Got Wood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Got Wood?
Winter's coming here in Michigan.

So yesterday I put the patio furniture away and brought the woodshed (on wheels) up to the house and started filling it with firewood. The shed holds just over 2 cords.

This year I'm burning honey locust, mulberry, black cherry, walnut (yuck..) and osage orange. (yum). It's all seasoned at least 2 years.

Propane prices were way down, so I got a full tank. (500 gallon) If it's a mild winter - we should have just about enough wood/propane that I won't need to refill the shed this winter.

Any other wood burners here??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: Got Wood?
Our only heating is a wood burning stove. We run 2 radiators off it as well as heating the water. If we are out for more than a couple of hours we put coal on it as it then will stay alight for 6 or more hours.

We don't have the winters that you do so this one stove is sufficient for us although Mrs Me feels the cold more and occasionally will have another heater on for a few minutes. Fuel is anything we can scrounge from old pallets to a large wooden pavilion from a closed sports ground.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
13-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I'd love to get some more coal -- I have a couple tons left -- but it's gotten too expensive here to burn for heating the house... (almost $250 a ton) I just use it for use in my forge.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Gosh no....

In our area (newer constriction) we can't have a real fireplace. Weeping

I absolutely love love love a fire in a fireplace.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Fireplaces are pretty -- but you'd freeze to death trying to use one around here... Tooooooo inefficient....

My woodstove looks like a big black box the size of a washing machine laying on it's side....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-10-2015, 02:37 PM
(13-10-2015 02:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fireplaces are pretty -- but you'd freeze to death trying to use one around here... Tooooooo inefficient....

My woodstove looks like a big black box the size of a washing machine laying on it's side....

We have a friend that has two wood stoves (I think one uses pellets or something like that). They love them. They don't need to have heat on at all and a hearth like thing in the kitchen....it's super nice and cozy there in the winter.

We had a couple fireplaces when we lived in California. They actually worked fine for us. But the winters were only at the worst in the low 40s at night Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2015, 02:41 PM
I haven't burned any propane in 3 years. It's a treat this year with the price in the basement for a change.

Last winter the coldest we had was -28f.... ( -33.3 C) . One nice thing about a woodburner -- when the power goes out - you can still cook dinner....

Big Grin

13-10-2015, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 04:53 PM by Anjele.)
We usually get some wood together before winter. We have a fireplace but don't use it for heat unless the power goes out. We do start a fire now and then in the evening when it's cold but it's not our primary heat.

Ice storms around here are notorious for knocking out the electricity which is our main heat source.

Since it's still in the 80s and 90s here, we haven't even thought about stocking up yet.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Got wood? Bahaha that's really how you title your thread? Laugh out load I think you do this to me on purpose.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
13-10-2015, 04:30 PM
(13-10-2015 04:24 PM)Losty Wrote:  Got wood? Bahaha that's really how you title your thread? Laugh out load I think you do this to me on purpose.

What DO you mean???

Huh

OK fine.... Clickbait is a bit of a hobby of mine.....