Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news
Scientists seem to think the small credit card size fragment in which Jesus talkes about his "wife" is real although the dating is between the 4th century and 9th century. Since there was nothing written during the life time of Jesus this piece is just as reliable as any of the other written fragments that made it into the New Testament.

Anyway, it might get some discussion going about Catholic priests and marriage.

Oh, geeze, what am I thinking. Things will continue on as usual. Dodgy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10...24712.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-04-2014, 09:51 AM
RE: Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news
(10-04-2014 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Scientists seem to think the small credit card size fragment in which Jesus talkes about his "wife" is real although the dating is between the 4th century and 9th century. Since there was nothing written during the life time of Jesus this piece is just as reliable as any of the other written fragments that made it into the New Testament.

Anyway, it might get some discussion going about Catholic priests and marriage.

Oh, geeze, what am I thinking. Things will continue on as usual. Dodgy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10...24712.html
I hope they find that jesus was doing drugs or something.
It would be like that episode of south park. ("A Scause for a cause.")

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 3 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
10-04-2014, 10:00 AM
It's likely one of two things:

1) Old fanfiction

2) A forgery - scientists also say that a master forger could do it because the ink isn't testable due to the size. The biggest blow to its authenticity is the gross grammatical errors that a native Coptic would have not made.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-04-2014, 10:03 AM
(10-04-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's likely one of two things:

1) Old fanfiction

2) A forgery - scientists also say that a master forger could do it because the ink isn't testable due to the size. The biggest blow to its authenticity is the gross grammatical errors that a native Coptic would have not made.

For point 1 how is that different from the accepted books?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-04-2014, 10:07 AM
(10-04-2014 10:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's likely one of two things:

1) Old fanfiction

For point 1 how is that different from the accepted books?

Because the CoN said so.

In all seriousness, there is no real way to differentiate.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Meh. It seems probable the historical person had a wife. Probably had children as well.

This is probably faked though.
10-04-2014, 10:31 AM
There are many 'gospels' which xtians run from as if they were in a 100 yard dash. The Nag Hammadi texts show the variability of early xtian belief and it is something that the orthodox simply cannot stand.

That this is one of them is not a surprise. That it is in Coptic is not a surprise since the climate of Egypt is superior for preserving organic materials like parchment.

At the end of the day it does not matter. ALL gospels are fanfics written well after the events they purport to describe. Who cares?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-04-2014, 10:41 AM
(10-04-2014 10:31 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  There are many 'gospels' which xtians run from as if they were in a 100 yard dash. The Nag Hammadi texts show the variability of early xtian belief and it is something that the orthodox simply cannot stand.

That this is one of them is not a surprise. That it is in Coptic is not a surprise since the climate of Egypt is superior for preserving organic materials like parchment.

At the end of the day it does not matter. ALL gospels are fanfics written well after the events they purport to describe. Who cares?

If anything the lack of a wife in that culture would have elicited comment. A 33 year old bachelor in Galilee in the 1st century would have been unheard of. If there was a historic basis for the myths they were definitely married.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
(10-04-2014 10:31 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  There are many 'gospels' which xtians run from as if they were in a 100 yard dash. The Nag Hammadi texts show the variability of early xtian belief and it is something that the orthodox simply cannot stand.

Yup. Every other Gospel in the New Testament are copies of copies, etc. and has been tinkered with for over two thousand years. Why not add one more.

Whether Jesus was real or not doesn't matter, people believe he is (was) real. Unfortunately christians have a very rigid idea of what he is and being married is probably thinking too far outside the box. Because this would mean that Jesus had.....gasp!.....dare I say it.......SEX!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-04-2014, 11:22 AM
(10-04-2014 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Anyway, it might get some discussion going about Catholic priests and marriage.
Nah, couldn't have those wives getting in the way of the preferred pedophilia. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.