Got Vertigo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 07:28 AM
RE: Got Vertigo?
I think my fear of heights started at some point in my childhood. I have a childhood memory of coming close to falling off a cliff on account of my carelessness, but to this day, I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just a vivid dream. I don't know if only people who are afraid of heights experience these physical reactions, but when I jump from a high place in a videogame, for instance, I get an intense feeling of discomfort in my stomach area that becomes almost unbearable when the jump is performed from something like a mountain. In a similar fashion, watching videos like the one below makes my hands sweat profusely.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
10-05-2016, 07:39 AM
(10-05-2016 07:28 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think my fear of heights started at some point in my childhood. I have a childhood memory of coming close to falling off a cliff on account of my carelessness, but to this day, I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just a vivid dream. I don't know if only people who are afraid of heights experience these physical reactions, but when I jump from a high place in a videogame, for instance, I get an intense feeling of discomfort in my stomach area that becomes almost unbearable when the jump is performed from something like a mountain. In a similar fashion, watching videos like the one below makes my hands sweat profusely.

I can't watch that. No
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-05-2016, 08:27 AM
(10-05-2016 07:28 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think my fear of heights started at some point in my childhood. I have a childhood memory of coming close to falling off a cliff on account of my carelessness, but to this day, I'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just a vivid dream. I don't know if only people who are afraid of heights experience these physical reactions, but when I jump from a high place in a videogame, for instance, I get an intense feeling of discomfort in my stomach area that becomes almost unbearable when the jump is performed from something like a mountain. In a similar fashion, watching videos like the one below makes my hands sweat profusely.

I had to stop watcing as soon as he reached the top of the tower and went outside.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
10-05-2016, 06:17 PM
When I was about 14 I went to Lincoln Nebraska with my parents, they had a conference and we stayed downtown at a big hotel with a pool on the roof. I had gone swimming there in the afternoon and no problems, I stayed at the pool which was in the center of the rooftop patio and stayed in the pool.

That evening my parents were having a party in their room and there were way to many people so I went up to go swim again. It was dark and the patio and pool was lit up and though there were city lights it wasn't bothersome from the height perspective. I did the same as the afternoon, stayed in the pool and was there all by myself for about an hour. It started to get chilly so I decided to go back in. I'd gotten out of the pool and was drying off when my sister, who was 5yrs older, and her group of friends came up to the patio.

They were a bit rowdy and annoying, though they completely ignored me. They went to the edge wall and though there was a railing it began to make me queasy to see them so close to the edge. They kind of started pushing and grabbing at each other talking about what would it be like to fall 15 floors down. I started making my way towards the door, my head spinning and my stomach turning. It was almost more than I could bare.

Then they yelled at me. I froze, I could not move. My sister was not my bff and was known to torment me for fun. In my head a scenario began running, she egged them on and they ran over grabbing my up and carrying me over their heads towards the rail and in my struggle to free myself they dropped me over the edge. I could feel the bile rising in my throat and I knew I was going to puke any moment. Of course in reality, she chided them to leave the "baby" alone and when they turned away I broke for the door. I hit that door and leapt down the 2 flights of stairs to the elevator. When I showed up at my parents door it was open and I dashed for the bathroom and threw up.

I sat there on the cold tile floor for maybe a half hour because the room kept spinning. That scenario kept running in my head even though I wasn't up there anymore. It was the worst panic attack I've ever had. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-05-2016, 06:40 PM
My first experience with vertigo is when I was quite young. When I told my mother about it (many years later) she says I had to have been about 2 YO. I was in a room on the 2nd floor, and looked into a mirror that was leaning against the wall. I was sure I was going to fall into the basement. Turns out I was in my mother's mother's house. I am legally blind, so I couldn't tell that I was seeing the ceiling in the mirror- I thought it was a hole! I still have trouble on ladders and elevated work platforms. I learned about some balance exercises at askdoctork.com that have helped tremendously.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
10-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I only get vertigo in really high places, such as this. My friends who used to live in Atlanta, said "OK, we're gonna go have a drink at the Westin, Peachtree Plaza". When we got there, (after making me get out of the car on a cement triangle, on a busy downtown street, where they said "OK, now you stood on the spot where Margaret Mitchell got hit by the car that killed her Facepalm ), they said "up we go" ... fuck. 72 floors up in a glass elevator on the outside of the hotel. When we got to the top, I had the most expensive drink I've ever had. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-05-2016, 07:14 PM
(10-05-2016 06:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  When I was about 14 I went to Lincoln Nebraska with my parents, they had a conference and we stayed downtown at a big hotel with a pool on the roof. I had gone swimming there in the afternoon and no problems, I stayed at the pool which was in the center of the rooftop patio and stayed in the pool.

That evening my parents were having a party in their room and there were way to many people so I went up to go swim again. It was dark and the patio and pool was lit up and though there were city lights it wasn't bothersome from the height perspective. I did the same as the afternoon, stayed in the pool and was there all by myself for about an hour. It started to get chilly so I decided to go back in. I'd gotten out of the pool and was drying off when my sister, who was 5yrs older, and her group of friends came up to the patio.

They were a bit rowdy and annoying, though they completely ignored me. They went to the edge wall and though there was a railing it began to make me queasy to see them so close to the edge. They kind of started pushing and grabbing at each other talking about what would it be like to fall 15 floors down. I started making my way towards the door, my head spinning and my stomach turning. It was almost more than I could bare.

Then they yelled at me. I froze, I could not move. My sister was not my bff and was known to torment me for fun. In my head a scenario began running, she egged them on and they ran over grabbing my up and carrying me over their heads towards the rail and in my struggle to free myself they dropped me over the edge. I could feel the bile rising in my throat and I knew I was going to puke any moment. Of course in reality, she chided them to leave the "baby" alone and when they turned away I broke for the door. I hit that door and leapt down the 2 flights of stairs to the elevator. When I showed up at my parents door it was open and I dashed for the bathroom and threw up.

I sat there on the cold tile floor for maybe a half hour because the room kept spinning. That scenario kept running in my head even though I wasn't up there anymore. It was the worst panic attack I've ever had. Sad

How awful. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-05-2016, 06:23 AM
(10-05-2016 07:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I only get vertigo in really high places, such as this. My friends who used to live in Atlanta, said "OK, we're gonna go have a drink at the Westin, Peachtree Plaza". When we got there, (after making me get out of the car on a cement triangle, on a busy downtown street, where they said "OK, now you stood on the spot where Margaret Mitchell got hit by the car that killed her Facepalm ), they said "up we go" ... fuck. 72 floors up in a glass elevator on the outside of the hotel. When we got to the top, I had the most expensive drink I've ever had. Weeping

I'd have to drink a whole bottle of whiskey before I'd even walk into the elavator!Tongue
A case of "wake me up when we reach the top". Otherwise I'd take the stairs. I wouldn't care how long it takes.

11-05-2016, 06:37 AM
(10-05-2016 06:17 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  When I was about 14 I went to Lincoln Nebraska with my parents, they had a conference and we stayed downtown at a big hotel with a pool on the roof. I had gone swimming there in the afternoon and no problems, I stayed at the pool which was in the center of the rooftop patio and stayed in the pool.

Terrible.
Some joker tried to hold me by my legs over a bridge many years ago. I didn't puke, but I had a major panic attack.

[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
11-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Being held by your legs over the side of a bridge isn't a panic attack.

It's a real reason to panic...............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post