix. Check out the handy, color-coded chart at the bottom:

Biblical canon

I learned something new today. I knew modern day religions didn't include all of the "inspired" ancient texts, but I didn't know they actually had different versions of bibles. I was always told there was one bible and all Christian-like religions used said bible (this is going back to my Christian days). Never really thought otherwise, thank you for this.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 10:21 AM
[quote='Im_Ryan' pid='561798' dateline='1399298568
I learned something new today. I knew modern day religions didn't include all of the "inspired" ancient texts, but I didn't know they actually had different versions of bibles. I was always told there was one bible and all Christian-like religions used said bible (this is going back to my Christian days). Never really thought otherwise, thank you for this.
[/quote]

You're welcome!

[Image: the-more-you-know-o.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Real or hoax, it only proves that fictional accounts will often not agree because there is no reality basis to make them consistent. Even if real, I wouldn't see this as evidence that there was a Jesus who simply wasn't God, but evidence that these stories are all fictional. I mean the Barnabas gospel reportedly says Jesus ascended into heaven alive - um yup, fiction.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
(05-05-2014 12:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Real or hoax, it only proves that fictional accounts will often not agree because there is no reality basis to make them consistent. Even if real, I wouldn't see this as evidence that there was a Jesus who simply wasn't God, but evidence that these stories are all fictional. I mean the Barnabas gospel reportedly says Jesus ascended into heaven alive - um yup, fiction.

Exactly, it's just one of those things that you can troll Christians with. Nothing more.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
(04-05-2014 10:05 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 02:59 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  It states that Jesus was not crucified, not the son of God, and predicts the coming of Muhammad.

*apparently*

Muhammad's as phony as fucking jesus.
Yeah, cuz you can't fuck someone who doesn't exist. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Quote:Biblical canon was already established by that point.

An argument could be made quite easily that the biblical canon is not established now.

There are so many branches of the bullshit which is jesusism and one of the main points in dispute is which "books" are holy.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!