Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news
(10-04-2014 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Scientists seem to think the small credit card size fragment in which Jesus talkes about his "wife" is real although the dating is between the 4th century and 9th century. Since there was nothing written during the life time of Jesus this piece is just as reliable as any of the other written fragments that made it into the New Testament.

Anyway, it might get some discussion going about Catholic priests and marriage.

Oh, geeze, what am I thinking. Things will continue on as usual. Dodgy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10...24712.html

I would just like to point out that Catholic priests are actually allowed to be married. I knew a priest that actually had Jewish kids.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 04:11 PM
(10-04-2014 01:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I would just like to point out that Catholic priests are actually allowed to be married. I knew a priest that actually had Jewish kids.
Not exactly. People who are married before becoming a priest can become a priest, but once an unmarried man has become a priest, he can no longer marry. This wasn't always true historically, but it is today. The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
10-04-2014, 04:28 PM
The Huff post does a Jesus story.

Must be a slow news day.
Cool

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Here's a related discussion from earlier this year by Bart Ehrman, Karen King and Mark Jordan concerning the manuscript and its implications (or lack of them):

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
10-04-2014, 06:17 PM
(10-04-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's likely one of two things:

1) Old fanfiction

2) A forgery - scientists also say that a master forger could do it because the ink isn't testable due to the size. The biggest blow to its authenticity is the gross grammatical errors that a native Coptic would have not made.

I agree, but the grammar isn't necessarily a blow. i no ppl who right lik dis lol, that doesn't mean that they're 27th century forgers of 21st century texts.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
10-04-2014, 06:45 PM
(10-04-2014 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 10:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  For point 1 how is that different from the accepted books?

Because the CoN said so.

In all seriousness, there is no real way to differentiate.

"In all seriousness, there is no real way to differentiate."

Yep. So why, then, are you still a Christian?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 07:16 PM
(10-04-2014 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Anyway, it might get some discussion going about Catholic priests and marriage.

Oh, geeze, what am I thinking. Things will continue on as usual. Dodgy

Exactly what I was thinking. Probably would be a hot topic for a little while then would get swept under the rug like it never happened.

[Image: notagain.gif]
10-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Quote:The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry.

I wish it was that pure. It was changed because priests used to be able to acquire a great deal of wealth from their holy duties and they would leave it to their family upon their death. The church didn't like losing that wealth, so they said priests couldn't marry and had to be celibate.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
10-04-2014, 08:51 PM
(10-04-2014 08:43 PM)natachan Wrote:  
Quote:The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry.

I wish it was that pure. It was changed because priests used to be able to acquire a great deal of wealth from their holy duties and they would leave it to their family upon their death. The church didn't like losing that wealth, so they said priests couldn't marry and had to be celibate.

I have never heard this before, which is surprising as I enjoy Catholicism bashing! ... Immediately it seems to sit very sensibly with the rest of the church MO and makes way more sense than the married to the church crap that you usually hear.

Thanks for that. I'll do a bit of digging around on that one! Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
11-04-2014, 02:07 AM
(10-04-2014 04:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 01:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I would just like to point out that Catholic priests are actually allowed to be married. I knew a priest that actually had Jewish kids.
Not exactly. People who are married before becoming a priest can become a priest, but once an unmarried man has become a priest, he can no longer marry. This wasn't always true historically, but it is today. The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

You are correct that you can only be married prior to becoming a priest. In the Latin right this only counts if you converted to catholicism after your marriage. The example I gave was an Anglican minister prior to converting and had a Jewish wife, hence the Jewish kids. However in several of the eastern right Catholic churches you are fully allowed to be married and then become a priest and I'm pretty sure they can be pastor.
Also In terms of the history of married priests, this style goes back quite far since the eastern right churches have changed fairly little over the centuries.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc