Got Vertigo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Got Vertigo?
People who suffer from vertigo or a fear of heights usually have stories to tell of memorable events. Share if you care to.

I have situational fear of heights, not all heights bother me and sometimes just a picture or an image on TV can make me feel anywhere from anxious to severely nauseous. When I was a kid I used to climb a tree in my backyard that was 300' tall, no problem, get on the roof, no problem, climb a cliff side to take photos, okay.... driving on an arched bridge, nope, steep hills in the low mountains, nope, skyscrapers, even when viewed from the ground, big nope.

Years ago the David Letterman Show had a visual lead-in that turned my stomach every damn time. It was a nighttime view from a helicopter going into NYC and through some of the passages between the buildings and at the very end they would zoom up one side of the NBC building and pop over the top for a straight shot down on the street/traffic below. No matter how many times I tried to watch that to get used to it, it made me want to puke and I'd break out in a cold sweat. Bah!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
09-05-2016, 07:43 PM
RE: Got Vertigo?
I get vertigo when my allergies are so bad that they affect my ears. Just the spinning part. I hate it!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-05-2016, 07:45 PM
(09-05-2016 07:40 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  People who suffer from vertigo or a fear of heights usually have stories to tell of memorable events. Share if you care to.

I have situational fear of heights, not all heights bother me and sometimes just a picture or an image on TV can make me feel anywhere from anxious to severely nauseous. When I was a kid I used to climb a tree in my backyard that was 300' tall, no problem, get on the roof, no problem, climb a cliff side to take photos, okay.... driving on an arched bridge, nope, steep hills in the low mountains, nope, skyscrapers, even when viewed from the ground, big nope.

Years ago the David Letterman Show had a visual lead-in that turned my stomach every damn time. It was a nighttime view from a helicopter going into NYC and through some of the passages between the buildings and at the very end they would zoom up one side of the NBC building and pop over the top for a straight shot down on the street/traffic below. No matter how many times I tried to watch that to get used to it, it made me want to puke and I'd break out in a cold sweat. Bah!

I'm the same way, I could get up in a lift and work with no problem.
There's a part in the movie The Fugitive where there are helicopter shots looking down from Chicago skyscrapers that still make my stomach drop.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
09-05-2016, 07:46 PM
(09-05-2016 07:43 PM)Dom Wrote:  I get vertigo when my allergies are so bad that they affect my ears. Just the spinning part. I hate it!

Yep, I get that. Turn my head too fast and the whole room zooms with it. Sad

I also have a inner ear thingy going on because, sinus.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I had severe inner ear infections as a child and these have caused me some issues in my life. As you all probably know I spend a great deal of time under water, that means under much pressure. If I get a reverse squeeze in my ear I can’t surface and the pain is excruciating, it happens rarely but it has happened.

One time it hit me toward the end of a shore dive. I was in about 20 feet and could not go shallower. I became totally dizzy, the vertigo was horrible. Luckily I had my buddies with me and I wrote down “vertigo” on a slate. I think it must have taken 20-30 minutes to get to the surface and then I had to be helped to the car.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-05-2016, 05:32 AM
(09-05-2016 10:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I had severe inner ear infections as a child and these have caused me some issues in my life. As you all probably know I spend a great deal of time under water, that means under much pressure. If I get a reverse squeeze in my ear I can’t surface and the pain is excruciating, it happens rarely but it has happened.

One time it hit me toward the end of a shore dive. I was in about 20 feet and could not go shallower. I became totally dizzy, the vertigo was horrible. Luckily I had my buddies with me and I wrote down “vertigo” on a slate. I think it must have taken 20-30 minutes to get to the surface and then I had to be helped to the car.

Hug

10-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Heights make me nervous and do give me some vertigo. We were vacationing in Vancouver a couple of summers ago and went up to the top of a mountain on a ski lift. My husband was having a great time looking at the view; I looked solely at my hand on the safety bar to make sure I was keeping my death grip nice and tight. It was extra terrifying because there were BEES flying around us even though we were dozens of feet off the ground.

Last time I felt unsteady because of height was a couple of weeks ago--playing in a little club where the only way on and off stage was a wheeled staircase, no handrails, set at the center of the stage. The wheels were supposedly locked, but every step rocked the whole apparatus an inch or two and then back. It was like walking in a carnival funhouse, but in heels. I had to use a tenor as a banister. If the audience hadn't been there, I would have taken off my shoes, sat down on the edge of the stage, and jumped to the floor.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
10-05-2016, 06:02 AM
Not sure where my fear of heights came from or why it started. As a kid I climbed trees and climbed all over inside buildings on my grandfather's farm...often to extreme heights.

At some point that all changed. A quick shot in a movie over the edge of a building or something similar will send my stomach swirling and I will let out an audible gasp. If I slowly work my way over to look out at the vista in the mountains I am okay but I have to think it through and be very aware not to look over the edge.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
10-05-2016, 06:32 AM
In my younger days I had no problem with heights. I'd climb the higest trees without any fear. As I got older I developed this irrational fear of heights. I get dizzy and have panic attacks if I cross a high footbridge. As I hard as I try I cannot stop such things happening. Years back I was on a visit to the Grand Canyon and I decided to try and walk along a small trail. As heights go it was fucking high. My girlfriend was walking in front of me. Eventually I couldn't take it any more and panic started to set in. I knew there was a wider track/road higher up, so without warning I scampered upwards like a mountain goat till I reached the road. A minute later I heard my girlfriend screaming. I shouted down to tell where I was. She was very upset. She was walking along the ledge and heard a noise behind her and turned around expecting to see me. She screamed because she thought I'd fallen off the ledge. I found the whole episode very funny, but she wasn't impressed and gave me the silent treatment for the rest of the day.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
10-05-2016, 06:35 AM
I had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) once from slipping on steps and whacking the back of my head on a concrete step......

It took months to go away......

A pain in the ass, it was...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post