Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Gospel of Jesus' Wife back in the news
(11-04-2014 02:07 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 04:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Not exactly. People who are married before becoming a priest can become a priest, but once an unmarried man has become a priest, he can no longer marry. This wasn't always true historically, but it is today. The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

You are correct that you can only be married prior to becoming a priest. In the Latin right this only counts if you converted to catholicism after your marriage. The example I gave was an Anglican minister prior to converting and had a Jewish wife, hence the Jewish kids. However in several of the eastern right Catholic churches you are fully allowed to be married and then become a priest and I'm pretty sure they can be pastor.
Also In terms of the history of married priests, this style goes back quite far since the eastern right churches have changed fairly little over the centuries.

So not catholic then but eastern orthodox.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 04:48 AM
(11-04-2014 02:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-04-2014 02:07 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You are correct that you can only be married prior to becoming a priest. In the Latin right this only counts if you converted to catholicism after your marriage. The example I gave was an Anglican minister prior to converting and had a Jewish wife, hence the Jewish kids. However in several of the eastern right Catholic churches you are fully allowed to be married and then become a priest and I'm pretty sure they can be pastor.
Also In terms of the history of married priests, this style goes back quite far since the eastern right churches have changed fairly little over the centuries.

So not catholic then but eastern orthodox.

No eastern rite. There are 23 rites in the Catholic church, the Latin rite, which is the most common and what most people imagine when they think Catholic Church, and the 22 eastern rite churches, and I think there is talk of adding an Anglican rite. Basically this denotes the style of the mass. The eastern rite churches were eastern orthodox but they returned into communion with the pope.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
11-04-2014, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 08:22 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-04-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's likely one of two things:

1) Old fanfiction

2) A forgery - scientists also say that a master forger could do it because the ink isn't testable due to the size. The biggest blow to its authenticity is the gross grammatical errors that a native Coptic would have not made.

Since the rest of the New Testament is "fanfiction" I'ma gonna bet on that one. Fits right in with the rest of the Coptic writings from the Nag Hamadi finds. BTW
if he existed, and he *wasn't* married, it would have been quite remarkable, as marriage was a routine expected part of the preparation for all Rabbis. He would have been the ONLY ONE, (well maybe there was one other .. but the other one they actually talked about). Celibacy was not seen as "more perfect", it was in fact a "flaw" and was looked down upon by the rabbis, who generally taught that men should marry at eighteen years of age, and if they passed 20 without marrying, they broke a "divine" command and brought God's displeasure. "Postponement of marriage" was permitted to some *students of the Law* so they could work on their studies, but it was temporary, and marriage was still expected of everyone. Family was EVERYTHING, and the *way* to immortality, and an (children were THE) essential obligation. (There was no heaven or hell, or *afterlife* as it's thought of today). It was thought that a scholar who never married "diminished the likeness" of God.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-04-2014, 06:13 AM
(11-04-2014 02:07 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 04:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Not exactly. People who are married before becoming a priest can become a priest, but once an unmarried man has become a priest, he can no longer marry. This wasn't always true historically, but it is today. The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

You are correct that you can only be married prior to becoming a priest. In the Latin right this only counts if you converted to catholicism after your marriage. The example I gave was an Anglican minister prior to converting and had a Jewish wife, hence the Jewish kids. However in several of the eastern right Catholic churches you are fully allowed to be married and then become a priest and I'm pretty sure they can be pastor.

*rite

Fucktard doesn't even know the terms of his own batshit superstitions.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-04-2014, 06:36 AM
I have had many a discussion that there is no reason that Jesus was not married with kids and that he had siblings. It was the cultural norm of the time. I also have the position the Jesus was not a poor carpenter but an educated rabbi with money. If the bible stories have any truth to the historical Jesus then that would be more likely since he was often called "rabbi" and there are accounts of him reading and other things that an education person could do. In that time only people with a bit of money had access to an education.

Needless to say I get dirty looks with that.

Oh and catholic priest can be married in the eastern rite. In the latin rite only if they are converting over from something that allows married ministers and they are already married, eastern rite, anglacan, etc. They can also have kids if they become priest after the wife dies, I know a couple like this. In the history of the catholic church it is relatevely new that priest are not allowed to marry. The first official position was in 1139 (second laterian council) and again in 1539 (council of trent). Mostly it was done to protect church assests from spouces and kids or priest upon their death. Current church teaching is for the "it takes away from the priest job" position. Most people do not know enough church history so it is an easy sell.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
11-04-2014, 08:15 AM
(10-04-2014 06:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Yep. So why, then, are you still a Christian?

I still have the faith that God gave to me that enables me to believe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-04-2014, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 08:34 AM by GirlyMan.)
(11-04-2014 05:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He would have been the ONLY ONE, (well maybe there was one other .. but the other one they actually talked about).

Who? Edumucate Girly ObiFullerene.

(11-04-2014 08:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 06:45 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Yep. So why, then, are you still a Christian?

I still have the faith that God gave to me that enables me to believe.

I'm just trying to have enough faith to get out of bed in the morning. You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

#sigh
11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
(10-04-2014 04:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

That's the generally quoted reason. We know historically it has to do with the division of property and the illegitimate children of the clergy that was becoming a problem. Nothing like reinventing history to remove the embarrassing parts.
http://www.natcath.org/NCR_Online/archiv...41202s.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-04-2014, 08:41 AM
From NatGeo

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...picks=true

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-04-2014, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 09:14 AM by Full Circle.)
(11-04-2014 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 04:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  The Catholic church sees marriage as a distraction from devoting oneself fully to God as a priest and that's why they don't allow priests to marry. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, already married men who become priests are limited in that they cannot become a pastor except in rare circumstances.

That's the generally quoted reason. We know historically it has to do with the division of property and the illegitimate children of the clergy that was becoming a problem. Nothing like reinventing history to remove the embarrassing parts.
http://www.natcath.org/NCR_Online/archiv...41202s.htm

Bucky, indulgences are mentioned in the paper you linked and I looked again at the RCC's dogmas looking for info and found that the Dogmas of the Catholic Church include

The Doctrine of Indulgences

The Church possesses the power to grant Indulgences. (De fide.)
The source of Indulgences is the Church's treasury of satisfaction which consists of superabundant satisfactions of Christ and of the Saints. (Sent. certa.)
The use of Indulgences is useful and salutary to the Faithful. (De fide.) D989,998

http://jloughnan.tripod.com/dogma.htm

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

**Couldn't find anything on marriage by priests.
Did find: 388 The Sacrament of Order can be validly received by a baptised person of the male sex only. (Sent. certa.) CIC 968, Par. 1.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce