Got a PS4. Total noob.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Got a PS4. Total noob.
As some of you already know, my hands are somewhat crippled. I've had four surgeries on my left hand this past year and a half, and finally my doc gave me the green light to try gaming.

I was given the PS4 Battlefront edition as a gift. I accepted graciously, since I know nothing about the different systems, and my brother plays on a PS4, so that means we can game together. So PlayStation has been chosen for me as my platform. No need to tell me what a terrible choice I've made.

It's been a very long time since I've played video games. The last one I owned was a N64 that I played for about a month before losing the use of my thumb. So tell me....other than FPSs (I know...the irony that I get Battlefront and don't like FPS) what are the essential games I need to bring me up to date? I'm already getting GTA, and love racing games. I'd like to try an rpg too.

Suggestions?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-12-2015, 11:19 PM
RE: Got a PS4. Total noob.
We have a PS3, I took it over as our Netflix machine.

Kids play games on the computer now.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-12-2015, 11:23 PM
(01-12-2015 11:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have a PS3, I took it over as our Netflix machine.

You did a good thing for the kids. PC is better and worth the money.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Nowt wrong with PS4's

My game suggestions are...

GTA 5
Battlefield 4
Fallout 4
The Last of Us
Tropico 5

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
01-12-2015, 11:41 PM
(01-12-2015 11:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 11:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have a PS3, I took it over as our Netflix machine.

You did a good thing for the kids. PC is better and worth the money.

Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Facepalm

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
01-12-2015, 11:51 PM
For what I know of PS4 games is slim, but if you're into playing a game that's basically like experiencing a Teenage hot cast horror film, Until Dawn is a great game.

I know some PS3 games that might be findable on the chance to download for the PS4 or however their capability is these days, like a RPG gem "NI No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch" or a interesting solemn game Journey.

Those are pretty much 2 out of only 3-4 games I ever wished I had a PS3 for the chance to play.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-12-2015, 11:58 PM
The last of us - Stupidly good storytelling and a solid game

Fallout 4 - Haven't played it but damn I want to. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are very good games so I'm sure Fallout 4 is too.

Eldar scrolls 5: Skyrim - Another solid game. I'd say if one like either Fallout or Skyrim chances are you like the other one too.

Gran turismo - Used to be a cook racing game, but I don't know how it's doing these days. It might be worth a try though. I don't even know if it's on PS4.

Aaaaand since you are a maple syrup bathing, hockey lover I guess the NHL franchise might be something for you, but I don't know if they are good or not.
02-12-2015, 06:13 AM
(01-12-2015 11:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  As some of you already know, my hands are somewhat crippled. I've had four surgeries on my left hand this past year and a half, and finally my doc gave me the green light to try gaming.

I was given the PS4 Battlefront edition as a gift. I accepted graciously, since I know nothing about the different systems, and my brother plays on a PS4, so that means we can game together. So PlayStation has been chosen for me as my platform. No need to tell me what a terrible choice I've made.

It's been a very long time since I've played video games. The last one I owned was a N64 that I played for about a month before losing the use of my thumb. So tell me....other than FPSs (I know...the irony that I get Battlefront and don't like FPS) what are the essential games I need to bring me up to date? I'm already getting GTA, and love racing games. I'd like to try an rpg too.

Suggestions?

Skyrim, but prepare to get sucked in...best rpg for the money.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
02-12-2015, 09:12 AM
(01-12-2015 11:41 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Facepalm

I'm sorry. I was just remarking on how we bought the PS3 for games but once I learned about Netflix...

It became the Netflix machine.

I think, when I'm asleep they might still the Netflix machine to play games.

I know my kids liked Uncharted. Especially my younger son.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-12-2015, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 09:34 AM by Adrianime.)
PS4 is awesome, good choice.

Last of Us is a solid game, I recommend.

People keep recommending PS3 games, not sure why since you don't have one (Skyrim is NOT on PS4, for example).

I haven't played this yet, but Final Fantasy Type 0 seemed to be well received and is of course an RPG.

(Action RPG) Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the first sin is a good game. If it is your first game in the series (which it will be) then it will probably end up being your favorite (alternatively, if you have played the other Souls games, you will keep spotting parts where it falls short of its predecessors). Just be prepared to study your surroundings and how enemies move if you want to avoid dying every 5 minutes.
I'll add that this game is generally labeled as "hard" or "hardcore" but it's really just a matter of think before you act. There are many different ways to play through the game since you build your character one point at a time. For example, you can focus on mobility, or defense, or block and retaliate, or long range magic. I like to mix it up and make a versatile build myself.

(Action RPG) Bloodborne is a very highly rated game. It's by the makers of the Souls series. My copy of Bloodborne is being shipped from Europe as I type this. It's available in the states as well, but I wanted the edition that was released outside the states.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post